Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 12-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #1

New helmet?

My Basic MSF instructor suggested getting a new helmet every couple years. Reasons: they wear-out with time and normal use plus the new ones keep getting better and lighter. I've had mine 9 years but the one that I would get is on a good sale now. Not looking for make/model recommendations but - do helmets really wear out from normal use or age, assuming they haven't been dropped? Sale ends tomorrow and it is a high-end product so could use some thoughts.

Thanks for any comments.

BTW the same instructor suggested getting new tires every 5000 miles, front and rear, no matter what the wear was.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to dabull
New helmet?

I would assume...that everytime you put the helmet on you you mush a few cells of the foam...and that over 9-years that have been mushed alot....just a thought, nothing scientific, no proof:)

Old 12-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Top Contributor

New helmet?

I think he has stocks in helmit and tire companies :-/
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #4

New helmet?

The soft foam is just for comfort. The stiffer foam is the crush space, I can't picture it degrading that soon. If it got stiffer over the years that would be bad.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #5

New helmet?

Googled " when should you replace your motorcycle helmet?"

According to MSF http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/helmet_CSI.pdf:
Why replace your helmet every few years if it doesn't appear
damaged? Its protective qualities may deteriorate with time and
wear. The chin strap may fray or loosen at its attaching points; the shell could be chipped or damaged. The best reason is that helmets keep improving. Chances are that the helmet you buy in a couple of years will be better – stronger, lighter, and more comfortable – than the one you own now. It might even cost less!

According to helmetsup.com:http://helmetsup.com/when-should-rep...lmet-i-25.html
A safety motorcycle helmet's useful service life, usually three to five years, is dependent upon the intensity and frequency of its use.

According to HJC helmets http://www.hjchelmets.com/helmet_usage.htm Even if your helmet has not been damaged, it needs to be replaced every 3 to 5 years depending on how much you use it. Over time, UV rays and adhesive and component aging will damage your helmet. Wearing a damaged helmet may increase your risk of serious injury or death in an accident.

Hope that helps:)

Aloha

Derry

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-31-2008, 02:12 AM   #6

New helmet?

HJC would be interested in selling more products but I don't see a direct connection about how an MSF instructor would benefit from more helmet sales.

Personally, I would like to replace my helmet after 9 or 10 years just do to the sweat and overall use.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:47 AM   #7

New helmet?

Every 3-5 years? Heck I don't even change my oil that often!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 12-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #8

New helmet?

wonder what about helmets that have never been used, I got several that I won at poker runs I never put on

Old 12-31-2008, 08:47 AM   #9

New helmet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksaw
HJC would be interested in selling more products but I don't see a direct connection about how an MSF instructor would benefit from more helmet sales.

Personally, I would like to replace my helmet after 9 or 10 years just do to the sweat and overall use.
I would have to agree with that. I think the thing that would deteriorate the safety foam would be moisture. Whether you got it wet or just from years of sweaty head. Wet then dry then wet then dry I would think would do it. I am guilty too. My helmet is nearly 10 years old but I don't think I have worn it more than 20 times. I know shame on me. We have no helmet law and I grew up with that. Plus it doesn't vent well so when it is hot I really sweat. I am getting new open face helmets for me and the wife before we ride this year.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #10

New helmet?

Thanks for the comments. Derry, thanks for showing where the suggestion comes from, seems to be the manufacturers' and MSF party line. The helmet I'm looking at, a full-face is the successor, by one or two generations, to the one I got 9 years ago. It is much lighter, has a wider side view, and better ventilation. I tend to wear my 1/2 dome in warmer weather more because it is lighter, has better side visibility and is cooler. So, knowing the stats for full-face verse other alternatives and the concern about aging helmets... decisions decisions.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:57 AM   #11

New helmet?

I wear a full face helmet on every ride. Hot or cold. I like my face the way it is, handsome ;)
Hey, I'm just saying.................
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #12

New helmet?

I don't know the "science" but it seems reasonable that the different plastics and foams in the helmet would age and deteriorate over time. They may look fine, but after 3-5 years they might not perform as well as when they were new. It would be interesting to see tests/studies on this.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #13

New helmet?

From practical experience in football, our helmets have to be replaced about every 5 years. They are totally reconditioned every year and recertified for use. I saw a video awhile back about helmets and fitting that had Jay Leno on it and a guy from Arai (sp). The rep said that most helmets are not fitted correctly and are too large of a shell for the rider. He said that most people should be in a shell size at least one lower with different ear pieces. Just a thought for everyone to ponder. I know I probably should look into this myself.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 01-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #14

New helmet?

Summary for full-face fans -

Well I did it, somewhat pressured by the sale although mostly for the newer features, but also with some concern for the integrity of the nine-year-old one. The improvements are very notable (Shoei RF800 to RF1000 w/ 25% off) and to me well worth the cost regardless of any concerns about the condition of the older one. It's so light you really hardly feel its weight as you swing your head around, the side vision is so much improved that it is dramatic, also the lower vision now allows one to see the Vulcan speedo and lights in the normal riding position. There are more options on ventilation and a chin cover to keep cool air and bugs from coming in under the helmet. I realize that most these advantages would be obtained by just not wearing a helmet in the first place or a smaller one, both of which I do on occasion, but now I'm pretty sure that until the summer heat is too much, I'll be sticking with the new full-face for all my riding.

I was reminded, that unlike football helmets, motorcycle helmets are designed for a one time impact and and then should be replaced. My old one did have several scratches and even chips that I don't recall how they got there but must have had a little more abuse than I recall so now that the money is gone I feel pretty good about it. Rode four hours yesterday just relishing it, on top of the usual joys.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #15

New helmet?

Congrats on your puchase, wear it well:)