Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
Todd - Your Mean City Cycles Review

Todd,

Didn't you have your seat worked on by MCC before the trip to Custer? How did that work for you and what did you have done to your seat? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Dave

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Hey Dave,

Yeah, I had the 2 layers of memory foam and reshaping done about 300+/- before starting the Custer trip. I think they call it their DoubleDecker modification.

I think it was most well worth the $140 I paid for it. Let me say first that I was not REAL displeased with the stock seat, but thought a little more comfort would be great for the long trip out and back to Custer.

I got to ride about around 300 miles before the trip and had it broken in just a little I think. After the first day of around 500 miles I think it was broken in very good. I could definitely go tank to tank with it.....around 180 miles. It stays "soft" because the foam never depresses into the hard seat pan. I think as motorcycle seats go, this is the most comfortable one I have ever owned including Mustangs....probably not a DayLong...but not nearly the cost either.

I will also say this. Riding it constantly for an average of just under 400 miles per day for 11 days I thought it was very comfortable. I had only ridden about 50 miles since the trip and that was the day after I got back. Well, I was off today and took a little 250 quicky up to the Blue Ridge Parkway for dinner....I noticed immediately when I sat on the seat that it was definitely fitting me like a glove now that the "11 day riding wear" had time to recover. I was even more impressed after today's ride.

So to sum up......I have never owned, and have only sat on a DayLong for a second and I suspect this is not as comfortable as that, however, for $140 it is most definitely a vast improvement over the above average comfort stock seat.

Hope this rambling helps...........if you have any other questions, fire em off.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 07-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #3

I had the same mod as Todd. I am satisfied with the $140 investment. I still feel like I'm sitting on the seat rather than in it though. There were better mods offered but then you begin approaching the price of a Mustang so I wouldn't go that far. Before the mod I couldn't go tank to tank but now I can. It was worth it IMO.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Hey Mitch, I know yours has been in the shop getting the seal fixed. After you get it back after having ridden 3000 plus on it to Custer and back ..... and your long ride butt has healed a little .... I will be curious if you feel the seat kind of "fits you" now when you jump back on it. Thats really the best way I can describe it now....and I almost had a little sensation of sitting "in" the seat, though it is nothing close to the daylong.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 07-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Todd,

I love you man. You may take over BD's spot!!! :) All joking aside, thanks for the information, this is exactly what I needed. I took a mini-run to see how I held up for my upcoming trip to Ohio from OK and my butt is definitely tired and sore (about 340 miles) so I think I am going to go this route since I love my Grasshopper back rest and don't feel like spending the money for a Mustang or Russel at this point. Later I will have to have the passenger seat done for my wife so her toosh doesn't ache anymore either. If we ever get a chance to hook up, hopefully at the rally next year, I owe ya a beer or two or three. :) Thanks again.

Dave

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Mitch,

Thanks for the input. I think, if they can, I will get this done before the trip to Ohio. I am thankful you guys are able to provide the input I needed. I loved my ride today, but towards the end my a$$ was starting to really hurt. I need something that can give me 500 miles without feeling like my a$$ is going to fall off.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhomoney
Todd,

I love you man. You may take over BD's spot!!! :) All joking aside, thanks for the information, this is exactly what I needed. I took a mini-run to see how I held up for my upcoming trip to Ohio from OK and my butt is definitely tired and sore (about 340 miles) so I think I am going to go this route since I love my Grasshopper back rest and don't feel like spending the money for a Mustang or Russel at this point. Later I will have to have the passenger seat done for my wife so her toosh doesn't ache anymore either. If we ever get a chance to hook up, hopefully at the rally next year, I owe ya a beer or two or three. :) Thanks again.

Dave
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.......BEER ;) ;)

...and stop touching yourself....you'll go blind :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 07-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #8

Todd,

I picked it up this afternoon and the seat felt comfortable considering I passed a pretty good sized kidney stone at noon today. I thought my head was full of rocks but I think gravity took over and they all fell down to my kidneys. Back to the subject, the seat felt good, no kidding. I think the trip took its toll on haunches. All healed up now. David, if you need a spare stock seat, let me know. You can have mine for $25 + shipping. That's what I paid for it. That would eliminate the 1 week of down time while your seat is gone. I'll check back tomorrow. Got to get to bed. 4 am comes early.

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Old 07-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
Top Contributor

How about a name of the business, where they are located, what they chg for the double decker for the driver, whats the chg for the passenger same double decker, is it a good purchase. Thx guys.

Dennis

Old 07-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Doc,

Here is their web address with pricing and everything.

http://www.meancitycycles.com/index.php

Old 07-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Todd,

I picked it up this afternoon and the seat felt comfortable considering I passed a pretty good sized kidney stone at noon today. I thought my head was full of rocks but I think gravity took over and they all fell down to my kidneys. Back to the subject, the seat felt good, no kidding. I think the trip took its toll on haunches. All healed up now. David, if you need a spare stock seat, let me know. You can have mine for $25 + shipping. That's what I paid for it. That would eliminate the 1 week of down time while your seat is gone. I'll check back tomorrow. Got to get to bed. 4 am comes early.
Hell yeah, I will take you up on that offer. I can even send you a shipping label to fedex it to me so you will only have to box and ship. Let me know how you want to handle it. Thanks for the offer Mitch. Yet another reason to love KawaNOW.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhomoney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Todd,

Hell yeah, I will take you up on that offer. I can even send you a shipping label to fedex it to me so you will only have to box and ship. Let me know how you want to handle it. Thanks for the offer Mitch. Yet another reason to love KawaNOW.
PM sent Dave.

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Old 07-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #13

You guys who had the seat done at MCC you sold me :0..I talked with them last month before the Finger lakes Ride.. I have a reworked stock seat,w/gel and they will redo the seat and re install the gel pad on the bottom and the foam on top... IMO sounds like a WIN WIN deal. the price is great ,and to have a pain free BUTT is better after a long day in the saddle LOL....Rich

Old 07-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Thx Guys, Im looking for more lon ride comfort also. Just hard to decide which mod would be best?? price is not the object here since any mod is under $300. :-)

Old 07-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
How about a name of the business, where they are located, what they chg for the double decker for the driver, , is it a good purchase. Thx guys.

Dennis
How about a name of the business - Mean City Cycles

where they are located - western NC, most of their business is via mail/packaging. Per Dave..see their website.

what they chg for the double decker for the driver - $140

whats the chg for the passenger same double decker - dunno, prolly on the website

is it a good purchase - to quote myself "I think it was most well worth the $140 I paid for it.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC