Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

Help with MP3 hook-up Vaquero 2011

I have a Shuffle IPod. I want to control it thru the bike controls. Today I got the Kawasaki Plug to the 2 connectors in the left fairing pocket.

Well.....the Kawasaki connection is big, 30 pin the manual says. My shuffle only has a plug for a headphone.What connectors do I need to get the shuffle to work thru the bikes controls....thank you ahead of time

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35842

If the only jack the Ipod has is a headphone jack, then you cannot control the device from the bike controls, you can only plug in an auxiliary cable and get the sound through the sound system.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

I'm told by my daughter that the Kawasaki cables only plug into a "second" generation I pod and that they are not sold in stores anymore but can be bought on Amazon. Would that be correct?

Old 10-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Can't help you there. I'm not an iPod guy, but that sounds like something Kawasaki would do.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #5

I have a 3rd gen iPod nano that takes a 30 pin connector at the bottom.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #6

MY kids say I,m tech challenged. Would like to see them play Astroids !

Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Advanced Member

After seeing this post, and knowing I asked my wife for a new (7th Gen) nano for x-mas with the distinct purpose of using it on the Vaquero, I noticed that the newer ones come with a "Lightning" connector. So if you want to use it with the Kawasaki Ipod kit, from what I can tell you will need a "30 pin 2 Lightning adapter" as seen here: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightnin.../dp/B009A5EIWC or this one that is longer.......which from all of the "short cable" complaints about the ipod kit, may be better: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightnin...htning+adapter

FYI.....

Dave
Rockford Fosgate Punch PEQ Equalizer
Garmin Nuvi 4555 GPS Unit
Kawasaki Aux Light Kit
Ipod Kit w/4th Gen Ipod
Laam Custom Seat w/modified Backrest
Avon Grips w/RACNRAY's mod
Aluminum Mirror Risers
Clearview Large Windshield
Chuckster Trailer Hitch
12v accessory plug
VROC Member #36236

"I have not failed, I just found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas A. Edison

Last edited by 0vationdave; 10-25-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #8

I don't know about all of you , but I'm learning a lot more than I care to know....and spending more that I planned...lol !

Anyhoo....once you turn your bike off , I noticed that my new(used) I POD touch is still on. How do you turn it off , other than manually ? If you leave it on does it wear on the battery?...just do not want the next thing I need to buy is a battery.

My wife is giving me the "eye" as I sold a perfectly fine operating bike to get this one that I said was "ready" to go and I am already getting anonymous packages at the door WAY to often...

Old 10-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by razwrld View Post
My wife is giving me the "eye" as I sold a perfectly fine operating bike to get this one that I said was "ready" to go and I am already getting anonymous packages at the door WAY to often...
Your new bike operates "perfectly fine", doesn't it? You don't have to use the iPod.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 10-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #10

Thumbs Up

I don't HAVE to use the IPOD...but it is part of my bike...and since it is..it is going to work properly....just of those things....don't give me something and expect me not to want to use it....

Old 10-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
Advanced Member

You know how much my Rockford Fosgate amp and speakers cost? 2 Trips to Kohl's.....
Rockford Fosgate Punch PEQ Equalizer
Garmin Nuvi 4555 GPS Unit
Kawasaki Aux Light Kit
Ipod Kit w/4th Gen Ipod
Laam Custom Seat w/modified Backrest
Avon Grips w/RACNRAY's mod
Aluminum Mirror Risers
Clearview Large Windshield
Chuckster Trailer Hitch
12v accessory plug
VROC Member #36236

"I have not failed, I just found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas A. Edison

Old 10-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #12

That's funny. Was worth it wasn"t ?.... I much rather go to Kohl's than hear about it all the time. Hey, I was raised in Hancock , Michigan. They thought I was crazy when I bought a new Kawasaki 750 in 1972 and had a 200.00 car.....didn't care...that bike was some kind of fast....never had ridden one until then . Slowest I ever went was riding out of the Dealership....after that...I found out what the throttle was for....heeeyah !!!!

Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0vationdave View Post
After seeing this post, and knowing I asked my wife for a new (7th Gen) nano for x-mas with the distinct purpose of using it on the Vaquero, I noticed that the newer ones come with a "Lightning" connector. So if you want to use it with the Kawasaki Ipod kit, from what I can tell you will need a "30 pin 2 Lightning adapter" as seen here: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightnin.../dp/B009A5EIWC or this one that is longer.......which from all of the "short cable" complaints about the ipod kit, may be better: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightnin...htning+adapter

FYI.....

Dave
I have the the second cable to hook my iphone 5 up to my Voyager . . . I trimmed the foam thingy by cutting off a couple of inches off its length, taped the rectangular controller of the Kawi hook up to its place on the foam thing and reinforced the ends of the connector wit a couple wraps of electrical tape at each end. The added length of this cord makes it a snap to hook up and secure my Iphone in the glove box. Before this I was using a 4th Gen Ipod Nano in it with the 30 pin and it was a bit of a PIA to hook up each time.

As for leaving it plugged in - I don't believe there is any power going to the Ipod when the bike is off so no worries about the battery. My phone pauses the music when I turn the bike off and - as long as I don't take it out and play with it, it picks up right where we left off when I turn her back on . . .

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Old 10-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #14

Using the ipod is not an option it is a must, the radio fades in and out way to much. I was amazed at how much better the overall sound was when I hooked up my ipod. As for shutting it off I believe it powers down automatically when you shut off the bike, and powers up again when you start it. What ever was playing when I turn off the vaquero is what is playing when I start it back up.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #15

I got Sena bluetooth for my helmet and stream music from my phone. Cost? Eh, it's part of riding. The bluetooth for 2 helmets was cheaper than the Kaw hard wire setuop.