Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-30-2007, 08:20 AM   #1

Front end wobble

Yesterday I was headed to town at about 35 mph and a little old lady pulled out of a side street in front of me. When she passed I threw up my hands as a gesture of frustration and noticed a bad front end wobble. The tire looks great I'm thinking bearings.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Front end wobble

Have you checked for tightness first? With the front end fully supported and off the ground, the handbars should need some "encouragement" to move and not flop left to right easily. By that I mean if you move the bars either side of dead center the bars should barely move to the full lock posistion on its own weight. If if falls to either side quickly and hits the stops hard they are too loose.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #3

Front end wobble

Thanks Brad, I'll give it a try.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #4

Front end wobble

There's been a lot of talk about wobble. (see thread) Mine went away when I changed my front tire.

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...3106971&page=1

Old 11-30-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Front end wobble

thanks bob.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to donoller
Front end wobble

front end wobble can be caused by a lot of things bad tires front or rear steerig head bearing or just the way the bike is loaded . goldwings have a lot of this

Old 12-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #7

Front end wobble

My first Nomad that I put 63,000 miles on had an endless cycle of that wobble. New tire no wobble, tire slowly gets cupped (run the palm of your hand back and forth over about 18 inches of tire and you can feel the cupping) and wobble returns. Do over, and over for 3 new tires.

Went from the Bridgestones to Avon Venoms and it probably takes longer to cup, didn't put enough miles on the Venom's to get cupped very bad. Don't know what would have happened with more miles.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Front end wobble

Lots of good answers! Dan, my experience is that cupping is usually caused by underflated tires. Even marginally underinflated ones. As little as 5 lbs. I run my maxed both ends. 40 Front and 42 Rear. A good example to show would be if you took most of the air out of your front time and put you knee on it and leanded hard you'd see the tire flex inward bringing the sidewall edge inward as well. when your rolling down the highway this "flex inward" scrubs little "half disc marks" shallower going toward the middle of the tire.

Member # 0005

Old 12-04-2007, 12:13 AM   #9

Front end wobble

Quote:
Lots of good answers! Dan, my experience is that cupping is usually caused by underflated tires. Even marginally underinflated ones. As little as 5 lbs. I run my maxed both ends. 40 Front and 42 Rear. A good example to show would be if you tood most of the air out of your front time and put you knee on it and leanded hard you'd see the tire flex inward bringing the sidewall edge inward as well. when your rolling down the highway this "flex inward" scrubs little "half disc marks" shallower going toward the middle of the tire.
I always kept a good eye on my pressure, but only ran 35lbs, I've only got 5,000 on this one, maybe I should try your higher rate.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Front end wobble

Mine had bad front end wobble from day one with the stock Bridgestones. I put on a Metzeler front tire at about 10,000 miles and not a hint of wobble since. I just turned over 15,000 yesterday. So far, so good.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #11

Front end wobble

When I changed my front tire I noticed a slight wobble, it has increased to a bad wobble over this season. I am confident that when I replace my worn rear tire things should improve back to the way they were originally. I wonder if you replace both tires at the same time, would be the best way to avoid the wobbles, since mine only began when I replaced the worn front tire.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to donoller
Front end wobble

it is always better to change both tires at same time . the avons will not cup if you run 41 front and 42 rear stick like glue and very good in rain.also they have a new tire called cobra it should be at dealer s soon . how do i know this the 1800 gold wing is tought on tires and also bad to wobble at down speed between 40--45 ride safe

Old 12-06-2007, 11:44 PM   #13

Front end wobble

I have never had the wobble on the front end. I ran the Bridgestone on the front close to 18,000 miles. I now have Metzeler on the front and rear. Still a smooth riding bike.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #14

Front end wobble

Hey BD, I cranked the pressure up to 40 psi in the front and the wobble went away. Thanks

Old 12-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Front end wobble

Fantastic oldbiker! Some tire brands are far more sensitive to tire pressure than others and it's beyond me why that is. Just is... Ride safe!

Member # 0005