Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #1

Question Sena SMH-10D questions

Okay....I'm about ready to get a pair of communication systems so I can talk to my passenger. I'm looking at the SENA SMH-10d-11 ($280 a pair new) and the SENA SMH-10d-10 ($222 a pair new). From reading the descriptions, I can't find the difference, and whether the expense is worth it.

I also have some questions on how they actually work. If both my wife and I are on my bike:
1: Can we talk and listen to each other without having to push any buttons?
2: If I have my iPod playing, can we both hear it?
3: If I get a phone call, does my wife hear everything? Can she join in on the phone converstaion as well?
4: If both my wife and I have our phones...can I connect my phone to mine, and her phone to hers?
5: I have a GPS on the bike...will it talk to both of us, or just me?

Note: I don't know if it makes a difference, but we do not have smart phones.

Thank you!!

Chief

'01 Vulcan Nomad 1500 Fi
'05 Yamaha V Star Classic 1100

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefK View Post
Okay....I'm about ready to get a pair of communication systems so I can talk to my passenger. I'm looking at the SENA SMH-10d-11 ($280 a pair new) and the SENA SMH-10d-10 ($222 a pair new). From reading the descriptions, I can't find the difference, and whether the expense is worth it.

I also have some questions on how they actually work. If both my wife and I are on my bike:
3: If I get a phone call, does my wife hear everything? Can she join in on the phone converstaion as well?
4: If both my wife and I have our phones...can I connect my phone to mine, and her phone to hers?

Thank you!!

Chief
Chief. I have the Sena MH10D but don't know and can't find (on the box) anything about the suffix -10 or -11.

I can tell you that yes you can leave your line open between conversations so you don't need to push the button each time but you will hear a little air.

I know you can keep the phone calls separate. I am pretty sure you can keep everything separate or combined if you want. Just a matter of pushing the right combo of buttons. But I don't use those features so wait for someone that does to chime in.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 06-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #3

Follow this link and download the 4.2 version of the manual and it will tell you if/how to do all of that. I keep a copy of the "Quick Reference" page on my bike because I only use some of the features once in a blue moon and tend to forget how they work.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/support/documents.php

We mainly use the intercom when 2 up. I use the phone/GPS when riding 1 up.
VBA #659

Old 06-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefK View Post

Thank you!!

Chief
Questions in numerical order:

1 Yes but I'd set it up for a tap or you will hear each other singing all the time.

2. No

3. No and thats a good thing. You actually could but you'd need to have your phone in your hand and connect both phones.

4. Yes

5. Your Sena can only link to one item at a time so if it's synced to your smartphone you can't sync it to your GPS. I use the GPS in my smart phone then it does work. I can be talking to my girl and the GPS will over ride it to give me directions. I can be listening to my music via smart phone and the GPS will over ride that too. You can set up your Sena to "prioritize" intercom, phone calls and music.

Mine is set up as follows:

Each one of us if we want to talk to each other just taps the dial once and we can talk in full duplex mode. either one taps their dial again and the intercom disconnects. Hold the dial down and hear 2 beeps and your music library on your smart phone starts playing your MP3's. As I'm cruising with my favorite tunes playing when the music starts to mute it's because my GPS is about to give me directions on your next turn.

As my GPS ends the directions my music comes back on. When I get a phone call I can have my phone set for auto answer after 2 to 5 rings or manually press a large button (not dial) on the Sena. Have my phone call and then when the party hangs up my music comes back on. Tap my dial and tell my passenger we got a call from whomever... She has the same ability with her smart phone and her Sena.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 06-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Top Contributor

The difference between the -10 and -11 is the boom mike. On the -10, it's a solid connection to the base (that mounts to the helmet). On the '11, it's separate and plugs in to the base unit. You velcro the mike wherever you want/need. Useful if you have to mount the base unit a bit higher than most.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Questions in numerical order:

1 Yes but I'd set it up for a tap or you will hear each other singing all the time.

2. No

3. No and thats a good thing. You actually could but you'd need to have your phone in your hand and connect both phones.

4. Yes

5. Your Sena can only link to one item at a time so if it's synced to your smartphone you can't sync it to your GPS. I use the GPS in my smart phone then it does work. I can be talking to my girl and the GPS will over ride it to give me directions. I can be listening to my music via smart phone and the GPS will over ride that too. You can set up your Sena to "prioritize" intercom, phone calls and music.

Mine is set up as follows:

Each one of us if we want to talk to each other just taps the dial once and we can talk in full duplex mode. either one taps their dial again and the intercom disconnects. Hold the dial down and hear 2 beeps and your music library on your smart phone starts playing your MP3's. As I'm cruising with my favorite tunes playing when the music starts to mute it's because my GPS is about to give me directions on your next turn.

As my GPS ends the directions my music comes back on. When I get a phone call I can have my phone set for auto answer after 2 to 5 rings or manually press a large button (not dial) on the Sena. Have my phone call and then when the party hangs up my music comes back on. Tap my dial and tell my passenger we got a call from whomever... She has the same ability with her smart phone and her Sena.
Correction regarding #5. On the SMH10 you CAN sync/link both a phone and GPS. You can't on the SMH5. See link below.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/downloa...Leaflet_EN.pdf
VBA #659

Old 06-09-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
I have the SMH-10 ....Here is what works for me.....and my opinion {without trying some of these myself}

Q: #1. "
Can we talk and listen to each other without having to push any buttons?"
A: Like Brad said, yes you can but I too would do the one tap on the lrg. "jog dial" for the same reason and more.

Q: #
A:I think you can, depending on what you're riding, and what iPod you have......I think you're on a less than new Nomad and not a Voyagerwith a quick hook up. I have a 2nd /maybe 3rd gen iPod and have a B.T. "dongle" attached to the iPod. You could sync each SENA separately. But there's a good chance you might like to listen to different stuff than your "lady". {on a side bar here, the older iPods don't have moving parts where the newer ones do and have a tendency to skip with vibration of the road/bike.}

Q #3.:
If I get a phone call, does my wife hear everything? Can she join in on the phone conversation as well?

A: I think you can sync one phone to each SENA. Trying to think why not But I would want her to sync her own phone to her headset. I think you do need a smart phone to sync with the SENA though.

Q #4.: If both my wife and I have our phones...can I connect my phone to mine, and her phone to hers?
A: See above

Q #5.: I have a GPS on the bike...will it talk to both of us, or just me?
A: I honestly don't know but if I were to guess I'd say yes, because if you are both sync'd to the GPS you should be good.

Riding solo I don't need most of what your asking about. The SENA tech's are pretty helpful and their manual is pretty informative.
http://www.senabluetooth.com/

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Last edited by rickyboy; 06-09-2013 at 04:40 AM.