Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #1

Premeux fairing question

I am wanting a Premeux fairing for my scoot but am wondering if it would be better to buy it without the stereo and speakers and and save the $500. or so and buy the setup myself and put it in? Seems like a lot of money for the radio kit.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #2

Premeux fairing question

I haven't installed one (yet) But I would pay the 500 for the radio. Every radio system I've seen for motorcycles is expensive but at least it would look like it belongs there and would be less of a headache gathering up parts and making it work. some may disagree with me.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Premeux fairing question

If it was me, I'd probably do it myself. Might be some custom fabrication involved, though. It would have to be better than wide open customs double-sided tape mounting system for the receiver in their fairings and a mounting angle so severe the cd player is useless.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-20-2008, 04:03 AM   #4

Premeux fairing question

I thought the same way should I or not well I did. A blaupunk Melbourne SD27 retails for about $200 US then there is the cost of the speakers. When my fairing arrived all I needed to do was to loose some screws of the forks and replace 4 of them with the ones Premeux sent, attached the power cord which is very easy to do, and its complete. I down loaded approx 17 hours of tunes on the SD drive. It's a nice piece of kit IMHO.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Premeux fairing question

I have the complete set-up Fairing / Radio / Trunk c/w Dragonfly rear Speakers. IMHO I would buy the Fairing without the Sound system. The speakers are adequate and the Stereo isn't too bad but it still distorts over 75 Mph. Personally if Kawi had the new sound system available I would have bought the Kawi radio/ intercom only - used an Amp to power the front & rear speakers and used my Old J & M headsets for Intercom / Stereo music on the Highway. Stereo speakers work well in town and around 60 Mph but start to lose it at Interstate speed and if it gets windy. Just my thoughts!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #6

Premeux fairing question

I would probably buy the fairing without the stereo as well, I have a $125.00 Pioneer unit that I bought used on Ebay for $35.00 and Pyle speakers that I bought on sale for $15.00. Its sounds not bad, but there are better sounding systems out there.With the wind noise and overcoming the engine noise, I can't see spending a ton of money on something that will be distorted a bit while your listening to it when moving, but thats my view on it. I can hear mine ok up to about 75mph, which in most cases should be sufficient. The Premeux fairing is very well built and Im very pleased with mine, however they are a bit pricey. Depending on how important listening to the radio is to you, should be the deciding factor on whether or not you want to spend $500.00 on a unit with speakers installed. If its a decent quality radio and speakers the price doesn't seem outrageous to me.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #7

Premeux fairing question

I got the fairing with only the radio box, witch is only a marine bubble cover. any standard single bin receiver will fit. I got a JVC KD AR870 unit that you can plug a USB memory stick right in the front.It has 200 watts (50w per channel). I got 2 sets of Polk DB 650 6 1/2" speakers (witch happen to be marine rated), put 2 in the fairing, and 2 in speaker pods that came from Dragonfly concepts and mounted on my FLHTCU tour pak. Sound is awesome with the Vance & Hines baggars, at any speeds. It's really a sweet set-up!
VulcanE

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #8

Premeux fairing question

Quote:
I am wanting a Premeux fairing for my scoot but am wondering if it would be better to buy it without the stereo and speakers and and save the $500. or so and buy the setup myself and put it in? Seems like a lot of money for the radio kit.
I'd get the fairing with the radio box, but not the radio. You can get a much better quality radio and speakers for the price they charge. The fairing is a two-piece unit, so you have plenty of room to work when installing the radio.

I didn't get the radio box because I installed a micro 50W amp with 3" speakers that used to mount to the handlebars on my 900. I plug in my mp3 player and voila sound. It's no good above 50mph, but works great in town. If I was doing it over, I'd get the radio box and install my own radio/speakers.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #9

Premeux fairing question

I have been contemplating the fairing addition for sometime now and my hold up was I wasn't sure I could stand not being able to see the road directly in front of the bike..... Yesterday the local Harley dealer was giving demo rides, so I went down to ride the Ultra Glide with the fairing on it to see how it was to ride with the fairing.

Well that was an expensive ride for me cuz now I am gonna bite the bullet and order the fairing for my nomad!!!

Maybe I am not reading these posts right.... How is the radio that comes in the Premeaux and does anyone have the Quadzilla?? The Premeaux comes ready to go and the Quadzilla will have to be painted. Both are big bucks for me

I also took of my back rest and back seat this weekend, added a mustang rear fender bib and a Kuryakyn laydown liscense plate bracket. Wow what a change!!! Baby's Got Back!!!!! My friends are all hopping around singing that song - "I like big butts and I can't deny...." Jackasses

I also rode several other bikes yesterday just to say I did it.

VROD - sucked, uncomfortable and my hands went to sleep in 5 minutes
New Cross Bones - springer seat and forks. - real bouncy, real fun, the seat is a koochie killer
new Rocker C - big rear tire, sharp looking and was exactly like riding a board. seat was hard as a rock.
Ultra Glide - best bike there Shook like a bastard when idling
Street Glide - giant vibrator when idling

All in all - the Nomad kicks Harleys ASS!!!!!

I would appreciate any opinions about the fairings - I will be ordering it this week

Old 03-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #10

Premeux fairing question

As i said I love my Premeux fairing w/ the radio which came with the fairing already installed. I also love my lowers. The radio is a blaupunkt with a SD Drive no CD so there is no skipping. I think i paid alittle more for it but since I just ride and I'm not a tecky I had them do it all so when it did arrive all it to was to connect the power to the fairing and off I went.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #11

Premeux fairing question

Hey Cookie, did your blaupunkt come from Premeux, 'cause when I got mine about 2 1/2 years ago, there steros were the pioneer units.
and Hollywood, The Premeux is the best fairing for the Nomad. All the Harley fairing accessories will fit, (I have the Kury dragon wings, the fairing mounted Kury mirrors, and a single windshield pouch).It comes ready to put on and ride!!!!!!

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #12

Premeux fairing question

Quote:
As i said I love my Premeux fairing w/ the radio which came with the fairing already installed. I also love my lowers. The radio is a blaupunkt with a SD Drive no CD so there is no skipping. I think i paid alittle more for it but since I just ride and I'm not a tecky I had them do it all so when it did arrive all it to was to connect the power to the fairing and off I went.
They must've changed the radio cookie. Serge told me it was a pioneer unit with CD player. Blaupunkt's are nice.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #13

Premeux fairing question

Is skipping a problem with the CD players??

Old 03-24-2008, 08:07 AM   #14

Premeux fairing question

Hey Hollywood, The 1st stero I got was the Kenwood marine unit. it sounded really sweet 'till I started down the road, then every little bump would cause it to skip. I returned it for a refund and started searching for another. I found the JVC KD-AR870. It had a USB plug right on the face. I said to myself "self, it's digital, it CAN'T skip), so I bought it. It plays CDs recorded in MP3 andWMA. You can get about 140-170 songs on a standard CD-R. When its cold, the Cd player will skip now and then, but at 70 and above, it doesn't skip at all. It sounds REAL good traveling at any speed. Volume is super loud. If I were you, I would get one that would play USB drives, or a SD drive. The SD's are the little ones like you use in a digital camera. The both are digital and can't skip. The USB's are larger than the SD's (physically wise). And a quality set of speakers are just as, if not more, important than a good head unit. The place I got all my stuff from was WWW.crutchfield.com and go to the car audio section. They are super people!

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #15

Premeux fairing question

My original radio was a Pioneer unit, and it skipped only when I hit a good bump, I replaced it with another Pioneer unit and it skips so bad that I can't even use the CDs unless Im parked. For this season I purchased an FM modulator so I can use my Ipod and listen to it through the radio and speakers. Now I won't have to carry anymore CD's around and my Ipod holds a 1000 songs. Im not sure about some of the other fairings that are available, but the Premeux is a really well built fairing and comes painted to match your bike, and is very easy to install.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951