Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #1

Bike stalling on occasional downshifts. Ideas??

Today for the first day (that I can remember) my 2007 Nomad has been acting funny. On occasions (not every time) when I would downshift, the bike would stall, and I'd have to hit the start button to get it going again. This sometimes happened when I was coming to a stop, or if I was just slowing down (like 5th to 4th gear, for a reduced speed limit). It's been happening all day, but not every time. Of course it made me paranoid and I had to feel very closely (I don't wear hearing aids when riding, so I don't hear the engine). This happened throughout my 200 some odd mile trip.

Any suggestions what I should be looking for? The idle speed seems a tad low, but I haven't touched/adjusted it at all (I'm not even sure WHERE to adjust it!)

I tried to pay attention to see if I was shifting any differently than usual, but didn't notice any change.

Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #2

I have an 07 also and the only time I had trouble with it stalling exactly as you mention is when I adjusted the idle to low.
I have to run mine at 1000 to 1100 rpm's for it not to stall.
Turn your idle up a tad.
There is a knob on the end of a cable at the bottom of the right hand ( as you sit on the bike ) air cleaner cover. Turn it forward to increase rpm's.
Yes I know you guys, it's not an air cleaner cover but it's the best way to explain it.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #3

If that does not help take that same cover off and clean the throttle bodies with carb cleaner and a tooth brush (old one).

Old 09-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #4

Boy does that sound like DéjÃ* vu to me (see my thread in Blowndoge's "Hesitation at take-off". I keep suspecting some buildup somewhere in the fuel system. Cleaned the throttle body with spray and stiff toothbrush. Then I took two spark plugs out and poured some Seafoam into the cylinders and let it sit overnight. The rest of the can into the tank. Revving it hard (1st and 2nd up to redline). So far no more hesitation or stalling. Next step: StarTron Enzyme fuel treatment. That should take care of cleaning the entire fuel delivery system, takes moisture out of it, removes carbon buildup, etc. StarTron comes from boating application and works entirely different than Seafoam. It's the cheapest way so I would say - try that first ;)

Old 09-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Hi, Make sure your plug leads are all the way on the plugs. One of mine came off the plug a little and the bike was doing what you describe. I pushed it on all the way and problem solved. It was also vibrating and down on power a little.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #6

The only time mine did that was when the idle was to low

Old 09-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Check the air filter(s) I don't know if you are stock or something else... Clean the throttle body with seafoam and a tooth brush. If today is warm and muggy it just might be the low pressure going by from Ike... less O2 in the air.. The mix will more or less compenstate for it, but the idle could drop a few beats.

If that fails maybe you will need to turn up the idle after all. Sitting on the bike under the air cleaner like can is a black knob on a cable. most of these are a little hard to turn clockwise the first time, and it helps if the grip is rolled on a little bit to let off the linkage.

The other knob called choke could be used by adjusting it out for a temp soultion since all it does is open the throttle plate for so much as you have it pulled out. This in on the left up front in plain sight.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #8

I think it is an inherent problem of the Nomad. Had it happen to me on my 05 more times than I care to remember. All the things stated can help but they are just small fixes. I tried everything in the book and still had it stall.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #9

After I turned my idle up my bike never stalled again.
Well, unless I did something stupid like put the kickstand down while in gear or tried to take off from a stop in 4th :-[
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #10

I've tried em all too and mine still does it.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:07 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Bumping the TPS seems to be the most effective way as stopping the low speed stall. I can run my idle a little lower now and it still doesn't stall..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-15-2008, 04:26 AM   #12

Blowndodge, what is the "TPS"? Anyway, I will try moving the idle ahead a little bit, and I just recently got some sea foam, so will try that as well (of course I just filled up my tank before arriving home ::) ). And I'll give the plug leads a push to make sure they are on tight. I'm just a bit concerned that a few of you said this is normal. I've never heard of it being normal for a bike to stall just from shifting from 5th to 4th gear while riding down the highway!

One sea foam question, I remember it being something like 4 oz to add with a fillup. Is that general, or do you really measure it going in? I'll have to see if I can get a measuring cup that's not for food usage!

Old 09-15-2008, 05:27 AM   #13

Brad is referring to the "Throttle Position Sensor". There's a procedure you can do if you're daring and experienced enough to adjust that sensor. Others will better explain what it does, I think in the end it won't allow the bike to drop the rpm too low and thus reducing the chance of a stall. If I ever come across someone who knows what they're doing, I might bribe them into adjusting mine ;)

Seafoam??? I don't measure, I go by feel - you can't overdose on it really, not with one can!

A word in general: If stalling is considered "normal" or a common issue with the bike, then I must say there is something wrong with that picture. NO fuel injected motorcycle should stall without apparent reason, and surely not a $13k one with a brand name on the tank!!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by moenko
Brad is referring to the "Throttle Position Sensor". There's a procedure you can do if you're daring and experienced enough to adjust that sensor. Others will better explain what it does, I think in the end it won't alloy the bike to drop the rpm too low and thus reducing the chance of a stall. If I ever come across someone who knows what they're doing, I might bribe them into adjusting mine ;)

Seafoam??? I don't measure, I go by feel - you can't overdose on it really, not with one can!

A word in general: If stalling is considered "normal" or a common issue with the bike, then I must say there is something wrong with that picture. NO fuel injected motorcycle should stall without apparent reason, and surely not a $13k one with a brand name on the tank!!

What he said. I never heard of this being NORMAL on a Nomad ???
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to scion0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Bumping the TPS seems to be the most effective way as stopping the low speed stall. I can run my idle a little lower now and it still doesn't stall..
Isn't that kind of complicated for us nonmechanical types? or is it so easy Nico can do it?

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad