Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #1

Nomad jumping on slow speed manuvering

Ran into something today that may be of use to other nomad riders.....my bike (05 silver and black) was very jumpy or torguey (sp?) when giving small amounts of throttle on slow speed manuvering. Almost to the point of jerking me back in the seat when when giving it gas.....not enough to notice at speeds when taking offf from light or stop sign.

I found that I had some free play in the throttle before a noticed effect from the bike.

i tightened the return cable via the adjuster at the throttle to take out the free play and the jumpiness went away....I guess I had enough free play so that when I rolled the throttle a small amount I was not able to make small changes.

Maybe this will help someone else.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzufarmer
Ran into something today that may be of use to other nomad riders.....my bike (05 silver and black) was very jumpy or torguey (sp?) when giving small amounts of throttle on slow speed manuvering. Almost to the point of jerking me back in the seat when when giving it gas.....not enough to notice at speeds when taking offf from light or stop sign.

I found that I had some free play in the throttle before a noticed effect from the bike.

i tightened the return cable via the adjuster at the throttle to take out the free play and the jumpiness went away....I guess I had enough free play so that when I rolled the throttle a small amount I was not able to make small changes.

Maybe this will help someone else.
That's one reason you use the friction zone of the clutch when making slow speed maneuvers. It absorbs some of the "jumpiness" and allows more precise low speed control.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #3

And the overly soft front ends on these bikes also contributes to that jumpiness.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #4

Maaannn I was coming to see a bike jumping!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
Maaannn I was coming to see a bike jumping!

SORRY....my first name is not Evel or Robbie

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Another term used is 'Feathering' the clutch.

Today I got to play hooky, and got in just over 200 miles dinkin around in my mountains.

Ended up over in maine, where i wanted sweat shirt on, and went into sand ankel deep oops. man was that stuff soft.

So very delicately I set the bike on the side stand and got off adjusting the bike as it settled.

I figured rahter than mess with the bike in that sand i would dress first, then mess with the bike out of my little sand trap.

When I was all set I used feathering the clutch, so as to not dig a big bloomin hole! I duck walked the bike with out sitting on it too!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Another term used is 'Feathering' the clutch.

Today I got to play hooky, and got in just over 200 miles dinkin around in my mountains.

Ended up over in maine, where i wanted sweat shirt on, and went into sand ankel deep oops. man was that stuff soft.

So very delicately I set the bike on the side stand and got off adjusting the bike as it settled.

I figured rahter than mess with the bike in that sand i would dress first, then mess with the bike out of my little sand trap.

When I was all set I used feathering the clutch, so as to not dig a big bloomin hole! I duck walked the bike with out sitting on it too!

thanks Mac

I think it was a little more than just the clutch issue......I think what I may have been doing was because of the play in the throttle I was rolling it on too fast and then when the bike responded it was a little too much power...it made it sort of interesting to have the bike "jump" like that .....ocassionally possibly being a little off balance when it happened......taking ou the free play gave me a little more "fine" control on rolling on the throttle.