Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #1

Idle Problem

First i am running the caddman mod with a pc3 that was dyna tuned. I removed the idle solinoids. (no clue how to spell solinoid).

Last night I removed the air cleaners and cleaned / oiled them.
Let them sit a couple hours to dry then installed them back on the bike. Thats all I did.

I never have to pull the fast idle knob to start and warm up the nad. I tried starting the bike no fire. I pulled the knob and the bike started like normal. After the bike warmed up I pushed the knob back in and it died. Did this several times. Hooked up the laptop and everything looked good. Changed the map. Problem still there. Removed the filter no change. Put the map back to my custom map. Pulled the knob out a 1/4 of the way. 800 rpm was running like normal. I tried adjusting the idle screw no knob with no change at all.

So off we went with the knob a 1/4 out. After got home an hour later tried starting thew bike with the knob in. No issue at all. Bike is acting normal.

Anyone have any ideas that might have caused this. Very weird.

Thank you
Jeff

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #2

Idle Problem

Im thinking it may have sucked in a bit of oil from the filter and caused it to not idle. After a good run it cleared irself of any excess oil that was in the filter.
You should clean your throttle body with carb cleaner and a old toothbrush once or twice a season, this will help with the idle and your fuel mileage.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #3

Idle Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Im thinking it may have sucked in a bit of oil from the filter and caused it to not idle. After a good run it cleared irself of any excess oil that was in the filter.
You should clean your throttle body with carb cleaner and a old toothbrush once or twice a season, this will help with the idle and your fuel mileage.
I would also use the seafoam treatment, again once or twice a season does it for me.
VBA #01448
2008 Metallic Ocean Blue / Neutron Silver
*the coolest colors*

Old 05-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Idle Problem

Check the plastic caps where the ISC idle solenoids went before. Make sure these are in place and tight. On top of the throttle body if you took off the vac pod there is a port with either a cap or the oem tubing still, make sure it is capped off or both ends of that hose are tight.

This says vac leak to me since you found the black knob rather uselss..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Idle Problem

I was going to suggest the throttle body cleaning but Steve beat me to it. Nothing like a good ride to clean things up.

When I owned my '70 GTO years ago I could ride around in Philadelphi, PA for a week and not really open it up any at all. It would start to run like crap. Then on the weekend I would get out on the interstate and really run it hard and it would puff out a lot of smoke and crap. After that it would run great. Sometimes you just have to open them up and run em hard to clean them out.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #6

Idle Problem

Mac
I checked the caps on the tubes and one was very loose. I put a dab of silicone on the outside and slip the cap back over. Hopefully that was the culprit. I also use seafoam in the fuel a couple times a season.

Thanks guys for the input.

Jeff

Old 05-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Idle Problem

Get new caps at Sanels AKA Parts Plus. best caps cheap, and replace them all or check once a year. If and when you get up this way do make a point to drop in.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it