Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #1

Wind Deflector Trim

Hey all,
I'm looking to pick up the kawasaki 6.5inch tinted wind deflector (I'm a short guy and don't need a big 10 or 12 inch one). Kawasaki's website says it requires a chrome trim piece, gasket and hardware to mount. From the pictures, it looks like it should just be a straight swap with the stock shorty wind screen.

Has anyone purchased this? Does it REALLY need the chrome trim and gasket or can I just swap it out for the stock one? (I don't want the chrome, I like my bike as blacked out as possible).

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt491 View Post
Hey all,
I'm looking to pick up the kawasaki 6.5inch tinted wind deflector (I'm a short guy and don't need a big 10 or 12 inch one). Kawasaki's website says it requires a chrome trim piece, gasket and hardware to mount. From the pictures, it looks like it should just be a straight swap with the stock shorty wind screen.

Has anyone purchased this? Does it REALLY need the chrome trim and gasket or can I just swap it out for the stock one? (I don't want the chrome, I like my bike as blacked out as possible).
Not sure why they are saying you need the chrome and rubber.

My new stock Vaq came with the short dark shield without rubber and chrome. I bought the 12" Kawasaki shield because I need something higher and it came with the chrome and rubber strips as part of the kit. You can use it with or without the chrome.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #3

my 6.5 did not come with the chrome piece or rubbers. ran it for 2 years with no issues. Now have a kloclwerks mounted with zero issues as well

Old 01-13-2015, 10:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmhspirit View Post
Not sure why they are saying you need the chrome and rubber.

My new stock Vaq came with the short dark shield without rubber and chrome. I bought the 12" Kawasaki shield because I need something higher and it came with the chrome and rubber strips as part of the kit. You can use it with or without the chrome.
The clear windshields (12, 14 and 16) come with the chrome trim for the Voyager. The stock windscreen and the 6.5 don't come with the chrome or the rubber. Struck me as odd because you'd think the stock windscreen would have it but apparently on the Vaquero, it doesn't. Which then made me think why would I need it if the stock windscreen doesn't have it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
my 6.5 did not come with the chrome piece or rubbers. ran it for 2 years with no issues. Now have a kloclwerks mounted with zero issues as well
Thanks for the feedback!! Exactly what I wanted to hear

Old 01-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
Advanced Member

I have the 13 inch slip streamer. I added weather strip to keep plastic on plastic vibes and rubs to a minimum. No chrome strip. I am trying to keep chrome to a minimum. I also have a 10 inch dark smoke shield, same deal. Direct bolt on to the fairing no issues. Bikes been over 100 mph a couple of times.
I think the chrome strip is to hide the 2 inch gap in the fairing that is visible with a clear shield. Which is why I painted the lower portion of my clear shield to match the arc of the original 6 incher. On the dark smoke I simply made. 2 inch strip with electric tape to make the gap invisible from the front then added weather stripping to avoid rattles and vibes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150111_114456.jpg (89.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20150109_125457.jpg (89.6 KB, 16 views)

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Ken Vega; 01-14-2015 at 07:47 AM.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #6

I put my Klokwerks on without the trim and put 15k on it in 7 months, some of it at...shall we say, slightly higher than legal speeds, and I haven't had a single issue.

BTW, the Klokwerks design is incredible. It actually helps create some down force at highway speeds instead of lift like most fairings. Makes the front feel really planted as the mph climbs.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 01-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dragon View Post
I put my Klokwerks on without the trim and put 15k on it in 7 months, some of it at...shall we say, slightly higher than legal speeds, and I haven't had a single issue.

BTW, the Klokwerks design is incredible. It actually helps create some down force at highway speeds instead of lift like most fairings. Makes the front feel really planted as the mph climbs.
I dont think you get the turbulence with the klockwerks either like a straight shield. It was just a little steep on price for me. I have not ridden with the 13 incher yet. This Saturday I will see if it acts like a sail at over 85mph. I wont say how much over...

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 01-14-2015, 07:10 PM   #8

I feel no buffeting. There is still wind hitting you in the head, but not like without a fairing. I like to feel wind, and don't like riding behind windshield you have to look through, so the Klokwerks is perfect for me. If you don't want to feel any wind, it's not for you.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dragon View Post
I feel no buffeting. There is still wind hitting you in the head, but not like without a fairing. I like to feel wind, and don't like riding behind windshield you have to look through, so the Klokwerks is perfect for me. If you don't want to feel any wind, it's not for you.
I am 6'0 tall so I can still see over the 13 inch shield easily. Especially with the Mustang seat, it raised me up about an inch in seat height. The 10 inch is still,great. Like you I like a little wind but after a long ride I am half deaf from wind noise.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 01-18-2015, 03:14 AM   #10

When I bought my '11 Voyager last September, the previous owner was shorter than me, (I am 6'1" w/30 inseam,) and had a short Kawi windshield. Keep in mind the stock shield is 18". So I thought I wanted a KlockWorks Flip (9.5"), which is the only length they come for the Kawi. Put it on, could not get it off fast enough....way to much breeze for me. SO....went and ordered a Kawi 16" shield and for me, it was PERFECT. I am very happy with it.....so.....anyone intrested in the KlockWerks, give me a yell, sell it to you for a lot less than the list price of $179. Later Guys !!!

Old 02-15-2015, 03:35 AM   #11

For anyone who's interested or for what it's worth I found out the hard way this trim piece is NOT needed.

Turns out it doesn't install UNDER the windscreen (between the windscreen and the bike) as I thought. It goes in between the chrome trim piece (which I'm NOT installing) and the windscreen. Oh well, at least it was only $10...

Old 02-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #12

Thumbs Up

I put a 12" tinted shield on my Vaquero from Rifle. It didnt come with trim or rubber strip and was fine without them. I have since put the original black shield on over the tinted shield. I dont have a pic at the moment but it really looks great.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt491 View Post
The clear windshields (12, 14 and 16) come with the chrome trim for the Voyager. The stock windscreen and the 6.5 don't come with the chrome or the rubber. Struck me as odd because you'd think the stock windscreen would have it but apparently on the Vaquero, it doesn't. Which then made me think why would I need it if the stock windscreen doesn't have it?!

Thanks for the feedback!! Exactly what I wanted to hear
I purchased a 12" shield for my Voyager, and it did not come with chrome strip or gasket. Bought it from the same dealer I bought the bike, had to order it.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #14

I still have a KlockWerks 9.5" Flip shield for sale.......brand new.....great price....will fit a Vaquero or Voyager.....give me a holler