Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #1

Mounting your own tires

Who hear mounts there own tires the old fashion way, with irons or spoons? Is it difficult? There are several videos on youtube showing pros do it in 3 minutes, but I have the feeling that it would be a 3 hour ordeal. What has your experience been? Any specific tools that work better?

A set of tire irons from Harbor Freight will pay for them self on the first set of tires, so I'm seriously considering them.

Thanks!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Mounting your own tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
Who hear mounts there own tires the old fashion way, with spoons? Is it difficult? There are several videos on youtube showing pros do it in 3 minutes, but I have the feeling that it would be a 3 hour ordeal. What has your experience been? Any specific spoons that work better?

A set of spoons will pay for them self on the first set of tires, so I'm seriously considering them.

Thanks!
I mount my own tires with a set of tire irons. It's been my experience that removing the old tire is more difficult than installing the new one. I also have a Harbor Freight bead breaker, so that part is fairly easy. It was a real bugger to get that car tire off. I ended up using a Sawzall to cut the thing off. I mounted the Kenda in less than 10 minutes.

Once mounted, I use Dynabeads to balance them. Rides like a dream.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #3

Mounting your own tires

This is a good video explaining it.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #4

Mounting your own tires

I also do my own tires with spoons. I have the HF tire machine but only use it to break the beads. To use the machine I would have to remove the bearings from the hub, and I can't bother to do that. I can usually have the old tire off and the new one on in about fifteen minutes. I use pieces of plastic cut from an old Javax bottle or oil bottle to protect the rim when Im priying. Doing it on a warm day so the sum makes the tire more pliable really helps a lot as well. There ara a few decent videos showing how to change your own tires.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #5

Mounting your own tires

Utah I mounted my front tire a little ovr a month ago.I bought two spoons or irons from harbor frieght I used a 2x4 about a foot long with a 45 cut on one end and a 5 or 6 foot long one under my bumper to break the bead. It takes longer than a few minuets though. More like an hour and I kind of enjoyed doing this! The dyna beads was the hardest part and I just ended up pouring them in the tire and adding air my ct 195-69-16 should be here in a couple of days and i will give it ago again!maybe do the swing arm while I am there Wish me luck.Got your torque cones yet?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #6

Mounting your own tires

utah I change my own tires but I do it with a Harbor Freight tire changer with the motorcycle adapter or sometimes just the tire irons and use the tire changer just to hold the rim. If you are going to use the tire irons us a 8" c-clamp as a bead breaker it works great you can use a small piece of board on each side to give it a little longer area on the bead.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Mounting your own tires

I've read every article I can about these Dyna Beads, I know some people are swearing by them, but I just can't see how they can possibly work!

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 03-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Mounting your own tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham
I've read every article I can about these Dyna Beads, I know some people are swearing by them, but I just can't see how they can possibly work!
I don't know how escalators work either, but I still get on one.

Dynabeads work great. I've used them in my last 3 sets of tires.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #9

Mounting your own tires

I can vouch for Dyna Beads too. I installed them in a half worn out, cupped rear tire without telling the Missus. First time out and we had gone about 1 1/2 miles and got stopped at a stoplight and she leans forward and says "What did you do to the bike? It rides better". Go figure. The wear pattern on the tire has improved since installation also.

However, I don't mount my own tires. I take the tires to my local independent bike shop with the rim and presto.........mounted tires; everyone is happy.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 03-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #10

Mounting your own tires

I mounted my first rear tire but now I have it done. I had no problem breaking the bed but that tire did not want to come off the rim. The operation took me about 3 hours with tire spoons. The dyna beads worked fine but they were difficult for me to put in the valve stem. If I ever do it again, I will put the beads in before I seat the tire on the rim.

I have found a independent tire shop that will set an appointment and install while I wait. So far, it has worked out for me and I don't miss fighting the tire with the spoons and scratching the wheel.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #11

Mounting your own tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham
Does this help?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Mounting your own tires

With arthritis in most all of my joints I just don't have the strength anymore to do things like this. I can get tires mounted and balanced for $40. The rear tire is going to wear more than the front so I replaced my rear tire and then a couple of months later had the front replaced. That way I don't have to buy both tires at the same time or have them mounted. I have done car tires in the past but doing things like that is probably one reason my arthritis is the way it is.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #13

Mounting your own tires

I just bought a tire mounter and balancer. I have to mount tires on my wife's bike and mine so I'll give you an update in a few weeks. I spent $90.00 total for mounter and balancer from Ebay. I'm hoping that will pay off after I get these sets mounted. I was tired of motorcycle shops charging me more to mount and balance than it does for my cars.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #14

Mounting your own tires

billmac i know what you mean. This time as i ended up doing last I will just pour them in the tire.I had to break the tire back down last time and it was easier than trying to get the beads in the stem!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #15

Mounting your own tires

Gene,
They are charging too much for mount and balance. Are they taking the rim off the bike for that price? I get out the door for $27 when I bring the tire/rim in. I don't need an appointment either, I just roll in with the new tire and rim. They have me out the door usually under 30 minutes.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13