Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
TFI and Mileage

Many a moon ago when were were a small group I had asked if any of you adjusted your TPS to eliminate ping. I got few responses probably because its a little more technical of a procedure.

I'm wondering why some Nomads don't ping stock and get over 40MPG constantly! Some claim 45 and above (mac, and I have no reason to doubt him).

The reason is, is that I think adjusting the TPS does more than just add fuel across the board. On Gadgets site is the procedure and I have a write up in there. At first it was working and as I started increasing the setting (stock was 4.40 DCV at wide open throttle to well above that it started pinging worse?!!

The manual shows a range of 4.29 to 4.59 DCV. I'm wondering if lower instead of higher takes the timing down. Too much can cause relentless pinging no matter what.

I'm thinking of playing around with setting on my TPS to almost the minimum or about 4.30 and use the TFI fuel modulator to adjust the mixture to see if I can lean it out from where it's set now. I'm looking to achieve Mac's over 40 mpg's on his Nomad.

If any of you that get great mileage and no ping stock would be willing to test your setting I'd appreciate it so I can either pursue or abandon this idea.

Like I said I think the TPS also fvcks with the timing advance.

thanks,

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

Well now I get 40/44. I tend to ride easy in rural settings 2 up. We weigh apx 300 pounds 2 up.

I never did a resistor mod or ever touched the throttle plate.

besides either duel or single caddman, TFI and V&H baggers i run mobil 1 full syn engine oil, their fulll syn gear oil, desert dawg crash bar covers, which would appear to streamline the bike with great big sails in too the wind???? but it seems to get better mpgs with them on.

The CT ate some miles, but the trade off was long term wear and much better traction.

The ISC's were removed as were all the reed valve stuff.

At first and I was wrong I had the idea the Dunlop Sport Sp 5000 in 195/60 R 16 was taller than the stock brick, but it isn't so I don't see that working like it did on my lost 01 1500 which got the same things as above but not a taller rear tire like the metz was I put on..

In each case i got better MPG's from the get go...

I am as curious as anyone ...

I tend to think my riding style is slow and lazy, but then I wear out tires like almost no one else..

The 06 rear was dead at 7,000, but it was late in the season so I ran on a illegal tire to late fall getting 9,000 out of that junk

The ft was tired and came off at 13,000, no longer legal.

All my stated MPGs are with no GPS or speedo corrections, I say what the gas pump says and what the speedo says.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Top Contributor

TFI and Mileage

I get 30 mpg city and 40 mpg hwy. Thats with TFI, Caddman on the right w/K&N, V&H pipes. hwy is 2 up mostly not real fast like mac, maybe 70 mph max most days. Run 87 w/o ping. I lost about 2 mpg or so on each end after the TFI but worth it. Running Avon Cobras full radials. Im happy. :-)

Old 08-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Top Contributor

TFI and Mileage

BD..

If you remember, I adjusted my TPS to the higher end of the spectrum........I don't remember right now exactly what it was but I want to say 4.5 plus or minus .01.

My bike NEVER pinged even with open right side even before installing the TFI.

Playing with the TFI...I am now on Pot 1 around the 2:30ish range and I am getting a pretty consistent 40mpg with 2 up highway riding....Pot 2 is around 5:30....

I have come to the conclusion that these bike are really sensitive to the right hand because when my wife is on the bike...I am a much more conservative rider.....when I am alone, I twist the throttle a little more and get about the same or in the 38mpg range on the open road.

Maybe this info will help a little with your experiment.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 08-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

Good point Doc, I run 87 octane too.

All stock this 06 pinged some in lower gears getting moving. With the TFI is no longer does.

The same can be said for my 01 1500. it pinged in lower gears just getting moving when it shouldn't. Of course they both pinged if I raised rpm in too high a gear from a lug..

My pot 1 is similar to Todds, about 2:30 ish.

There no such thing as city riding for me ever. I just don't. I wouldn't call nawth Cornflake a city, and even if i did, I will still always avoid the place.

When I must shop there I know every back road in and out of that hell hole..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #6

TFI and Mileage

Hey thanks for this thread. I have been playing with my TFI since I got all set up to try and find that sweet spot between running well and good mpg. I have no reed valves, removed ICS, left side air cleaner gone with spectre on right side, stock debaffled pipes. TFI instlled, haven't touched the tps. Best I have done so far is 34 highway. I am still slowly trying to turn the TFI back to improve without losing performance. Perhaps I should look inot the TPS as well?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

I dunno.... I had great results with a 01 1500 and again with a 06 1600... I can't see how i did anything different than anyone else, and yet i got more power and more MPG's for it...

I simply thought anyone else would as well... OP my set up only differs from yours with V&H baggers with probably no more glass packing... I don't fool around with that sort of thing much.

Like Todd did i tinkered and tinkered with Pot 1, while leaving pot 2 where it was. Pot 2 gets turned up and down a little for effect.... More like Fire for Effect... depending on how many tourists i want to tick off at weekends...

