Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 03-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

New helmet

Yesterday, I went to Helmet Harbor (a local store and also selling online) looking for a skid lid. Just something to wear that's light and is at least better than my uncovered gourd in the summer heat. I was looking at them, trying them on and none were especially comfortable. I currently wear a Bell Drifter 1/2 helmet in warm weather and after a hundred miles or so, I get this hot spot right at the front of my head, at about the hairline that just gets increasingly worse as the ride goes on.

I was browsing the racks of helmets and Todd (owner of HH) came over and was asking what I was looking for. I told him and he said, this isn't exactly what you're looking for but try it on. He handed me a Scorpion EXO-100 1/2 helmet. I have never worn a more comfortable fitting helmet. I was also looking at the HJC AC-21M (I think). Not bad, but wasn't as comfortable on me as the EXO-100. Plus, the EXO-100 has a built-in flip down shield, a fully removable liner, easily removed ear/neck curtains, and a snap-off visor. I bought one in matte black and took it home. Went on a 180 mile ride yesterday with the new helmet. It didn't seem like it needed any breaking in, it was instantly comfortable.

I'd like to add that Helmet Harbor is a great vendor to deal with. They are super nice and really know their helmets! They also sell some accessories like ear plugs and some riding apparel. I bought my Nolan N42 N-com from them in November, they really took care of me. They special ordered one in my size and I had it in my hands in 3 days.

I think the Bell Drifter is going to stay on the shelf from now on. They are nice helmets, but this one never quite fit me very well.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #2

New helmet

CJ, what size helmet do you wear? I wear a 2XL & your head looks twice as big as mine!! LOL

BD wears an XS on his pinhead.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

New helmet

Quote:
CJ, what size helmet do you wear? I wear a 2XL & your head looks twice as big as mine!! LOL

Naw, They had to special order the Nolan because they didn't have a 2X in stock. However, the EXO-100 I bought is size L. Go figure.

Big head = bigger brain.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #4

New helmet

Quote:
[quote:f7dhms85]CJ, what size helmet do you wear? I wear a 2XL & your head looks twice as big as mine!! LOL

Naw, They had to special order the Nolan because they didn't have a 2X in stock. However, the EXO-100 I bought is size L. Go figure.

Big head = bigger brain.[/quote:f7dhms85]

+1 !

Old 03-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #5

New helmet

CactusJack,
I wear a xxxL on my big head and even then some don't fit. I use the baseball bat trick.
For minor adjustments where the helmet is too small, just roll the bat around over the tight spot. It will crush the styrofoam down a bit . for tighter spots, a ball peen hammer gently tapped around the tight spot and then roll with the bat. You will be amazed at how much you can adjust a tight fitting helmet.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Top Contributor

New helmet

Quote:
CactusJack,
I wear a xxxL on my big head and even then some don't fit. I use the baseball bat trick.
For minor adjustments where the helmet is too small, just roll the bat around over the tight spot. It will crush the styrofoam down a bit . for tighter spots, a ball peen hammer gently tapped around the tight spot and then roll with the bat. You will be amazed at how much you can adjust a tight fitting helmet.
and if that doesn't work you can use the bat on you head to made adjustments ;) ::) :'(
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #7

New helmet

I have the EXO100 in gloss black and love it. If I ever get a full face helmet it will be the EXO1000. They make a great product.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #8

New helmet

Sorry, couldn't let this slide. If you crush the styrofoam "down a bit" aren't you compromising the crash effectiveness of the helmet? I mean thats one of the main purposes of the foam, to absorb the impact.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #9

New helmet

Quote:
Sorry, couldn't let this slide. If you crush the styrofoam "down a bit" aren't you compromising the crash effectiveness of the helmet? I mean thats one of the main purposes of the foam, to absorb the impact.
Gotta agree. I was thinking the same thing.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #10

New helmet

TC, you took the words right out of my mouth man. It is said if your helmet falls of your bike and hits the ground, technically, manufacturers say to replace it. If the styrofoam core recieves any damage ( compression) it could compromise it's integrity.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #11

New helmet

I agree with flightdoc, tc, and misunderstood.

But I'll add that if the helmet wasn't comfortable, and you would tend to not wear it because it was uncomfortable and therefor go helmetless, then one with the foam compromised is better than no helmet.

The foam in a helmet (the stiff stuff, not the padding) is made to "squish" and the time and distance that it takes to squish gives your brain that much time and distance to slow down, before it collides with your skull (then rebounds and collides with the opposite side).

If you flatten it out some, then the time and distance will be shorter, and the brain theoreticly will hit harder and sooner.

But if it makes the difference between wearing it, or leaving it home, even a compromised one will offer a lot of protection that you otherwise wouldn't have.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #12

New helmet

I agree Dan, but one should not have the issue if they try it on before buying.
I know some people buy on line. I just bought 2 helmets on line. I ordered a medium for Cindy and waited for it to come in the mail. It fit her but was tight on me. So I ordered a large for me and it fit great. If they didn't I would have returned them.
Yes I could have gone to a dealer and tried one on to get the right fit then bought on line but I think that is taking advantage of the dealer.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #13

New helmet

I'm guessing that if Shep needs a XXXL that he might have a tough time finding anything that fits better, the few minor adjustments might be the best he can do.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #14

New helmet

Quote:

No doubt.... how about just removing all the styrofoam and free-skulling?

<marquee> </marquee>

Old 03-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
Mega-Contributor

New helmet

Quote:
I agree Dan, but one should not have the issue if they try it on before buying.
I know some people buy on line. I just bought 2 helmets on line. I ordered a medium for Cindy and waited for it to come in the mail. It fit her but was tight on me. So I ordered a large for me and it fit great. If they didn't I would have returned them.
Yes I could have gone to a dealer and tried one on to get the right fit then bought on line but I think that is taking advantage of the dealer.
A year ago, I tried ordering an HJC helmet online. It fit poorly and I ended up selling it and the mushroom head effect made me look like some alien. OTOH, I tried the Bell Drifter on in the store before I bought it and it seemed comfortable. It is comfortable for the first couple hours on a long ride, then it starts to irritate the old forehead something firce. I think it's partially due to the high-speed buffeting. The drifter has a relatively large exposed bottom surface and the updraft from the tank and up my chest hits that surface and the helmet starts to wobble a bit. I think it's the constant movement while riding at high speeds that does it.

The EXO-100 seems to have a deeper fit and envelops more of your head. The flip down visor is cool too. I rode to work this morning and left the house at 06:15, before the sun was up all the way. Normally, I'd put my clear goggles on, today I just flipped the little visor down and even though it's tinted, it's no darker than the tinting on a car windshield. I could read signs, etc just fine. It was in the 40's, but because it's a 1/2 visor, there were no fogging issues.

I'll still ride with no helmet from time to time, especially when it gets hot. When I do wear one, I want it to be comfortable.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060