Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-03-2020, 04:55 PM   #1

Neat little flat fix kit.....

Once again, was on side of road, by a restaurant, nail in tire, folks stopped to help. Nice folks.
I'd plugged the hole, trimmed the plug down, was going to fill my tire....guy asked what I was doing....I told him my tire wasn't quite seated to use my air pump, soooo I whipped out this.
If your on the side of the road, traffic is flying by, need to get rolling again quickly, this is your kit.
Even though your tire is flat, with a nail in it, gotta air it up some to rotate it to find nail. This makes it quick and easy....
Had mine for years, works great! I replaced the screwdriver type tire reamer with a T-handled version. Easier on the wrists....
https://www.partzilla.com/product/af...316096940a10c9
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ire-repair-kit
or
http://versysventures.blogspot.com/2...torcycles.html
I have this kit in the bag with my slime pump, the CO2 bottles make for quicker bead seating, especially if you have no-one to lift your rear wheel off the ground to help seat your bead....
Hope this helps someone....
And when your getting the CO2 cartridges, make double sure you get the threaded cartridges if thats what your adaptor takes....
On long trips, I never carry no less that 6 of the CO2 cartridges....3-16g and 3-25g....once tire is holding air, I use my pump. If in the city, by interstate, I use the CO2's to get rolling quickly, off the roads edge....
Usually, I put 2 in, its enough to keep tire inflated, then I use the slime pump. If not, I put 3 in 25g cartridges, find a safe place, add air or ride to my destination, hotel, then add air....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by DragonLady58; 10-05-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Neat kit. Older BMWs used to have a complete tire repair/plug kit as a standard item, which included three CO2 cartridges. Back in 2000 I was riding my 94 BMW R1100RS on HWY 20 in Iowa on my way to a work assignment. Humming along at 70, something felt "soft" so I pulled over to find the rear radial was nearly flat. Having a centerstand made it much easier. Did the roadside repair to find the puncture, get the plug in, used the CO2 cartridges to inflate the tire enough to get to a truck stop. There I got it fully inflated. Some 200 miles later got a new tire at the BMW dealer. That event fully sold me on tubeless tires, especially low aspect ratio sport radials which have enough sidewall strength to have some support even when nearly flat.

Last edited by andyvh1959; 10-03-2020 at 06:35 PM.