Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > National Rally 2009 - Custer, SD

Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #1

Sorry no N. Dakota run

I had posted that I might make a N. Dakota run on Wednesday during the Rally and had several inquires from members about going with me. I apologize for not contacting those interested but I had a little bike trouble and felt that it simply was not a good idea to try the run.

I had installed the Vance and Hines pipes that I had taken off of my 05 Nomad to my 08 Nomad. When I did, I checked them over and they showed no signs of cracking. But about 30 miles east of Ogalalla on the trip to Custer the dreaded rear header pipe broke into about 2 inches out from the head. With the help of Rick and Ross, some pop cans, and hose clamps temporary repairs was made and I got to Custer. Also I found that my driving lights had quit and my stock rear tire was wearing extreamly fast. Feeling that I should not push my luck, I decided not to put the extra 400+ miles on the pipe and tire and therefore did not make the trip. I am sorry for not making the run and hope no one was too disappointed.

So now I have been to South Dakota 3 time in 4 years and still have not made it to North Dakota. I guess it is just not meant to be.

Upon returning home Rick loaned me a set of Cobra pipes he had taken off of his 03 Nomad. I installed the new Avon tire that I had setting on the shelf and made repairs to the driving lights. So the bike is now back on the road with a 120 mile test run Sunday.

Login or Register to Remove Ads