Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #1

Side Bag Protection Strips

OK....Rookie here. I thought saw a previous thread that indicated the strips on the stock Nomad hardbags should not have the goofy R/L markings with all the sign language. I think it stated the protection film just wasn't removed. In looking at the strips on my bags it doesn't look like any protection film, but does have the R/L + sign language, and I am afraid to start picking away at it. If it is covering some chrome I want to get it off (addicted to chrome)...I just bought the bike but if the stuff is just tape it has been on there for 5 years!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #2

I picked mine off with my fingernails without any problem. I think I know which is the right bag and which is the left without the labeling. ::)

BTW - Welcome to KawaNow! :)
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #3

Thanks Unwind....the rookie figured it out after finding Gadget's info. Leave it to a guy to ask before looking. My wife is always on me about asking where my keys, wallet, cell phone are before looking....so please don't add this to her list!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney
Thanks Unwind....the rookie figured it out after finding Gadget's info. Leave it to a guy to ask before looking. My wife is always on me about asking where my keys, wallet, cell phone are before looking....so please don't add this to her list!
If I have to ask where something is, it means that it is not where I left it. Therefore it is relevant to question the only other person who has; 1)access 2) a pension for moving stuff to wherever

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Given sun and time the tape cracks like a million hairs... When it is like that you will never get it off... The tape is totally transparent, but you really want it off...

Each one of those fool strips costs 45 bux last i knew. They are aluminum and thin held on by 2 face tape. If these come loose get them glued down with 3-M clear emblem glue, and once the glued back on place masking tape across them untill dry.

Do not bent these outward... If you do they will take a set and you will never get them in shape again..

One of mine came loose due to the PDI guy not getting off wax or mould release..

I don't really like them, and if they come off I will make my own from auto trim, or fill them and paint..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 PM   #6

The dealer never bothered to take those plastic cover strips off my bike & by the time I noticed them they'd baked on in the sun until they were hard as a rock. I picked them off with my thumbnail, bit by bit, over a period of weeks. What a PITA that was.

Those things are definately expensive, and you don't want to screw them up, but it's just brushed aluminum, and you could probably make an acceptable replacement without too much trouble. It wouldn't say "Nomad" on it, but the "Nomad" logo on mine is almost polished off anyhow.

My thumbnail is still too sore to go pick the rest of the logo off though. ::)

Old 07-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #7

I oppted to just get rid of them, when the bike had to have the paint work done by the Insurance.
Sure makes it a different Nomad....
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 07-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt

I peeled mine off a while back... Like Unwind...I figure I know my right from my left....though sometimes I get cornfused.... that's why it's just plain safer to have a beer in both hands!! LOL!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #9

When I bought my nomad new, a couple of years ago. The first thing I did was take every emblem off of it... of course the one's you guys are talking about just peeled off eaisly.... all the vulcan emblems on the windshield, tank and backrest etc, I sawed off with a piece of fishing line.... the only thing that gives it away is the little nomad name on the narrow strip on the saddlebag... I love it this way..... I've seen numerous people walk up to it and be talking and say, what is it... the other one will say I don't know... they'll keep on, till one of them will think to look at the vin tag on the fork.... it tickles me... plus I think it makes it look even better without all the emblems......by the way, it is black... ronnie

Old 07-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Mine were still on, I didn't realize that they were even there---I always wondered what the strange writing was--now I know. Not to bad to get off.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #11

Those strips came up on Ebay one time, they were quite pricey if I remember, about $25.00 ea.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #12

I just took mine off ( the film) came off easy. I thought that it was just the way they were and never gave it a second thought.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #13

I bought my bike used and they have been on there for 3 years they come off about 1/2" at a time

Old 07-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #14

I read this last night and went out to look. The strips were gone in less than five minutes. Thanks for the post. Without the warning, those protective strips might have been on there until they turned to cement. Sometimes, the obvious is right under our noses (or our seats).

Old 07-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

I think they list for $40 each. The second day I had my nomad, I wasn't used to the extra width and my left bag scraped a concrete barrier. It was cheaper to have the dealer do the body work and paint it than buy the parts from Kawasaki. That experience learned me quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
The dealer never bothered to take those plastic cover strips off my bike & by the time I noticed them they'd baked on in the sun until they were hard as a rock. I picked them off with my thumbnail, bit by bit, over a period of weeks. What a PITA that was.

Those things are definately expensive, and you don't want to screw them up, but it's just brushed aluminum, and you could probably make an acceptable replacement without too much trouble. It wouldn't say "Nomad" on it, but the "Nomad" logo on mine is almost polished off anyhow.

My thumbnail is still too sore to go pick the rest of the logo off though. ::)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11