Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #1

SADDLEBAG GUARD chaps for sale

I've had numerous members ask me about these, so I sat down this weekend and figured them out. Why not? Everyone needs additional storage space, and to be honest, I like the look. I didn't think I would, but now that they're created, I like them. Plus, if I had had these on my bike when I dropped it, I wouldn't have a scrape on my bag rail right now. So, they serve 2 purposes (protection, space)

I have a 2001 1500. I'm not sure if the bag guards are the same for the 1500, 1600, and 1700. I'll do some research to figure it, but as of this second, I'm not sure. I'll update my post when I am certain. I can guarantee the fit of 1500 rails.

Prices:
  • With pockets = $40 including shipping to CONUS
  • Without pockets = $30 including shipping to CONUS
Paypal = wldn_jsn@yahoo.com (W L D N underscore J S N) at yahoo.com

Again, will be selling for more than this on ebay, but keeping price low for forum members. I can't find these for sale anywhere else, so my price point is based off the amount of time to create and materials needed...same formula as with the engine guard chaps.

Please note a couple of things in the pics. I will sit down and make a "for sale" set tomorrow. Finished these last night and wanted to put them on the forum.

#1 I used scrap vinyl to make my set, so disregard the different shades of the pocket and the chap itself. The ones I sell will be exactly the same.

#2 I realize the pocket is slightly crooked. I used the bar as a guide and later realized those bars are not 100% straight. The chaps I sell will be straight

#3 The pocket has velcro at the top. The pocket on the chaps I sell will be about 1.5" taller (when my garage door opener fits into it I'll be happy) but will be made the same (shape, velcro, location on chap, etc.).

#4 Each chap wraps around the side bar closest to the wheel and attaches with velcro in 2 places. The front and rear parts of each chap attach to themselves at the top and bottom closest to the bike (see pic)

COMING SOON: Saddlebag Chaps!!

Why? Protection against scratches and scraps. Plus, again, they look cool. Will be one strip the width of the top fo the bag (5.5") that goes all the way around the bag and attaches to itself on the underside. I've already got the fit correct, but I'm not done sewing a pair for myself yet. I should be able to finish them in the next couple of days. Once they are completed, I'll post them on the forum along with a cost. I've had multiple members ask me for both new products (rail chaps and bag chaps), so now they are here. Like the chaps, I'll work to expand the number of bikes I can make them for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0540.jpg (97.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0549.jpg (95.0 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0547.jpg (94.2 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0544.jpg (90.9 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0543.jpg (91.1 KB, 114 views)

VBA #02442
VROC Member
PGR (Patriot Guard Riders)
MMCI (Masonic Motorcycle Club International)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

01 Kaw Nomad 1500 (Vintage Red)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Bamabrat; 11-11-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Those are rear crash bars or saddlebag guards. Saddlebag rails are the bars that run parallel to the side of the bags (lengthwise). and protect the bags from side impact.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Those are rear crash bars or saddlebag guards. Saddlebag rails are the bars that run parallel to the side of the bags (lengthwise). and protect the bags from side impact.
Forgive my ignorance . Post has been updated.

VBA #02442
VROC Member

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Just trying to avoid confusion, no harm done.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #5

Cool idea. Where did you get the side air deflector for your fairing?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #6

I made it myself out of 1/4 acrylic and secured it with nuts, bolts, washers, and blue loctite. I wanted to do Lexan, but the only Lexan I could find that size was in a huge sheet for about $100, so I went with acrylic. I have the template at home. I can copy it and send it to you if you're interested in it. It wasn't difficult. The acrylic actually flexes in shape to my batwing. I finished it off with black plasti-dip (3 coats) then plasti-dip gloss (4 coats).

I was really surprised at how effective these are in blocking wind that was hitting me in the stomach/chest. They've been on my bike since mid-August and I've had no issues with them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0242.jpg (96.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0241.jpg (95.8 KB, 39 views)

VBA #02442
VROC Member

Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #7

Bamabrat, I have the exact same bike that you have, same color with fairing and tourpac. I'm thinking about getting a set of the saddlebag crashbar chaps, just not sure if I want to go that route just yet. BTW, good looking bike and thanks for the support to our Vet's.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 11-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2rat View Post
Bamabrat, I have the exact same bike that you have, same color with fairing and tourpac. I'm thinking about getting a set of the saddlebag crashbar chaps, just not sure if I want to go that route just yet. BTW, good looking bike and thanks for the support to our Vet's.
Thank you. The PO took care of it and I've made some additions of my own (removed passenger seat/backrest/luggage rack, engine guard chaps, lowers, batwing deflectors, tool bag, foot pegs, etc.). regarding the saddlebag bar chaps, no problem. I'll have them if you decide you want them. Just let me know. I enjoy helping vets. I tried to become one, but that was obviously not my path.

VBA #02442
VROC Member

Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #9

you should make those in to water bottle holder pockets.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #10

Suggestion, make cut outs in the chaps so we can still use our helmet locks.

My 2008 1600 nomad has helmet locks on both rear crash bars.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
Suggestion, make cut outs in the chaps so we can still use our helmet locks.

My 2008 1600 nomad has helmet locks on both rear crash bars.
No problem. Consider it done. My 2001 1500 has them too, but I never use them (and actually took them off and was planning on putting them somewhere else). I'll work on it and get a new set made with matching vinyl, bigger pockets, helmet lock cutouts, and then post the pics. If anyone has an indea for drink holder cutouts, I'm all ears. Remember that i don't fabricate metal or mold plastic. It if can be sewn, I can create it.

VBA #02442
VROC Member

Old 11-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #12

I am liking the idea already. Let me know when the water bottle issue is solved and I will hit you up via PayPal.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 11-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #13

I moved the locks up front on the upper bolt for the lowers works great helments do not hit ground and you can hang helment on the turn signal.

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 11-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtom69 View Post
I moved the locks up front on the upper bolt for the lowers works great helments do not hit ground and you can hang helment on the turn signal.
I moved mine up front also.
Much easier to use.
I don't hang the helmet on the turn signal though.
There is a how to on Gadgets page.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I moved mine up front also.
Much easier to use.
I don't hang the helmet on the turn signal though.
There is a how to on Gadgets page.
Didn't realize that, and I've been all over his page. Thanks TC. I'll look for it. I never even thought about it until VulcanE (moderator) came over to my house to let me measure his 1600 engine guard rails for chaps. I saw that he had his on the lowers (i believe), and I was duly impressed.

VBA #02442
VROC Member