PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered Air Ride and can't wait to install.

Zeineth
06-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Just ordered this for my 2014 Voyager from http://www.xoticcustoms.com. They tell me it should be as simple as swapping the bushing with my factory ones and bolt on and plumb and wire. I have vertically challenged legs and even with no air in the stocks I am tippy toe. This will allow for up to 9 inches of travel from top to bottom. Talked to a couple people who have this installed and they love it, although the install is on a Harley which is what this is meant for.

http://www.xoticcustoms.com/images/kit-content-with-remote.jpg

cactusjack
06-02-2014, 03:14 PM
I'm curious where you plan to mount the compressor?

Boscoe
06-02-2014, 04:06 PM
...up to 9 inches of travel from top to bottom...

That's what she said!

ponch
06-02-2014, 04:06 PM
9" eh? I have a feeling that's optimistic.

Jared
06-02-2014, 05:46 PM
9" eh? I have a feeling that's optimistic.

I think you're probably correct. I'd assume the position in the stock photo are the top and bottom position of the shocks.

Jared
06-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Very cool! I'm looking forward to seeing how the install goes and what your final results are.

Jared
06-02-2014, 05:48 PM
$500-600 for the kit isn't too bad if the ride is nice and they last a long time.

gssbmm
06-02-2014, 05:54 PM
the kit has 5 inches of travel for a lowest height of 9 inches highest height of 14 inches. saw this guys set up in Daytona seem like a stand up guy. kit looked nice and he was busy doing install every time we went by. I'm interested to hear how the install goes and ride quality

gssbmm
06-02-2014, 05:55 PM
blew all my part money before we got to him

ponch
06-02-2014, 05:58 PM
$500-600 for the kit isn't too bad if the ride is nice and they last a long time.

No it isn't bad. Factory shocks on my bike are $3400 for the pair, that's one front and one rear. Most people go aftermarket with replacements and they are about half the cost, tailored for the riders weight and load and are rebuildable. Still a chunk of change though.

ctc6698
06-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Does it have any damper control or simply height adjustment?

I paid over a grand for a single shock setup with dual controls to fit my Fury. I've been talking to the guy (Platinum Air Suspension) about a setup for the Vaquero, but I'm afraid the cost is going to be too high.

ponch
06-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Does it have any damper control or simply height adjustment?

I paid over a grand for a single shock setup with dual controls to fit my Fury. I've been talking to the guy (Platinum Air Suspension) about a setup for the Vaquero, but I'm afraid the cost is going to be too high.

If you have shocks made for the bike, they should have compression and rebound dampening ability as well as sprung for the weight of the rider/load on the bike. They also should be rebuildable, at least at the cost you are contemplating. I know Ohlins makes shocks for Harleys, but not for the Vaquero. My guess is that there isn't a demand for aftermarket shocks on that model.

Zeineth
06-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Not sure where I will mount the compressor yet. I want it in hand before making any decisions. And yes I was backwards in that the ride height was 9-14 inch and the drop is up to 5 inch. There is a damper inside from what I understand just not an adjustable one like the factory. Read allot of posts on Harley forums from guys installing this kit and they all love it. And yes it is a chunk of change but this is more for safety the anything else. I have sort legs and can not touch the ground properly as is and this is going to help me allot. I will definitely take pics of the install and post up.

Monkeyman
06-02-2014, 08:49 PM
Not a bad price. Rear air ride for my Vision (including the necessary bag liners) is about $1100 plus another hundred to lower the front an inch and another $200 or so for a skid plate. That's a LOT of money for just a single shock. If I want a 1-3" static drop in the rear plus a 1" drop in the front, it's more like $600 (much more "do-able").

Mr-Grimm
06-03-2014, 12:43 AM
Looking forward to the install. Let us know if you have any clearance issues.

Mr-Grimm
06-07-2014, 11:19 PM
Any updates?

Zeineth
06-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Any updates?

