Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

Auxiliary Fuse Box on Vaquero

I have a horn and light kit to add and bought the Electrical Connection Auxiliary Fuse Box because it had the connector for the battery charger as well. I was looking where to mount this thing and the only really accessible location I can see is on top of the battery cover under the seat. I'm curious if anyone has installed one of these and I'd sure appreciate if you found a good location for the box and the relay. I thought of laying the relay in the tool box location with a slot cut in one end for the incoming wires and screw down the fuse box on the cover. Bit of a PITA if the battery cover has to be removed to access the battery but not something that needs access often I hope. Any reason this won't work?

Also, they recommend using a source to power the relay which turns off when you hit the starter. Unfortunately, the accessory connectors under the seat do not turn off during starting. The only source I can think of are the headlight wires so I would have to run a wire from the headlight bucket to the seat. Any source closer to the seat I could use?

On another subject, when replacing the exhaust, what exhaust gaskets needs to be used. Will the Harley gaskets work like on the older Nomads or do you have to use the Kaw gaskets?

Thanks in advance for any insights
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0165 (Small).JPG (94.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0224 (Small).JPG (94.7 KB, 59 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-18-2015, 01:46 AM   #2

Don't mind the electric question but I do want to know about the exhaust gasket............

Thanks

Old 01-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmhspirit View Post
Don't mind the electric question but I do want to know about the exhaust gasket............

Thanks
The Harley Gasket will work on an older Nomad and is less expensive too. Like 3.00 ea. I think.
and to be clear that is for the crush gasket that is for the headers going to the cylinder hear with the flange. If it is for slip on mufflers, that would be the Kawi one that is necessary,

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Last edited by Ken Vega; 01-18-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #4

So, the Harley crush gaskets will work on the header on our Vaqueros as well? I'm looking at the Freedom Performance Exhaust versus slip ons.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #5

On the electrical that's basically what I did on the Voyager. As for using non running switched power that should not be an issue unless your battery is low and you have lights on. battery is out of the bike so cover is just set in place. using a 5 lug relay allows you to back feed with a batt tender, thus 1 less connection on the battery. I also place a piece foam from an ear plug under the battery nut to push it up making it easier to get the bolt started.
VV Aux Power (2).jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aux fuse.JPG (62.5 KB, 66 views)

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Yes Pete. The gaskets will work, and they are inexpensive

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
Yes Pete. The gaskets will work, and they are inexpensive
Thanks, Ken. I used them on my Nomad so I'm familiar with them. Just want to be sure to have the right ones on hand when I do the install.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillhouse View Post
On the electrical that's basically what I did on the Voyager. As for using non running switched power that should not be an issue unless your battery is low and you have lights on. battery is out of the bike so cover is just set in place. using a 5 lug relay allows you to back feed with a batt tender, thus 1 less connection on the battery. I also place a piece foam from an ear plug under the battery nut to push it up making it easier to get the bolt started.
Attachment 8424
Perfect. Thanks very much Hill. That helps a lot. Good tip about the foam. I struggled a few times getting the bolts started....

Last edited by kpmhspirit; 01-18-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #9

I put on an aux fuse block also and that is where I mounted it right ontop of battery box. Works well. Only problem I have had Garman GPS and the cig mounted charger I have hooked up sucks up battery juice like crazy and you must use their charger as no other will make unit work right.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckey1313 View Post
I put on an aux fuse block also and that is where I mounted it right ontop of battery box. Works well. Only problem I have had Garman GPS and the cig mounted charger I have hooked up sucks up battery juice like crazy and you must use their charger as no other will make unit work right.
Thanks Dave. I ended up mounting as shown on the attached with the relay and wiring in the tool box packed in styrofoam.

I hard wired my GPS into the communication plugs in the fairing. I found a plus and minus and still have the regular accessory plugs available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0271.jpg (90.8 KB, 44 views)

Old 01-20-2015, 01:22 AM   #11

wish I could hard wire my gps in but Garman has a stickler thing for its cigarette lighter plug adapter called traffic. If you do not use their lighter adapter a notice keeps popping up on the gps screen drives a person crazy. It has a non digital light in the plug and it draws constantly. To keep it from popping out of element I have it taped in under seat. But doing that the darn light is drawing juice all the time and here in winter we can not ride bikes and it runs down the battery after two weeks draw so I just took out the fuse for now install in spring when I start riding again and charged the battery. Yea installed mine just like yours exactly pretty well by picture. Great job on both are parts.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:46 AM   #12

Hard wire a power wire in for your Garmin Dave... Like this one. Traffic won't work I don't think, but you won't get the pop-up. You should still wire it to an accessory line, since those little step down transformers they use in USB outlets and the like to get down to 5V will draw a little juice whether they're plugged in or not.

I have one in the mail on the way down here myself. I've been using a USB outlet, but they're wired differently which fools the Garmin at start up into thinking it's a data connection. It figures it out after a wee while, but I'm tired of waiting around for that to happen before I can load a route.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 01-20-2015 at 02:55 AM.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:39 AM   #13

Thanks Peg glad you put me onto this. I looked up which one I needed for mine and one is available on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361017154629

I have a Nuvi 2597

Hows the Russel Day Long seat doing. I still love mine what comfort.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks Peg glad you put me onto this. I looked up which one I needed for mine and one is available on ebay.

I have a Nuvi 2597

That's the cable I have been using for years now. Did replace it once, though after about 2 years. It may have crapped out because it's exposed to the elements all the time? Wire direct into the accessory connectors. On my 06 Nomad it was live all the time because the accessory connections were live at all times but I never left it on the bike so that was not an issue. I had the Garmin Nuvi 550 on the Nomad and now use the Nuvi 56L (I think) on the Vaq though the same cable will work for both because I transferred the 550 cable to the Vaq.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #15

Quote:

I have a Nuvi 2597

The cable in Peg's link is one I have been using for years now. Your ebay link is completely different? You sure that's the right one? Seems kinda massive. Must be the traffic transmitter?

Found these

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop...-01229-00.html

http://www.gpscity.com/questions?sku=nuvi2597lmt

http://www.gpscity.com/questions?qid=33973

I did replace it once, though after about 2 years. It may have crapped out because it's exposed to the elements all the time? Wire direct into the accessory connectors. On my 06 Nomad it was live all the time because the accessory connections were live at all times but I never left it on the bike so that was not an issue. I had the Garmin Nuvi 550 on the Nomad and now use the Nuvi 56L (I think) on the Vaq though the same cable will work for both because I transferred the 550 cable to the Vaq.

Last edited by kpmhspirit; 01-20-2015 at 09:55 AM.