Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #1

another Starting issue

The other day I had ridden about 200 miles total when I stopped for gas again. Everything seemed fine when I stopped, and nothing during the ride had seemed unusual.

However, when I went to start the bike, nothing happened. So I went through every scenario of kill switches I could imagine: Kick stand up, down, clutch in, out, thumb switch to "run" etc.

Ultimately, I found when I pushed the starter switch, I could hear a distinct click, and whir, like the starter running, but not engaged in the flywheel.

Finally, the starter engaged and everything seemed fine all the way home. Once in the garage, I killed the bike and tried to re-start it, and it did the same thing. To start the bike I have to push and hold the switch until the motor engages, then it starts instantly.

Has anyone had this issue? Should anything be lubricated? Do our starters have the traditional bendix, or something electronic?
(2005 Nomad) ??? ??? ???
Until I feel more comfortable in not getting stranded, I don't want to do much riding. Unless I plan to only ride in short, 150 mile loops, that always end back at my house where I can refuel in the garage.

Thank you in advance!
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Top Contributor

another Starting issue

Ive got the same bike and the battery went out slowly and kept acting up. Check your pos/neg cables on the battery too.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #3

another Starting issue

It sounds like the bendix is sticking on your starter motor. Either clean and lube it or have it replaced. Ive never seen the starter on a Vulcan yet, so Im not even sure if its serviceable.
Old grease and dust are probably making it stick, and cleaning it will most likely get you back in shape.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #4

another Starting issue

Yup...that's a classic Bendix issue.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 04-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #5

another Starting issue

Pretty sure that this is first report of that problem here in the last 2.5 years. Good hear that the push start approach works (park on a hill), some might not even try that otherwise. Does sound like the classic starter bendix problem much more common on cars of yesteryear, when bikes didn't have starters.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Top Contributor

another Starting issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestephens
Has anyone had this issue? Should anything be lubricated? Do our starters have the traditional bendix, or something electronic?
(2005 Nomad) ??? ??? ???
Nope, no bendix or anything electronic. There is a starter clutch which operates in one direction only (from the right side of the engine the clutch will rotate clockwise freely but not counter-clockwise.)

Basically, the starter motor shaft engages a torque limiter gear which in turn engages the starter clutch gear.

The details are in section 9 of the 1600 Service Manual.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
another Starting issue

Good advice Bob and that means I have got to get me a service manual.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 04-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #8

another Starting issue

I wish I had some feedback for you guys. Before I tore into things to service/check the starter motor, I just had to push the button again. And it worked fine.
It's wierd stuff like that which would only lead me to the battery. So I serviced my battery terminals with dielectric grease and decided to see what happens.
Today I took a short ride after work to meet my wife for dinner. I made it there and back with No troubles. ??? ???

(BTW, the bike was low on oil too, but I'm not sure how or if that could affect things)

Old 04-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #9

another Starting issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells
Pretty sure that this is first report of that problem here in the last 2.5 years. Good hear that the push start approach works (park on a hill), some might not even try that otherwise. Does sound like the classic starter bendix problem much more common on cars of yesteryear, when bikes didn't have starters.
Once, I got curious of that myself, and I've never had luck push-starting this thing.
I don't think it works, these bikes are too smart for their own good. Too many kill-switches and safety.
At highway speed, you can kill the bike and restart it by releasing the clutch, but it doesn't work at any speed you could "push" at.