Well I know the kit is in Canada now but I have not received it yet. Apparently it is still in customs awaiting clearance. If I get it this week not sure I will be able to install as I am heading to Port Dover Thursday for Friday the 13th rally

Mr-Grimm
06-09-2014, 12:19 AM
Thanks, I'll keep watching

lunatic fringe 80
06-11-2014, 12:56 PM
I was looking at the same kit for my vaquero, how do you know for sure it will fit did you measure the collapse distance and the extended distance to make sure there was no binding?

Zeineth
06-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Yaa shocks have cleared customs finally and are being delivered today. To bad I am leave for Port Dover's Friday the 13th bike Rally at 6pm tonight and won't be home till Sunday. Oh well next week.

As the the shock collapse question. No, i did not measure the collapse distance of the Voyager. I know the shocks will mount because Xotic Customs first install of the kit was on a Vulcan 1600, just need to swap the bushing out for the stock ones. I don't plan to ride at any time with the shocks collapsed, I am installing these to adjust the bike to my size, i am short at only 5'6". So I will lower it a couple inches with the option to raise it when I put my trailer on and the wife behind me. So in short this if for function not show. Now, if it turns out that it looks killer then that's a bonus but no the objective. And sitting still I am not to concerned with it sitting collapsed even if the wheel touches the fender. It's not moving so no harm.

Zeineth
06-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Quick update. After a great weekend with about 50,000 bikes in Port Dover Ont for Friday the 13th, I was able to pick up my shock kit from the post office yesterday. Very nice product. I think I have determined for sake of ease i will be mounting the compressor in the tour trunk. I was thinking inside the right side lower front faring mounted to the crash bar but the trunk is a better spot I think. Sheilded from the elements and the holes are already there to run the cables and the air line. Solenoid is going near the battery I think and as close to the middle as possible. Just need to figure out where to mount the switch now. Some place convenient but discrete as well.

Mr-Grimm
06-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Take lots of pics of the install

koga
06-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Can you take a pic of the compressor. Say with a coin or ruler next to it. Wondering if it would fit in the left side air box now that I installed the chuckster kit. :)

Zeineth
06-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Can you take a pic of the compressor. Say with a coin or ruler next to it. Wondering if it would fit in the left side air box now that I installed the chuckster kit. :)

Yes I will take lots of pics once the install begins. (maybe tonight) And yes to the compressor pics. Bear one thing in mind about the compressor, I under estimated it's weight which is why i am moving it to the trunk. It is quite heavy. 2-3 pounds probably and will need a very sturdy mount to survive the pounding and vibrations of the roads.

Zeineth
06-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Another quick update. So last night after I had a buddy bring me a second motorcycle jack. Because one jack does not fit the frame width so we used two, one on each side to get the wieght off the rear wheel. We got the stock shock off and compared it to the Air shock. Both at full extension are the same 14" and the air shock is 9 compressed, don't know about the stock. We discovered the air shock's need to have the top bushing sleeve drilled out a little to allow it to fit the top mount on the bike, lots of meat in the top bushing sleeve to allow for this. The bottom bushing needs to have the sleeve pressed out and the sleeve from the stock shock pressed in and also need to the the flange on the stock sleeve ground off. The bottom rubber bushing might have to be trimmed width wise but won't know that until I can actually mount them. Going to be a day or two before I have time to go the next step.

Until next time, same bat channel, same bat time. ;-)

toogun
06-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Quick update. After a great weekend with about 50,000 bikes in Port Dover Ont for Friday the 13th,..........
Port Dover Friday 13th, June 13, 2014. No way to get a pic of the line of bikes, lets just say they where everywhere you looked!

lunatic fringe 80
06-23-2014, 10:52 AM
How's it it going. Any updates, you said you was going to but the compressor in the trunk but I was wondering if it would have fit behind the right side cover if needed. Thanks

element80
06-25-2014, 06:09 PM
How's it it going. Any updates, you said you was going to but the compressor in the trunk but I was wondering if it would have fit behind the right side cover if needed. Thanks

that would be a great place for it

Mr-Grimm
07-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Y'all reckon he got it installed and he's out enjoying the ride?

cactusjack
07-01-2014, 03:40 PM
I've been curious about it myself. He seems to have disappeared.

Top Cat
07-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Last Activity: 06-25-2014 03:18 PM