Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-01-2008, 01:39 AM   #1

Another Review for Grasshopper Backrest

I got my Grasshopper Backrest delivered today. It's a very well made backrest. The material used matches the stock seat and the shape of the pad goes along pretty good with the shape of the stock passenger backrest. The stitching is of professional quality and the pad seems to be overall durable enough. Even though it's not seen when installed... I think the ball has been dropped a little by using staples on the bottom side...I think a zipper or something would have been better but the price would probably have to be increased for that.

As far as the way it mounts....I was a little leary of wheather or not it would support me if I was to lean back on it a little too hard. The bracket that is used is bolted down using the one bolt that is used to hold the driver's seat down. It just seems to be that this one bolt with it's fine threads and all could possibly be eventually pulled out or maybe the fender where it bolts into may get cracked my leaning back to hard...You can watch it flex and move a little when pushing the backrest by hand. I could be way off base here as others have not reported this happening.
Too play it safe and stiffen up the bracket....I went ahead and made an extra bracket that goes over the top of the supplied bracket....My fabbed bracket ties in and secures the one driver's seat bolt in with the two bolts that hold down the bracket for the passenger's seat. This bracket I made really came out pretty good and I surprised myself on how effective it was on stiffening up the new driver's backrest bracket. I painted it black like the other parts and it looks like it was meant to be and all. Like I said...this may not have need to be done but I do feel much better about relaxing and leaning back on it now. The only thing though is that now if I want to remove the driver's seat....Three bolts have to be removed(including the passenger seat bracket) instead of just the one...No big deal though.

Now...How does it feel?...Well first of all...I have never used a driver's backrest before and I have always kind of slouched somewhat when I ride. So it did feel kinda different with this backrest touching my back with a little pressure. I gotta say though that after a fifty mile test ride over to Sinton,Tx....It felt pretty darn good...and it made me sit up a little straighter..improving my posture. I did do a minor adjustment to it when I got home though. I felt like the backrest was pushing against my back a little too much (especially when leaning back and using the highway pegs)...So I slid the backrest out and used my vise to bent it just a little bit...to get it the way I wanted it. Now it seems to be just right and I'm happy with it....

My friend that has used backrest before tells me that the more I use it the more I will like it as I get used to it.....I think he may be right.

Over all....I would say that I am pleased with my purchase of the Grasshopper Backrest. I know that there are probably better ones available....But for the money...this is really not bad at all and it's better than I thought it would be. The backrest feels good and looks like it belongs on the bike and not out of place. I would reccomened it to others....But some minor adjustment may be needed to suit each indivisual rider.

By the way....I also have Chuckster's 3 inch riser spacers on the bike......Everything seems pretty comfy as far as reach is concerned.

Sorry for the long post...but I just wanted to give another opinion of the Grasshopper Backrest.

Thanks
Doug Klaevemann

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-01-2008, 03:40 AM   #2

Thanks Doug.I have one myself and am very happy with it.Like you I had never rode with a backrest before,but the more I use it the better I like it.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #3

Here is what I did to mine, I hac the same concerns. I agree it is a very nice backrest, and would not want to be with out it.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/terbear2/Picture008.jpg[/img]

Old 06-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Hey, can we get some pics of the bracket? Tried to link to the photobucket above and got no where. I am getting my backrest tomorrow.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak031
Thanks Doug.I have one myself and am very happy with it.Like you I had never rode with a backrest before,but the more I use it the better I like it.
Got my backrest yesterday, put it on and went for a ride. I really like the way it feels, it does help you sit up straight. I do push back onto the backrest when I have my feet on the pegs. Didn't think about the extra pressure that would put on the mounting bracket. I will have to keep a check on the mount and the bolt.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #6

Thanks Doug, I appreciate your long post and factual review. Like Caddman11, I have a backrest on order and would like some pictures of your attempt to improve upon the bracket. Keep us posted on your thoughts Refugio.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #7

OK...First time with photobucket
Here are some pics

Old 06-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #8

Hey.....It worked.
First pic has the bracket support that I made.
It is placed over the top of the Grasshopper bracket and catches the two bolts for the passenger seat bracket and gives the drivers backrest bracket three bolts of support instead of just one.
Really did tighten the thing up well.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #9

It worked but you really need to learn how to resize them so they are not so big.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #10

Yeah...Yeah
I "need to learn" and I will learn.
That was my first time using Photobucket and/or trying to post pictures on this forum....Did not know exactly what I was doing.
You can see em though...Right
Future post with pictures will be reduced to a more appropriate size.
Sorry for the HUGE pictures.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #11

I dunno, I like the large pics. You can see the details. Especially when showing mods, like you've done to your back rest bracket.

As far as I'm concerned, keep posting large pics. It's easier on my old eyes.

Russ

Fraternal Order of Police, NY Lodge 50
American Legion, NY Post 616
Legion Riders, NY Post 259
Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin

Old 06-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Thanks for the pics. I think I will fab a bracket on mine also. I do have a habit of pushing back on the back rest.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #13

Nice job; I like the way that bracket came out. My backrest is coming this week, so your post is very timely for me! Now, if I were just as creative as some of the people I have seen on this forum!
Mike

Old 06-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #14

With all due respect, I keep reading about this backrest and everyone seems to be "fixing" it. It seems to be attractive because it's a good value.

I bought a Utopia (about $200), I didn't have to fix it and there have been no issues with support or quality

Just like the Vance and Hines pipes - we shouldn't have to "fix" stuff we buy that is designed for our bikes.

Does anyone that has this Grasshopper backrest have previous experience with backrests or something to compare it to or do you like it because it supports your back?

I'm really not trying to start a hailstorm, but most of these grasshopper reviews have the same issues and observations, but no compairsons

Old 06-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Nice job & excellent photos! Question is, was it needed? Was the bracket and attachment already strong enough or is that a possible problem source in the future. If so, perhaps that is a mod that will be incorporated in future shipments (and offered to those of us who already have the backrest)