Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #1

Bike doesn't want to start after (or when) it rains

Got a '01 1500 nomad fi that for some reason whenever it rains (at least 99% of the time) won't turn over. This also can happen in a heavy fog where there is a lot of condensation. It tries to crank but never turns over and I just end up wearing down the battery. Has anyone else ever had this issue? I have a lot of grease on the motor (which I need to clean) and a while back when the dealer saw the grease he told me I probably need work done on the headers (that's what I remember anyways)? Could it have to do with that? Just trying to figure out what could cause this as my bike is my full time ride and I can't have this happen anymore.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

Ever change the spark plug wires and boots, if not a good chance that is your problem.
Run the bike in the dark moving the wires around with an insulated screw driver. If you see arcing jumping between the wires and any metal part of your motor, they need changing. You can also run the bike and spray water on them with a pump bootle and see if the motor starts to run rough. Also check the plug wells there is a weep hole to drain accumulated water, if they are plugged and water builds up there it could also cause the same problem.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #3

Check out the picture. This happened when I pulled the wire out of the socket. I looked online and not finding the actual wire: http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oe...gnition-system

I'm going to call the kawa dealership once they open and see what they have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C360_2016-01-07-09-33-58-454.jpg (93.3 KB, 52 views)

Old 01-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #4

You most likely need new spark plug wires and caps. Mine used to do that as well in the rain util I changed them. Your battery may also be getting weak as well.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #5

Kawasaki is likely to want to sell you coils and wires as one piece. Hunt around on here, there is a way to remove the wires from the coils and replace just the wires and boots.
With regard to the pic, those NGK caps usually have a screw like probe that goes into the core of the wire. Cut back the wire square with a sharpe knife, put a bit of Vaseline on the the out side to make it side easier and push the cap back on the wire twisting it as you go and you should be ok for now. Still change out the wires when you can though.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #6

Just spoke with the dealer and he told me that the boot is designed to look like it does in the picture. The boot actually screws on to the cable. I went and checked and sure enough, that's correct! Bike is still not wanting to start yet (the sun is coming out and the bike will dry up soon and should start). He said in order to buy the actual cable, you have to buy the ignition coil, they don't sell the cable by itself.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Kawasaki is likely to want to sell you coils and wires as one piece. Hunt around on here, there is a way to remove the wires from the coils and replace just the wires and boots.
With regard to the pic, those NGK caps usually have a screw like probe that goes into the core of the wire. Cut back the wire square with a sharpe knife, put a bit of Vaseline on the the out side to make it side easier and push the cap back on the wire twisting it as you go and you should be ok for now. Still change out the wires when you can though.
Read this after I made my post (didn't see it at first). Yeah, I need to get some dielectric grease and put on it as well. The dealer said I might be able to get the wires from an autoparts store. So what's actually happening? Is water getting in the cables or something?

Old 01-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #8

Pull your wires and coils and inspect the coils and caps for cracks. if the coils are ok, you can just replace the wires. If the caps are ok, you can just get some new wire and make up new ones.

Do you keep your bike in a garage or do you let it sit outside?

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 01-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #9

Didn't you have this exact same problem two years ago in January?

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=36515

Old 01-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
Didn't you have this exact same problem two years ago in January?

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=36515
Yes. I've been keeping a cover on my bike when it rains. And while I'll still keep the cover on, I wanted to resolve the issue. Forgot I already posted, lol. Gonna try and get new wires and see if that helps, everything else seems ok from examining it today.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #11

Check out this thread on replacing plug wires.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ght=plug+wires

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 01-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #12
Advanced Member

It costs a bit but I always change the coils when my wires and caps go bad. I just did it on one of my Triumphs. It costs more but then you have a clean, strong spark from coil to plug.

I sold one of my pristine Electra Glides with a Crane ignition to a local friend a couple of years ago. About 10k miles later he started having running problems. After changing the spark plug wires it was a bit better but still not right. The coil was also the issue.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #13

I don't disagree with what everyone is saying about checking the wires. However, I am going to give you another suggestion since I had this exact same issue on my 2000 1500 Nomad. It turned out the ignition itself had carbon build up and it was not making a good connection after it sat out in the rain (on trips since I park it in the shop at home) or after a good hose bath. I took the ignition apart and cleaned it real good with some fine grit sand paper and contact cleaner. This fixed the problem! I have had the bike on man y trips since where it has been out in serious rain and the problem has not come back. Be careful when you pull the ignition apart as there are some very small springs and bearings. I hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf1 View Post
I don't disagree with what everyone is saying about checking the wires. However, I am going to give you another suggestion since I had this exact same issue on my 2000 1500 Nomad. It turned out the ignition itself had carbon build up and it was not making a good connection after it sat out in the rain (on trips since I park it in the shop at home) or after a good hose bath. I took the ignition apart and cleaned it real good with some fine grit sand paper and contact cleaner. This fixed the problem! I have had the bike on man y trips since where it has been out in serious rain and the problem has not come back. Be careful when you pull the ignition apart as there are some very small springs and bearings. I hope this helps.
What are you referring to as the ignition?
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 01-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jllm02199 View Post
What are you referring to as the ignition?
I would assume the ignition switch. I'm guessing a way to see if the switch is getting moisture in it is to tape a Baggie over it when it rains and see if that cures the no start when raining issue.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Tags
engine, fogging, motor, rain, starting issues