Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #1

hunting idle after Ivan flash

after the Ivan flash my idle hunts for the correct idle for about 3.5 minutes. Is this normal? I was surprised that the bike would rev up to 2200 rpms right after startup. I took a video with my phone, any thoughts?

I will post the video in the next post
-ECU Ivanized
-Clearview medium with recurve

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #2

-ECU Ivanized

Old 06-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Totally normal after the flash....just let 'er do it's thing and in a couple of minutes, it will settle into a nice purr. This is usually normal on just the first cold morning start and for the rest of the day, starting it will bump the idle for a few secs, then down to that low hum again. It's just the motor taking on all this new information from the new settings.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dutch View Post
after the Ivan flash my idle hunts for the correct idle for about 3.5 minutes. Is this normal? I was surprised that the bike would rev up to 2200 rpms right after startup. I took a video with my phone, any thoughts?

Mine does exactly the same thing. I also have a Burnt Canyon Orange Vaquero and I put my gloves in the exact same place as you do.

I don't think it's a problem but not sure why it goes through the gyrations.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Grasshopper Backrest
8" Windvest windshield

Old 06-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #5

Do you have to let it warm up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dutch View Post

Or can you just get on it an go?

While many may let their bikes warm up - I sometime take off with less than a 3 min warm up time. After the bike is warm does it still require the long startup "Hunt for Utopia"?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2016, 12:56 AM   #6

That surges more than mine does, but they all do it. I just let it warm for a short time, clutch in so the clunk into first is eliminated, then go. It's always still surging slightly & idle hunting at my first stop sign half a mile down the road, but from then on is fine.

Garry "gv550" had a much faster idle which I imagine was initially similar to yours. With that much variation in your idle, I'd wonder whether you also may have a vacuum leak, as Garry thought he did?

Here's a quote from Ivan on the subject of the fast idle, taken from his thread, and also a post from Garry snipped from the same thread... Click the arrow's to be taken to those posts to see some of the surrounding comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_ipp View Post
There is no issue with the cold startup. ..it's different from stock. That's all.

If some of you want to send it back for an adjustment, I have no problem with that, but know that it won't run cooler anymore, and the better fuel mileage will be lost as well. Throttle response will also be degraded from how it is now as well.
You will have stock ignition timing at all the throttle settings that offer the improved mileage.

There is less throttle plate opening during cold start due to more advanced timing at small throttle openings... with stock throttle openings during cold start, the idle will go 3000 rpm or so. All the cold start processes had to be redone. All 3 testbikes never varied more than 50 rpm during warmup. This was tested in 15 degree temps as well as 70 degree temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
After my whining about the 2000 rpm cold idle (and learning none of the other Ivanized bikes rev that high) I've been busy tinkering. I wasn't able to find an intake leak but I removed and re-sealed the manifold anyway and replaced the throttle body complete with TPS. Also treated the old girl with new spark plugs and coolant and sprayed all my connectors with contact cleaner, and cleaned the TB and intake with carb cleaner.
I've had 2 real cold starts at freezing temps and a couple other cold starts and my bike now cold idles at 1500 and quickly drops to 1200. After 5 minutes it idles at 850. The bike still runs great and same good mileage as before so I'm happy!
I don't know what actually caused the 2000 rpm idle because I did several things but I suspect the other TPS was a bit out of range.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 06-28-2016 at 01:01 AM.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Mine doesn't surge hardly at all. It does go right up to 1500-1800, then after a couple minutes of riding, drops back to a steady 950.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 06-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
Mine doesn't surge hardly at all. It does go right up to 1500-1800, then after a couple minutes of riding, drops back to a steady 950.
Are you actually cruising at 950 RPM's? Your air and pipes must really make a difference.
2002 Honda 750 A.C.E. (gone)
SCRC 2nd Officer Central Jersey Chapter

Old 06-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilflynn View Post
Are you actually cruising at 950 RPM's? Your air and pipes must really make a difference.
Sorry, the idle goes back to 950.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 06-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #10
Advanced Member

The air and pipes could make a little difference in the warm-up idle. I have a BAK and 2-1 but mine only fast idles on cold warm-up for about 2 minutes then settles right down. I was out for a ride on Sunday flogging the motor through a hot river canyon, temps were about 88 and the temp needle never even got to the half or middle point on the run. It is worth keeping the settings just for how much cooler the bike runs.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies

I feel totally confident that my idle is just fine now. I wanted to make that video so we are all talking about the same thing.

I have to say that the flash from Ivan has really transformed the bike and unlocked the true performance of this machine, I love this bike now!
-ECU Ivanized

Old 06-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by randog View Post
Mine does exactly the same thing. I also have a Burnt Canyon Orange Vaquero and I put my gloves in the exact same place as you do.

I don't think it's a problem but not sure why it goes through the gyrations.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Good choice in color and glove placement!!! Great minds think alike
-ECU Ivanized

Old 06-28-2016, 04:13 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Everyone knows the Candy Burnt Orange Vaquero is the fastest model.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:15 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
Everyone knows the Candy Burnt Orange Vaquero is the fastest model.
I almost got one that color. Good thing I didn't, I already go too fast now.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 PM   #15

I was thinking more about this and the issues others have had with leaks from the intake etc, so I did some more poking around.

I called Ivan and explained to him what the bike was doing. (I forgot to mention this thread and the video) Ivan told me this was a bit out of normal and that something else must be happening here. He was thinking intake might have been installed incorrectly and since I was the one that did it...

Later I took the intake off and found that there was most likely a leak. I cleaned everything up and put a new (and better) bead of RTV as a gasket (this time ALL the way around)

I started it up and it seems like idle is more inline with what Ivan said it should be doing for a cold start. He was saying the idle should go to just about 2k rpms then quickly settle to 1500 rpms and continue to the correct idle speed as the bike warms up.

I will take another video tomorrow with a totally cold start before I head into work.
-ECU Ivanized