Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Top Contributor

New Forum Format

Don't get me wrong....I kind of like the newer format here with the "most recent topics" list and the "new topics" button at the top and such. They make things convenient for sure. The downside, and I think it is a major one....is that it seems as though we lost a little something in the regional boards as a result.

Regardless of where it was posted, everything goes to the top of the "new topics list". As a result, all KawaNOW members post comments in the thread, even though that thread may have been posted and meant only for regional members.

I find myself hardly ever even going to the regional board anymore because every post is now a global thing. I'm not sure I like that part of this new format. I liked having a regional board that you actually had to go to in order to read or post comments from our local members. After all....that is the purpose of having regional boards is it not?

What would be great, and I'm not sure if it's even possible, is if the regional board posts could be segregated from the main board and not included in the "new topics" list. That way we could still have our regional boards as they were meant to be....regional....and you would have to actually go there to see what's cookin'.

I'm certain this is an unforseen result of the newer format, but I noticed it almost immediately and am just now getting around to mentioning it. I have no issues whatsoever with non-region members posting on region specific boards....but you should have to actually go to that regional board to do so is all I'm saying. I hope this all makes sense....it does to me and I hope I am 'splainin' it in plain enough English to get my point across....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #2

New Forum Format

I could live with your suggestion, Kris, even though I have no problem reading what's going on in the other Regions when I go to the "New Topics" and I do enjoy many of the posts. Matter of fact it was very rare that I'd ever go to the *other* Regions when I logged on; I always stayed in my own back yard.

Your English is good enough as is your explanation. I see your point: What's happening in my Region is what I should know about first.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
New Forum Format

Understand exactly what you are saying also Kris. I enjoy reading all new post unless it is just something that doesn't perk my interest. I usually will hit the lighter side and the non motorcycle topics sections. Usually don't bother with any of the region boards though. That is the think I like about the new topic section. If something is going on it will appear in the new section.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #4

New Forum Format

I don't bother with the recent topics that much, I scroll down all the boards individually, not every board every day always, but you can see the new posts as you scroll down.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
Top Contributor

New Forum Format

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas
I could live with your suggestion, Kris, even though I have no problem reading what's going on in the other Regions when I go to the "New Topics" and I do enjoy many of the posts. Matter of fact it was very rare that I'd ever go to the *other* Regions when I logged on; I always stayed in my own back yard.

Your English is good enough as is your explanation. I see your point: What's happening in my Region is what I should know about first.
Exactly my point. I used to always go to my regional board first, then browse the main boards. There seems no point it that now...just sayin'...
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
New Forum Format

Oh man!!! wait til Trip gets hold of you.!!!
Just kidding of course.
The regional's use to have a password to get into them didn't they?
I hear you Kris but it does bring us all a little closer together. I think.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 03-07-2011, 02:15 AM   #7

New Forum Format

What kind of secrets does the NW region have?

VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 03-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #8

New Forum Format

I also tend to read the new topics first and neglect the regional boards. On the other hand nothing is stopping us from visiting every single board... Or bookmarking the regional board as the entry page to the forums...

I wouldn't mind having a longer list of recent participation history though.

And the "search" is useless. Some websites use Google as their search engine, I wonder if proboards could utilize that functionality?

E.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

New Forum Format

Netty, I'm not sure I see a problem with the new topics list. What ever good idea someone has should be shared with all of us. You have written some great pieces and I appreciated reading them. I wouldn't want to miss any in the future. Loaf
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Top Contributor

New Forum Format

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
Netty, I'm not sure I see a problem with the new topics list. What ever good idea someone has should be shared with all of us. You have written some great pieces and I appreciated reading them. I wouldn't want to miss any in the future. Loaf
Thanks....I get and appreciate that. My point is only that if somebody posts something about the service at say....AAA Motorcycle shop in their local town....and the info really only applies to those who live in a specific area, then there is no reason for the entire membership (unless they make the effort) to have to look and read through that thread and it might best remain within the regional board. Everyone who has ideas that would help the masses would surely post those on the main boards.

I just get the feeling that we could almost do away with the regional boards in this current format and I think that would be a shame. The regional board is how I got to really know and like the members in my immediate area....and I think we should make an effort to hang onto that to whatever degree is possible. With some Canadian members so close to me, I was always poking my nose in their board and vice-versa. THAT is what brought us all closer... ;).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
What kind of secrets does the NW region have?
I guess you'll have to ride up here to find out Jared....... ;) .
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 03-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

New Forum Format

Netty, Thank you, for making that a little clearer for me. I now get your point. And I agree.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 03-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
Mega-Contributor

New Forum Format

I'm not sure if Trip has any control over the format.

The problem I have is if you click on the new topics, you don't necessarily see what board the message is in. I know I have have replied to messages in sections I don't normally visit, like other regions.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #13

New Forum Format

OK, I do see your point Netnorske and on some level I agree with what you are saying. If one simply uses the "New topics" button to navigate the forum, then yes there is no point having any separate sections at all. On the other hand I do visit the other regional forum to see what is going on there and I must say it is nice to get participation on my local board from members of other areas. Perhaps the list of new topics could also include the board they are posted on. That way it might be a more conscious act to post on them. I don't think that excluding regional boards from the new topics list is the way to go. If it really is an issue that members are using the "New topics " button to navigate then those boards that are excluded will suffer. Kinda like building a new expressway to by pass a town and it dies a slow death from lack of traffic.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #14

New Forum Format

I agree with you Kris I sometimes find myself replying to something that was posted on a regional board that has nothing to do with me, I liked it much better when you had to go to a specify board to read what was going on in that area.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
Top Contributor

New Forum Format

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
OK, I do see your point Netnorske and on some level I agree with what you are saying. If one simply uses the "New topics" button to navigate the forum, then yes there is no point having any separate sections at all. On the other hand I do visit the other regional forum to see what is going on there and I must say it is nice to get participation on my local board from members of other areas. Perhaps the list of new topics could also include the board they are posted on. That way it might be a more conscious act to post on them. I don't think that excluding regional boards from the new topics list is the way to go. If it really is an issue that members are using the "New topics " button to navigate then those boards that are excluded will suffer. Kinda like building a new expressway to by pass a town and it dies a slow death from lack of traffic.
You might be on to something. I think is is far too easy to just hit the new topics button than search through individual boards. I'm guilty of it myself, which is what started this thread. It would certainly help if each post in the new topics section noted which board it was posted on...oh Trip....where are ye.... :).
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic