Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #1

Question What's the deal?

Newbie here,
’07 VN1600 Classic.
Had this happen to me a few times now over the last 6 months & I’m not sure why exactly:
Downshifting from 4th to 2nd & sometimes the engine will just die (clutch in & no throttle).
Normally I let off on the clutch and let the engine slow me down, but sometimes I don’t have the opportunity.
I find myself having to keep giving it a little gas (roll a hair, let off, roll a hair, let off…) just to insure it doesn’t die.
Idles great other than this at 950 – never dies while stopped.
Bought it serviced (new battery, plugs) – 12k miles.
This can’t be normal? (not good to have the engine die in traffic slowing down for a quick turn while downshifting).

Again, I’m learning & I may not be handling the bike correctly.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Have you tried cleaning the throttle body with a toothbrush and carb cleaner ?

Old 10-06-2020, 10:01 AM   #3

Nope. Add an oz of Lucas gas treatment about every other tank tho (previous owner did as well).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lucas Flex Fuel Additive 2.jpg (118.0 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by ostringer; 10-06-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
Top Contributor

Try it.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #5

I'm no mechanic. I'm pretty sure the throttle body's never been removed. Looks like a lot of parts connected - could try if it will fix what sounds like a common issue. Is there some sort of written step-by-step procedure somewhere I can look at?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #6

Just have to take off the dog bowl right side, throttle bodies right there. Twist throttle to open the butterfly valves. Spray Seafoam or throttle body cleaner of choice and clean butterflies both sides especially the edges as well as the throat of the bodies that you can see. Should be a write up on here, do a search. Piece of cake makes a big difference.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #7

So, the reason the bike dies occasionally downshifting with clutch in is "carbon build-up on the butterflies in the throttle body"? (Did the "how to clean throttle body" search you suggested.) Doesn't look like I have to remove the throttle body just to clean. What causes the build-up & is there a way to keep this from happening in future?

Old 10-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
Top Contributor

It is one thing for you to try to see if it cures your problem.

There is no way to stop the carbon build up.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #9

Thanks for the help! I'll do it.
https://gadgetsfixitpage.com/article...-body-cleaning

Last edited by ostringer; 10-06-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:08 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Definitely take the time to clean the butterfly plates with denatured alcohol and long swabs. Open the throttle full, then reach in with swabs soaked in alcohol and completely wipe down both sides of the throttle plates, and bores where the throttle plates contact the bores.

My BMW R1100RS used to stall like yours, often sitting at idle in traffic, and suddenly dead. It would start right back up. Turns out the throttle plates build up sticky oil/carbon, and when the throttle plates close the buildup forms a seal that starves the air into the engine. After I cleaned the throttle plates it never happened again.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
Definitely take the time to clean the butterfly plates with denatured alcohol and long swabs. Open the throttle full, then reach in with swabs soaked in alcohol and completely wipe down both sides of the throttle plates, and bores where the throttle plates contact the bores.

My BMW R1100RS used to stall like yours, often sitting at idle in traffic, and suddenly dead. It would start right back up. Turns out the throttle plates build up sticky oil/carbon, and when the throttle plates close the buildup forms a seal that starves the air into the engine. After I cleaned the throttle plates it never happened again.
Thank you. Probably hasn't ever been done on this bike. Will do as you say. Suggestions as to where they might have the long swabs you mention?

Old 10-08-2020, 07:13 AM   #12
Top Contributor

Use an old toothbrush

Old 10-08-2020, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Use an old toothbrush
OK (or my wife's - clean it good before I put it back - I won't tell if you don't)

Old 10-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #14

Went to O'Reilly and picked up their can of automotive swabs and some throttle body cleaner. Got an old toothbrush (not my wifes). Tied the throttle open and went to work with the toothbrush first. I didn't spray directly into the throttle body but filled the bottom of a glass jar to dip the toothbrush followed by the swabs. Before & after pics (swabs shown are from one bore only). BIG difference how it starts and idles! Obviously it was the first time this has been done. Thanks for your help fellas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CLEAN.jpg (101.9 KB, 57 views)

Old 10-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #15

as you have just discovered, the members of this forum are the best, they have helped me work out the little bugs on my 2000 1500fi nomad