My pot 4 is about 4:00 and pot 3 is OFF....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

OH!!!!!! These settings get me a poof, spit, and cackel at times.... I like these noises which get attention, from tourisits and they want no part of me and my stuff this way. I can controll these noises with throttle posstion..

The intent is either something is wrong with the bike, or there is a dragon inside the engine, which tourists also want no part of.....

If anything I wish I could get a bigger throttle body and a set of cams...

BD that could be fun huh?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-10-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
TFI and Mileage

I've wondered too how much power is lurking waiting to be unleased Mac.

Wonder what the injector off a VN2000, little steeper cam, not necessarily any more duration but higher lift so it would hit hard at 3K to 5900. Good air cleaner and nice exhaust. I'm thinking 25 ponies at least. High gear roll ons at about 75 would be fun.

Not sure what the clutch and drive train; ie, shaft drive would do?!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-11-2009, 05:51 AM   #10
Top Contributor

TFI and Mileage

I tweak pot 1 depending on my mood. If I want to go for a blast by myself and disregard fuel mileage I set it at 4. If I am going for an all day ride with a passenger and fuel might be hard to find between fill ups I set pot 1 at 2.45. I leave pot 2 at 5, pot 3 at 1 and pot 4 at 8. I run 87 octane and no ping.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

BD, I dunno and I forgot the name of a guy named Dan something who got 800 ponies out of a 4 banger Datsun SPL 311 engine... He did everything anyone could do to get it though..

Those were tractor engines based on MGB engines in cast iron, about 1,595 cc's if i recall.. Some time around 1968..

All I know is if we got 1/2 that the slipper clutch would slip alot and we would need a way to remove it.

So far as i know that slipper clutch is there so we don't have massive rear wheel lock up on a poor down shift. I can't see why else it would be there.

Also there is a gizzmo in the rear wheel hub to reduce shock loading.. Some 1500's nomads atleast were re-called for that. In 05 when I crashed the dealer did that re-call with out telling me and charged both Progressive and Ma kawii for it...

I saw it and didn't know what it was at first and not a thing was wrong with it in the first place.

At that time I was thinking of getting Meanie Cams and the meanie T body, but then the bike went stolen.. I doubt these would fit the 1600, and I don't think there is a 1600 meanie.

We sure don't need more displacement... Unless you want a 4 bolt main 350 chevy engine as a bike motor.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #12

TFI and Mileage

Yep mac they make a 1600 meanie now. Not sure what year it started. 05 or 06 I think maybe sooner or later. I know for a fact the 08 is 1600.

The 350 chevy is what the boss hoss started with.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

TFI and Mileage

Car V 8's are over my top in bikes.. I see them with all sorts of engines, but I have no desire for one.

So there is a 1600 meanie huh? That's interesting. The cams would still be milder than all out get up and go probably, but they would be fun just the same.

If the throttle body is bigger than there would be more air More air is always a good thing..

Getting that much more air out with V&H baggers or Road house would work.

With a custom cam and the right engineering you could get a Nomad lots faster than we do.

But some of the reasons why we like them might go, all depending on the cams...

I don't do bar hopping, where exotic engine show up racing from one party to the next.

I sort of go slow or think I do, while I get complaints from others at times. I am not trying to be fast, but I guess what I do is corner.. I set a rate I like and just stay there. No rocket fuel starts, not much slowing or even using brakes..

I drove race cars once and won what I won by being steady.. Lots of guys went faster than me out of a turn but slowed a lot going into the next turn.. I just stayed steady, and they were ahead and then behind when it mattered...

Then my engine and sometimes trannys were ripped down... Just how it is with a sore looser..

Don't really matter what you ride, what matters is how you ride it.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
TFI and Mileage

Guys, at present my '08 is completely stock. My fuel mileage ranges from 34 up to 45. If I ride distance and don't fill up until I am past 100 miles it usually gets around 43 to 45. The thing is even when I only get 34 that is better than my '08 Impala and even better than the 3.8 '05 Buick which got 32 on the highway. At 34 mpg I am still beating that and that is mostly town riding. I hope to debaffle tomorrow and ordered the Cobra FI2000R tonight and it will be in in about 7 to 10 days. I will probably need some help setting the pots on that thing. That is completely new to me. What does TPS stand for, throttle position sensor or what? I am still learning.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 08-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #15

TFI and Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Guys, at present my '08 is completely stock. My fuel mileage ranges from 34 up to 45. If I ride distance and don't fill up until I am past 100 miles it usually gets around 43 to 45. The thing is even when I only get 34 that is better than my '08 Impala and even better than the 3.8 '05 Buick which got 32 on the highway. At 34 mpg I am still beating that and that is mostly town riding. I hope to debaffle tomorrow and ordered the Cobra FI2000R tonight and it will be in in about 7 to 10 days. I will probably need some help setting the pots on that thing. That is completely new to me. What does TPS stand for, throttle position sensor or what? I am still learning.
Throttle position sensor.....and its a SOB to change!

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider