Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-29-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Exclamation Mark Left rear shock leaking oil

Had to go to the dealer to get the oil leak verified because of warranty. The left rear shock was leaking oil and left a puddle on my lift. I park it on the lift at night.

Out side of Kawasaki being cheap is there a reason they only change one shock on warranty but when its my dime they recommend I change both?

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
Top Contributor

You answered your own question, they wont give you two shocks if its on their dime.
They will tell you because your bike is low mileage the other shock should be fine if it is not leaking.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #3

It always seems to be the left shock that leaks and not the right one. Why is that?

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 05-30-2016, 02:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider View Post
It always seems to be the left shock that leaks and not the right one. Why is that?
Could it be that the bike is always leaning to the left side when it is on the kickstand? I don't know, but that seems to the only logical explanation I can come up with. Mine has leaked several time in the last 6 months, not much, a drop here and there. I also saw where I bottomed out by the mark on the shock and saddlebag bracket when the setting and air were too low. Been keeping an eye on it. I have seen any oil in the last 2 weeks.

"People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible."

Tom Centofanti
Florence, NJ
VBA#3676

Old 05-30-2016, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider View Post
My right one went 2 years ago. $510 Canadian to replace the one or $600 for a pair of Progressive shocks. Didn't have to think too long. No leaks no worry about air pressure. Set them at my preferred setting and smooth riding ever since.

Lovin my 2010 Nomad
Rob Woodall
Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers
088 Picton
VBA # 02445

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad2010 View Post
Could it be that the bike is always leaning to the left side when it is on the kickstand? I don't know, but that seems to the only logical explanation I can come up with. Mine has leaked several time in the last 6 months, not much, a drop here and there. I also saw where I bottomed out by the mark on the shock and saddlebag bracket when the setting and air were too low. Been keeping an eye on it. I have seen any oil in the last 2 weeks.
This thing leaked a little at a time I think because there is oil and dirt collection on the swingarm, axle spacer and axle adjuster. Then I saw a puddle of oil, but I thought it was from my sons Thunderbird when he had it on the lift. Thought he had spilt some oil.

So how much oil do these things have in them. I can't imagine there is much to leak out. Mine doesn't seem to be leaking any more. Maybe because there is no more oil to leak out?

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #7

Should I be riding with a leaking (oil) left rear shock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
This thing leaked a little at a time I think because there is oil and dirt collection on the swingarm, axle spacer and axle adjuster. Then I saw a puddle of oil, but I thought it was from my sons Thunderbird when he had it on the lift. Thought he had spilt some oil.

So how much oil do these things have in them. I can't imagine there is much to leak out. Mine doesn't seem to be leaking any more. Maybe because there is no more oil to leak out?
Hey ...has anybody ridden their bike on a hwy. trip with a rear shock that is leaking slowly. My 2004 nomad has dropped about 10 drops of oil in a week and the drip seems to slow down when the weather cools off. Anyways I am scheduled to go on a week bike trip and have no time to replace the shock. I assume I cannot add oil to the shock as needed. Does anyone have experience with this situation?

Old 06-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #8

Rode mine a couple of years ago with a leaking LH shock. Discovered it in the middle of a 2 week road trip through MT, ID, WA and OR. I continued on with no issues but did replace both with Progressive shocks a month or 2 later after I got home.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue