Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #1

Victory test ride

Coldwater Powersports Had a Victory demo day yesterday. I went and rode a XCT and a Vision. There are a lot of nice features on both bikes and a few issues like any bike. Me being 6'4" and a 36" inseam ( add another 1-2") for boots makes it hard to find something stock that fits well. Here are my options of both.

The XCT is very short in the leg area, any more than 32" inseam and I would think it would be a issue. It even had forward pegs and still not good. The steering was quite different from the nomad, not bad just awkward to me. The stock seat was really comfy the dash and controls set up nice and easy to navigate. They look really nice. The heel/toe shifter awkward. transmission very loud/clunky shifting thru gear( all of the victory seem that way in the group ride you could hear them in front and behind you). The radio sound was the most disappointing part of the bike my cheap shark system sounds better. I thought maybe need adjusted, asked and they said that was about as good as it got. Overall a nice bike but not for someone of my height.

The vision fit me much better seat even more comfy. Same tranny noise and no heel shifter. radio just as bad. The handling was a lot better, a lot like my nomad the way I have it set up, very smooth and nimble at low and high speed and thru the twisty. The power windshield was nice. cruise control cool. Controls and dash set up nice also. I think I could ride this all day. Passenger area on this one was the Issue, My Wife is only 5'3" and 125lbs, with me sitting so far back she could barely get here heel on the floor board and the back rest pushed her arms out.

One other thing I notice was the heat coming off the engines. It was only @75 degrees out and it was almost unbearable. Even my wife complained about it, and shes cold blooded.

Over all nice bikes but The 1600 Nomad still better fit for me. I did set on a new 1700 and it was worse than the XCT. The only other bike that they had that seen to fit both of us was a 2009 Yamaha Royal Star Venture ( the added bonus of a cassette play was a plus). Wife really like the tour pak on this one, so now i'm looking for one for the nomad.
So looks Like the Nomad is staying for a while and will get a few more up grades to get it better for longer trips.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by plumber63; 06-10-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #2

I believe that is the first time I have ever seen the words "nomad" and "nimble" in same sentence!

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #3

I'm just in shock that the Victory kool-aid failed so miserably!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 06-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
I'm just in shock that the Victory kool-aid failed so miserably!

Where are the Victory twins to defend their pride and joy?
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber63 View Post
Coldwater Powersports Had a Victory demo day yesterday. I went and rode a CCT and a Vision. There are a lot of nice features on both bikes and a few issues like any bike. Me being 6'4" and a 36" inseam ( add another 1-2") for boots makes it hard to find something stock that fits well. Here are my options of both.

The CCT is very short in the leg area, any more than 32" inseam and I would think it would be a issue. It even had forward pegs and still not good. The steering was quite different from the nomad, not bad just awkward to me. The stock seat was really comfy the dash and controls set up nice and easy to navigate. They look really nice. The heel/toe shifter awkward. transmission very loud/clunky shifting thru gear( all of the victory seem that way in the group ride you could hear them in front and behind you). The radio sound was the most disappointing part of the bike my cheap shark system sounds better. I thought maybe need adjusted, asked and they said that was about as good as it got. Overall a nice bike but not for someone of my height.

The vision fit me much better seat even more comfy. Same tranny noise and no heel shifter. radio just as bad. The handling was a lot better, a lot like my nomad the way I have it set up, very smooth and nimble at low and high speed and thru the twisty. The power windshield was nice. cruise control cool. Controls and dash set up nice also. I think I could ride this all day. Passenger area on this one was the Issue, My Wife is only 5'3" and 125lbs, with me sitting so far back she could barely get here heel on the floor board and the back rest pushed her arms out.

One other thing I notice was the heat coming off the engines. It was only @75 degrees out and it was almost unbearable. Even my wife complained about it, and shes cold blooded.

Over all nice bikes but The 1600 Nomad still better fit for me. I did set on a new 1700 and it was worse than the CCT. The only other bike that they had that seen to fit both of us was a 2009 Yamaha Royal Star Venture ( the added bonus of a cassette play was a plus). Wife really like the tour pak on this one, so now i'm looking for one for the nomad.
So looks Like the Nomad is staying for a while and will get a few more up grades to get it better for longer trips.
I kind of got some of the same impressions you had, but I drove a XC, not a XCT. The XC had the worst wind management of any bike I have ever been on. The road debris that came up under the fairing peppered me like a shotgun blast at highway speeds.

The radio was awful. At first I attributed it to the wind noise, but even sitting still it sounded pretty bad. I did not attempt to adjust any settings on the radio, so maybe a little toying around with it would help the sound quality.

The transmission was a bit clunky, but I think I would get used to that. One thing I would have to do on that bike is change the rear brake pedal and add a heel shifter. The first couple of times I tried to brake using the rear brake pedal, I couldn't find it. It's just a little gear shifter style rod and it's really close to the engine housing.

I didn't ride the XCT, but I want to at some point. I'm sure at least some of my issues would be addressed on the touring bike. As for the Vision, I have absolutely no interest in it. I don't care for the looks.

It's possible that the XCT could be my next bike. Right now, if I were going to make a change from the Voyager it would come down to a XCT, Electra Glide or a Goldwing.
VBA Member #02104
2013 HD 110th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
I believe that is the first time I have ever seen the words "nomad" and "nimble" in same sentence!
me too !!!
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 06-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by landman View Post
me too !!!
It is funny. When I owned my Nomad I rode my brother's Honda VTX 1800 and thought the Nomad was a much more "nimble" and comfortable bike.

I guess it depends what you compare it against. Next to a Sport Tourer or Crotch Rocket, it may not seem nimble but it is probably better handling than many baggers out there.

I think the Nomad is a good all around value, especially the 1500/1600. I have not ridden a 1700 (but sat on one long enough that I knew it did not fit me well).
VBA #659

Old 06-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #8

I'm sure the Victory boys on here will chime in soon.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 06-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #9

Quote:
It maybe the way I have it set up. I have phattII risers and the bars rolled back and down. Along with my body and arm length I get more leverage to turn and lean it, like a longer handle torque wrench you can get more precise on the amount of force you put on something.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 06-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
I guess it depends what you compare it against. Next to a Sport Tourer or Crotch Rocket, it may not seem nimble but it is probably better handling than many baggers out there.
Put a Nomad out there against a crotch rocket in a 40 mph cross wind and see what preforms better.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 06-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Put a Nomad out there against a crotch rocket in a 40 mph cross wind and see what preforms better.
Good point.
VBA #659

Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Put it out there against a ST 1300 and the ST will eat it alive in corners and straights, as well as tank range and comfort.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
I'm sure the Victory boys on here will chime in soon.
LOL....okay....I'll bite.....but not like you think. I can only really speak to the XCT as that is what I know. As for what Mike said about the XC...I have to agree....lame wind management if any. Those issues are addressed in the touring model for sure. I rode both bikes back to back during my test rides and there is a huge difference in the bikes wind management. The XC has none and the XCT has lots.

For anyone as tall as plumber63....it would be hard to find something that fits. On the XCT....the hard lowers would seem be a problem for a guy with that long of an inseam, so his concerns there are valid. I too did not like the toe only shifter....so I added the heel shifter so it is like my Nomad was. The Vic heel shifter is not like the one I got from Kewlmetal, which is more like what we're used to.

As for the stereo....it is stock, no better or worse than other stock radios. The only difference I can tell between the one on my XCT and the one on my Voyager is that the XCT comes with four speakers (two in the trunk) and automatically reduces the volume when you slow down. The Voyager had only two speakers and no auto adust. As for sound quality, I couldn't tell a difference. Anyone who is that serious about their radio would probably add amps and better speakers and whatever other audio magic they needed to get their groove on. That's a whole 'nother thread. On a long trip to Idaho recently....even with my earplugs in at 70mph....I could hear my XM radio well enough to keep my head bobbing all the way across the state....

The steering is definitely different because the steering head is much farther forward on the Vic and the turning action is different. The best way I can describe it is to think of the action of a rocking chair vs a glider turned on their sides, the Nomad being the rocking chair with a single pivot point. The XCT is like the glider and requires you move both hands left to right or right to left in order to turn that bad boy in a close space. There is not much difference at speed...just slow speed maneuvers, but you get used to it quick.

Plumber...were you able to get them out on the highway and stretch the legs on the two bikes? If so....how did the power difference strike you between the Vision, XCT and Nomad? I am still amazed at the passing power of the stock Vics as most of the extra cheese is in the top end of those bikes. As for ergos, I need the cargo space of the XCT, so the Vision was not an option, but those who ride them seem to love them. I will always have a soft spot though for my 1600 Nomad...it was an all around great bike for a great value that gave me many miles of smiles throughout 12 western States and two Canadian Provinces. BTW...convert that to east coast terms and it would be equivalent to about 32 States.....

Anyways, I've come to really appreciate the different needs that everyone has for their bikes and there are many, value, reliability, comfort, power, lifestyle, ergos, bells & whistles,.....whatever it is....we all gotta ride what we gotta ride for whatever reason it is we gotta ride it...and amen to that....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Last edited by Netnorske; 06-10-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
The Voyager had only two speakers and no auto adust.
Seriously? I thought they did have automatic volume control?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Put it out there against a ST 1300 and the ST will eat it alive in corners and straights, as well as tank range and comfort.
Hey this is the Nomad praising and Victory bashing thread.....don't change the subject smart guy
VBA #659