Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to wompus
Veteran to Veteran

When a Veteran leaves the 'job' and retires to a better life, many are jealous, some are pleased, and others, who may have already retired, wonder if he knows what he is leaving behind, because we already know.

1. We know, for example, that after a lifetime of camaraderie that few experience, it will remain as a longing for those past times.

2. We know in the Military life there is a fellowship which lasts long after the uniforms are hung up in the back of the closet.

3. We know even if he throws them away, they will be on him with every step and breath that remains in his life. We also know how the very bearing of the man speaks of what he was and in his heart still is.

These are the burdens of the job. You will still look at people suspiciously, still see what others do not see or choose to ignore and always will look at the rest of the Military world with a respect for what they do; only grown in a lifetime of knowing.

Never think for one moment you are escaping from that life.

You are only escaping the 'job' and merely being allowed to leave 'active' duty.

So what I wish for you is that whenever you ease into retirement, in your heart you never forget for one moment that you are still a member of the greatest fraternity the world has ever known.

NOW! Civilian Friends vs. Veteran Friends Comparisons

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Get upset if you're too busy to talk to them for a week. VETERAN FRIENDS: Are glad to see you after years, and will happily carry on the same conversation you were having the last time you met.
------------------------------ ---------------------
CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Have never seen you cry. VETERAN FRIENDS: Have cried with you.

---------------------------------------------------
CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Keep your stuff so long they forget it's yours. VETERAN FRIENDS: Borrow your stuff for a few days then give it back.
------------------------------ -------------------
CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Know a few things about you. VETERAN FRIENDS: Could write a book with direct quotes from you.
CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will leave you behind if that's what the crowd is doing. VETERAN FRIENDS: Will stand by you no matter what the crowd does.
CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Are for a while. VETERAN FRIENDS: Are for life.
----------------------------------------------------------
CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Have shared a few experiences... VETERAN FRIENDS: Have shared a lifetime of experiences no citizen could ever dream of....
CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will take your drink away when they think you've had enough. VETERAN FRIENDS: Will look at you stumbling all over the place and say, 'You better drink the rest of that before you spill it!' Then carry you home safely and put you to bed...
-------------------------------- --------------------
CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Will ignore this. VETERAN FRIENDS: Will forward this..
----------------------------------------------------
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, served one hitch, or reserve- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The Government of the United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life'.

It's an honor to be in your company. Thank yo.

Mike "WOMPUS' Nieznany
1999 Nomad "Fronkensteen"
Viet Nam Vet 68-69-70
KawaNOW #00577
I'm sarcastic and have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against DRAMA, BULLSHIT & STUPIDITY!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Veteran to Veteran

Says it all doesn't it...
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 03-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #3

Veteran to Veteran

I for one am tired of all this "thank you for you service" B.S. I call it the Vietnam syndrome. Seems after the 1st gulf war it became fashionable whenever someone finds out a person was is a veteran they have to Thank them for their service.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #4

Veteran to Veteran

They were brain washed that everyone that came back from Vietnam was a baby killer by the media and if truth was known there was more babies saved by the grunts than were killed same for any war the media just has alot to do with how we and following generations are treated.

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 03-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Veteran to Veteran

Dave I could give a $hit if anyone thanks me for my 20 plus years of service. They didn't do it when I was in during Vietnam. Idon't need anyone's thanks now. I did it because I felt it was the right thing to do. Sorry you feel the way you do though. Seems as though you didn't serve our country as a service member. If I am wrong I apologize.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Veteran to Veteran

I'm going to go take a nap...

Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to wompus
Veteran to Veteran

Dave, you sound like the typical chicken sh*t Californian who ran to Canada while those of us who went to Nam fought, got shot up and died so you can sit on your self-righteous ass and make damn stupid comments!
I spent 2 1/2 years there hanging out of a gun ship Huey taking a few rounds and crashing one time too many. You my friend need to go back into what ever closet you live in and watch what you say about our country hero's / veterans...

Mike "WOMPUS' Nieznany
1999 Nomad "Fronkensteen"
Viet Nam Vet 68-69-70
KawaNOW #00577
I'm sarcastic and have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against DRAMA, BULLSHIT & STUPIDITY!!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #8

Veteran to Veteran

That's another over used word, Hero. I've not said anything bad about any vet so don't put words in my mouth. I'm just saying I get tired of people always thanking others for their service. A lot of people pull their military time because it's the right thing to do. Went in, did their job then got out. No big deal.

Also, I never ran to Canada.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Veteran to Veteran

I'm with you Mike. And yes Dave there were many heroes during all the wars we have fought. I really hate you feel the way you do. It saddens me to think there are Americans that can have the thoughts you do. If people want to thank me for my years in the service and being in places I didn't want to be while my family was back here in the States then that is fine. They don't have to thank me for my service. It was something I felt I needed to do.

There are over 58,000 Airmen, Soldiers, Marines and Sailors that can't take anyones thanks or defend themselves as they lost their life in Vietnam. Many more than that were killed in World War I and World War II so you can sit back and make remarks that no American should think much less say. It is because of those men and women and the lucky ones that returned home so you have the right to say the weird things you say. I want waste any more space here because you just aren't worth the trouble.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #10

Veteran to Veteran

Guys STOP twisting what I've written around.

FYI, I'm a vet. 11B20 not some REMF. I did my time because back in the day every male in my family was expected to pull their time. I enlisted 3 months after my 17th birthday. I volunteered for infantry. I volunteer for combat. I did my 4 years then got out. Hell I even have a VA card in my wallet! The Government had their shot with me.

I'm sick of being "thanked" by people just because I served. And just because I'm a Vet, I'm not a hero.

"self-righteous ass and make damn stupid comments!" I believe, going by your standards, I've EARNED the right to say them.

I will say one thing for all you people that have retired from the service, You have my respect. Especially if you were in a combat MOS. There's no way I could have pulled 20 years when I was in.

This is the last I post on this subject.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Veteran to Veteran

Geez....I happened upon this thread and was kind of dumbstruck by the text and tone of the conversation. Having served his time for our country, I do believe Dave has EARNED the right to say what he feels. Having never served myself, I personally have a deep respect for ANYONE who has....whether they did so voluntarily or not.

I was sitting in the pharmacy at Walgreens the other day waiting on a prescription. There was another fellow waiting who had to be around 80 yrs old wearing a WWII Vet baseball cap. I kept looking at him and could not stop wondering what kind of mayhem he may have endured, if he was hurt, did he actually kill people...or just train pilots stateside...??

My moms Uncle charged the beach in Normandy only to find himself later involved in the Battle of the Bulge. He was a regular guy who died when I was about 13. I work every day with guys who fought in Vietnam and rarely will they ever talk about the experience. The only time one of them really did was right after the movie Platoon came out. He told me that mobile infantry stuff through the jungle in small groups was just what he did. He says he came as close to dying from friendly air strikes as he did enemy fire....and that he did his share of killin' or be killed....and shared some other truly ugly stuff.

Anyways....I don't take lightly the sacrifice to us and our country that active and retired servicemen and women have dedicated, whether it was for one tour or a career. They have my heartfelt thanks and lifelong respect, whether I choose to express it or not.
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 03-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Veteran to Veteran

Problem is Kris he didn't inform us he was in the service. Until we had posted.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #13
Top Contributor

Veteran to Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
I agree his initial lack of full disclosure was a bit dicey....but he came clean and gave it his best shot at explaining his comments. Maybe I should have stayed on the sidelines for this one.... :-/.
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 03-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Veteran to Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
I agree his initial lack of full disclosure was a bit dicey....but he came clean and gave it his best shot at explaining his comments. Maybe I should have stayed on the sidelines for this one.... :-/.
"This is a forum that allows you to speak your mind".
I didn't like what Dave said in his first post. I decided to take a nap on this one. I've decided to interject my thought now. I enlisted in the Army with a buddy in Jan. 1970, due to some health problems, I wasn't taken. My father, mother and brother (three Viet Nam tours) served this country. I wish that I could have.
There, that's out of the way.
Whether Dave served in the military or not, shouldn't be a factor. Unfortunately I think he could have worded it better. We are a good group of people and I like it that we are dfferent. Like minded people have no reason to think. Different thinking people have brain activity, it will keep us alive longer. We should be thanking Dave for causing us to think, and live longer. We all come from different backgrounds, but have found common ground with the Nomad. Please lets not forget why we are here. Just rambling again, sorry.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #15

Veteran to Veteran

The original intention of this thread got off-track; and the "reaction-posts" to Dave's post were making assumptions without knowing the facts.

It goes to show this is an emotional issue; where opinions may differ.

It might be best if emotions were kept in check before striking-out and making assumptions; and the name calling could be tamed-down a bit also. ;)

I never read where Dave said anything disrespectful about vets. He merely said he thought that no one should have the obligation to thank a vet for their service. There was no reference about not being thankful for their service.

As a comparison point: I know several Vietnam fighter pilots personally who spent months bombing and killing people during the war. I can tell you these men do not like talking about their experience; they don't wear it like a "thorny-crown"; they don't like people to "thank" them; they basically would like the whole-thing to just simply go-away in their memory.

So, not all "vets" feel others have an obligation to "thank" them. ;)

Just saying... ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417