Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #1

tank removal tips

I will be removing my tank next week to install my tfi.

I have read my service manual for this and it reads like 1977 stereo instructions.

So I am looking for tips from all of you who tend to know more than the guys that wrote the manual.

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

tank removal tips

It's really simple. You want to do this with as little gas in it as possible. I have done it with a near-full tank and it's doable, just a lot harder to maneuver.
  • Remove the seat.[/*:m:bl3zg0ol]
  • Remove the 3 gas tank bolts (1 by the fork, 2 by the seat)[/*:m:bl3zg0ol]
  • Disconnect the 2 connectors at the rear of the tank, to the left of the battery.[/*:m:bl3zg0ol]
  • Remove the instrument nacelle and disconnect the two large connectors under the front of the speedo.[/*:m:bl3zg0ol]
  • Lift the rear of the tank, and remove the 2 hoses in the inside right of the tank tunnel.[/*:m:bl3zg0ol]
  • Remove the drain hose just under the tank on the right side near the front.[/*:m:bl3zg0ol]
  • Lift the rear of the tank again and disconnect the fuel line on the left hand side. It has a check valve in it and it should not leak more than a drop or two of fuel. You have two squeeze the clip while pulling and it will pop right off.[/*:m:bl3zg0ol]
  • Carefully lift and remove the tank. You will be surprised at how light it is. I always place mine on a folded blanket, and out of the way so it doesn't get bumped or tripped over.[/*:m:bl3zg0ol]
  • Installation is the reverse of removal. [/*:m:bl3zg0ol]

I don't think I left anything out. 10 minute job, seriously.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #3

tank removal tips

It helps to have another set of hands. Gotta take the speedo cover off. A couple of hoses to unhook and the speedo cable after loosening the bolt near the seat. Gadget has good instructions. http://www.gadgetjq.com/gas_tank_removal.htm

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 05-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #4

tank removal tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
It's really simple. You want to do this with as little gas in it as possible. I have done it with a near-full tank and it's doable, just a lot harder to maneuver.
  • Remove the seat.[/*:m:feje1uh2]
  • Remove the 3 gas tank bolts (1 by the fork, 2 by the seat)[/*:m:feje1uh2]
  • Disconnect the 2 connectors at the rear of the tank, to the left of the battery.[/*:m:feje1uh2]
  • Remove the instrument nacelle and disconnect the two large connectors under the front of the speedo.[/*:m:feje1uh2]
  • Lift the rear of the tank, and remove the 2 hoses in the inside right of the tank tunnel.[/*:m:feje1uh2]
  • Remove the drain hose just under the tank on the right side near the front.[/*:m:feje1uh2]
  • Lift the rear of the tank again and disconnect the fuel line on the left hand side. It has a check valve in it and it should not leak more than a drop or two of fuel. You have two squeeze the clip while pulling and it will pop right off.[/*:m:feje1uh2]
  • Carefully lift and remove the tank. You will be surprised at how light it is. I always place mine on a folded blanket, and out of the way so it doesn't get bumped or tripped over.[/*:m:feje1uh2]
  • Installation is the reverse of removal. [/*:m:feje1uh2]

which hoses will need to be capped off to prevent fuel spill in case I don't have enough out of the tank? I plan to ride it till the light comes on and then ride around the neighborhood till it starts to sputter but with it running lean it sputters pretty much all the time.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #5

tank removal tips

OP,

Below is the link to the thread I started when I installed my TFI. I didn't completely remove the tank but just propped it up with a piece of 2 x 4. I have pictures in the thread with documentation. Remember to level or near level your bike before removing or propping up the tank to keep it from wanting to slide with the lean of the bike. Block the right side to keep it from falling over should you accidently bump it. Hope it helps.

Mitch

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=9828

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #6

tank removal tips

terrebonne, in reading the post you linked to you mentioned when setting it that you pulled out the cold idle knob. What purpose does this serve? At what point do you push it back in? Are the included instructions pretty good? Seems like everyone has a pretty good time of setting it up.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #7

tank removal tips

OP, Pulling out the cold start knob fully brings your rpm's up to a fast idle close to what Dobeck instructs you to. After setting your pots, push the knob back in. If you have a throttle lock such as the Brakeaway or Vista Cruise, you can use that to speed up the idle instead of the cold start knob. Be sure that the engine is warmed up to normal operating temperature before trying to set the pots. And also, set pot #4 to 9 o'clock and leave pot #3 at 1 o'clock (off) before starting the engine after your installation. Otherwise you will not get the green LED light at pot #1. Don't ask me how I know this. When you let the seat end of your tank back down, be careful not to pinch the main fuel line or any of the other hoses. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Mitch

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 05-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #8

tank removal tips

thanks,

Old 05-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #9

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
tank removal tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
  • Remove the seat.[/*:m:sqo02f5f]
  • Remove the 3 gas tank bolts (1 by the fork, 2 by the seat)[/*:m:sqo02f5f]
  • Disconnect the 2 connectors at the rear of the tank, to the left of the battery.[/*:m:sqo02f5f]
  • Remove the instrument nacelle and disconnect the two large connectors under the front of the speedo.[/*:m:sqo02f5f]
  • Lift the rear of the tank, and remove the 2 hoses in the inside right of the tank tunnel.[/*:m:sqo02f5f]
  • Remove the drain hose just under the tank on the right side near the front.[/*:m:sqo02f5f]
  • Lift the rear of the tank again and disconnect the fuel line on the left hand side. It has a check valve in it and it should not leak more than a drop or two of fuel. You have two squeeze the clip while pulling and it will pop right off.[/*:m:sqo02f5f]
  • Carefully lift and remove the tank. You will be surprised at how light it is. I always place mine on a folded blanket, and out of the way so it doesn't get bumped or tripped over.[/*:m:sqo02f5f]
  • Installation is the reverse of removal. [/*:m:sqo02f5f]

which hoses will need to be capped off to prevent fuel spill in case I don't have enough out of the tank? I plan to ride it till the light comes on and then ride around the neighborhood till it starts to sputter but with it running lean it sputters pretty much all the time.
The 1600 Nomad wont leak when you 'unplug" the fuel line. May be true for the 1500 as well. :)

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 05-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #10

tank removal tips

The 1500's won't leak either when disconnected, just a few drops when you pull off the hose.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #11

tank removal tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
You don't need to run it down that far. Down to 1 bar on the fuel gauge is good enough. CactusJack's instructions are spot on. Once you've done it, it's literally 5 minutes to do it again.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 05-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #12

tank removal tips

I just removed my tank for the first time the other day. It's not a difficult job. I ran mine til the gas light came on plus about ten miles. The tank isn't heavy and there was still enough gas in it to slosh around.

I remember reading somewhere not to remove the gas line immediately after running the bike or having the key to the "on" position. There may be some pressure in the line and it could spray some gas. I didn't have that problem because I let the bike sit for a while after riding it. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure if this is true.

Good luck to you.... not that you'll need it.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
Mega-Contributor

tank removal tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog
I just removed my tank for the first time the other day. It's not a difficult job. I ran mine til the gas light came on plus about ten miles. The tank isn't heavy and there was still enough gas in it to slosh around.

I remember reading somewhere not to remove the gas line immediately after running the bike or having the key to the "on" position. There may be some pressure in the line and it could spray some gas. I didn't have that problem because I let the bike sit for a while after riding it. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure if this is true.

Good luck to you.... not that you'll need it.
Good point! You should open the gas cap to relieve any residual pressure before attempting to disconnect the hoses on the tank. Remember to close the cap before you remove the tank to prevent fuel spillage.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17