Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #1

bevel gear bearing 1999 nomad 1500

I recently had clutch work done on my bike in a shop... they replaced my oil gear for me previously. also have learned the noise i was hearing on the road (whine on decel) is potentially the bevel gear bearing, which most likely is what caused the clutch to fail.

looking through the manual i have, and if im not mistaken, the front bevel gear bearing attaches after the driveshaft after the u joint leading into the differential? is that correct? I am debating whether to tackle this project myself, and also if in the process, if i should just go through the whole differential, and u joint assembly.

I have two to three options.

1. have the shop do it. (it is still there.) $$$$$$

2. attempt to tackle this task myself.... with some help $$

3. take the bike home remove all necessary parts, and remove the differential and driveshaft. give it to the shop, let them fix it, and reinstall on my own. $$$$

My personal thinking is option two and or three. I have seen various posts on this topic, but little to no photos, or videos of the process on the internet. I almost want to buy a used drive and differential off of ebay to get a better understanding of the components and process.

I saw mas has a wealth of knowledge on this topic, hint hint..

Sorry im longwinded here. any suggestions or advice you give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, kevin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #2

Give me a call, but I'm on the road tonight (Saturday).

It's a fairly straightforward, but labor intensive job.

I figure about $100 in parts and somewhere around 10-12 hours.

MT
VBA 936

Old 02-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
Give me a call, but I'm on the road tonight (Saturday).

It's a fairly straightforward, but labor intensive job.

I figure about $100 in parts and somewhere around 10-12 hours.

MT
What MAS said! Between him explaining to you the process, and looking at what the Clymer or Chilton manual tells you, you should be comfortable with it if you can wrench some.
Just be doubly sure to keep everything clean messing with the bearings and the gears!

The 90 degree gear drive, and the driveshaft joints are hi wear items. I keep a backup up on my shelf. I kept my eyes on ebay, ordering things like that , that I know wear or need attention fast. Guess I've been a bike mechanic too long!
Anyway, things that I know I'll need, maybe not tomorrow, but maybe 6 months from now, or next year, I have backups. And that 90 degree drive is one of them. I also have a extra driveshaft thats all greased up, another starter, list goes on....but thats just me! They're not gonna go bad sitting there, but they're there when I need them. Just like plugs and fuses....

I think Tear-it-up & Fix-It has a video or write up on it somewhere....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 02-04-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:34 AM   #4

If you're anything like I think you are, you probably could build most of a bike with spare parts on the shelves.

If I had a couple of frames and a couple of other misc pieces I could probably put at least one bike together.

If I don't have at least 2 packages of parts delivered each week, something is wrong.

I just saw an outer stator and cover off a 17000 mile bike for a price I couldn't resist.

I had a 1600 swingarm complete with final drive and drive shaft arrive this week.

I know that there are at least 2 radiators on the shelf, one is complete with all of the fittings, fan, front cover, and at least one other fan.

A couple sets of regulators, a couple of starters.

I carry, I think, 2 front brake light switches and 2 or 3 clutch lever starter switches in the tour pack on my Nomad.

And on and on.

Like I said in another thread, it's an addiction.

And I got in last night about 12:30 after driving up and picking up Roadhawg's broken Nomad.

It never ends.

MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
What MAS said! Between him explaining to you the process, and looking at what the Clymer or Chilton manual tells you, you should be comfortable with it if you can wrench some.
Just be doubly sure to keep everything clean messing with the bearings and the gears!

The 90 degree gear drive, and the driveshaft joints are hi wear items. I keep a backup up on my shelf. I kept my eyes on ebay, ordering things like that , that I know wear or need attention fast. Guess I've been a bike mechanic too long!
Anyway, things that I know I'll need, maybe not tomorrow, but maybe 6 months from now, or next year, I have backups. And that 90 degree drive is one of them. I also have a extra driveshaft thats all greased up, another starter, list goes on....but thats just me! They're not gonna go bad sitting there, but they're there when I need them. Just like plugs and fuses....

I think Tear-it-up & Fix-It has a video or write up on it somewhere....
VBA 936

Old 02-06-2017, 03:29 AM   #5

Yea, I've got my 1500 I ride, then I have the 1500 that I'm triking, I put the Thunder 1600 into the bike I ride everyday. The trike I'm building is a complete 1500, thats the one the Thunder 1500 is going into that gonna have the turbo.
Just picked up another 1600 engine, bevel drive, driveshaft, rear drive unit for a little of nothing....
Yea, I have enough pieces parts to put about 3 1/2 bikes together.
The 1500 classic bobber I have is the one I ride when the Nomad is down....which is my backup....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI