Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #1

Downloading GPS Routes

The Mrs. finally got her GPS for Christmas; I guess she got tired of my ol' school navigation methods. Now I'm trying to figure out how to download planned routes from Google or HD Ride Planner. The GPS is a Garmin Nuvi 1490T. Any pointers would be appreciated.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Downloading GPS Routes

I have a Nuvi 550, so I can't guarantee this procedure will be the same for the model your wife has. I had to download a browser plugin from Garmin called "Garmin Communicator Plugin". It allows your browser to recognize and talk to the Garmin unit. Once you have that installed, you can go to the HD Ride Planner and if you click on GPS Synchronization, it should detect your GPS unit (connected to your PC with the USB cable) and allow you to download routes to it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #3

Downloading GPS Routes

Somewhere there is a problem with the Garmin Communicator Plugin. Is it loaded on the PC or GPS? HD Ride Planner GPS Synchronization, will not detect the GPS unit.
VBA #1047

Old 12-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Downloading GPS Routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndbigfish
Somewhere there is a problem with the Garmin Communicator Plugin. Is it loaded on the PC or GPS? HD Ride Planner GPS Synchronization, will not detect the GPS unit.
It's a plugin (add-on) program that is installed in your browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc). I can't remember if I had to do anything to the GPS, I don't think I did.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #5

Downloading GPS Routes

Quote:
You can also save the route as a gpx file to you computer. Then connect your gps and copy the file to the gpx directory or wherever the maps are stored on your gps. At least that's how it works on the Nuvi 550. From the specs, yours should be the same. You should also have mapsource installed on your pc if you updated to the latest maps. I use that almost exclusively now. It has some quirks but is not a bad program once you get used to it. I've found the routes don't come across exactly from HD planner once in a while.

If you update to the latest maps (you're allowed one update for free) it should install the communicator software in one of the steps as you have to connect your unit while you are doing the update.

Also, I recommend copying everything on the gps to your pc or another backup just in case.

Pete

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-28-2009, 11:57 PM   #6

Downloading GPS Routes

I have a garmin 765 and i use the harley site to make up some routes. The harley site will sync with a garmin. I also found out you can do your own routing on the garmin by first plugging in the start and stop points first then you can add different stops. When you add in the extra stops it will ask if its a new stop or a via point. Click yes on the via point and it will reroute you.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #7

Downloading GPS Routes

Garmin site says the Communicator Plugin is loaded and correct, however the HD Ride Planner sight will not recognize my GPS unit.
VBA #1047

Old 12-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #8

Downloading GPS Routes

Lurking & Learning.. Garmin 255 WT for X mas

Old 12-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #9

Downloading GPS Routes

Quote:
Garmin site says the Communicator Plugin is loaded and correct, however the HD Ride Planner sight will not recognize my GPS unit.
I just hooked mine up to HDRP and it recognized it ok. I assume your pc and garmin web site recognize the unit ok? Must be something in HDRP then. Any antivirus, anti-spam stuff? I use zonealarm, avg antivirus and no-script and the latter often prevents sites loading and I have to over ride some settings. Just guessing (hoping!) it may be something like that...

Pete

Old 12-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #10

Downloading GPS Routes

I disabled the firewall on the security software, but HDRP will not detect the GPS. HDRP says it will recognize "some" Garmin GPS units maybe the Nuvi 1490 isn't one of them. I guess I'll try Mapsource. Thanks for the help Pete and Scott.
VBA #1047

Old 12-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #11

Downloading GPS Routes

Quote:
I disabled the firewall on the security software, but HDRP will not detect the GPS. HDRP says it will recognize "some" Garmin GPS units maybe the Nuvi 1490 isn't one of them. I guess I'll try Mapsource. Thanks for the help Pete and Scott.
Maybe the 1490 is too new a unit? The other program I play around with once in a while but it's slow on my computer is tyre:

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

It started for the Tom Tom, I think, but works ok with the Garmin. Again, you really only need to make a map and save as a gpx file and then copy to your nuvi. I never connect the nuvi to the mapping software. It's faster just to copy after the maps are complete IMO and I'm in control of what goes into the nuvi. The tyre program does use google map or google earth but like I said, I find it slow unless you have a really fast computer. Mine's not the fastest but not slowest either. I guess judge for yourself. Just another option for ya'

A goody I found on the net is a great set of maps for Route 66. It has all the different alignments and side trips. Someone did a great job putting this together. I learned a lot about map source and how routes work and way points, etc. just playing around with these maps.

http://www.historic66.com/gps/garmin/

Pete

Old 12-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #12

Downloading GPS Routes

Quote:
Mapsource will download to my Zumo 550 almost instantly.
The only thing is it takes me forever to plan a route 'cause the Mapsource program is a pain in the ass to use. It should be more like Microsoft Streets and Trips. Unfortunatly S&T will not recognize Garmin.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
Downloading GPS Routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Quote:
Maybe the 1490 is too new a unit? The other program I play around with once in a while but it's slow on my computer is tyre:

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

It started for the Tom Tom, I think, but works ok with the Garmin. Again, you really only need to make a map and save as a gpx file and then copy to your nuvi. I never connect the nuvi to the mapping software. It's faster just to copy after the maps are complete IMO and I'm in control of what goes into the nuvi. The tyre program does use google map or google earth but like I said, I find it slow unless you have a really fast computer. Mine's not the fastest but not slowest either. I guess judge for yourself. Just another option for ya'

A goody I found on the net is a great set of maps for Route 66. It has all the different alignments and side trips. Someone did a great job putting this together. I learned a lot about map source and how routes work and way points, etc. just playing around with these maps.

http://www.historic66.com/gps/garmin/

Pete
Tyre is a great program. I used it to map my route out to Ohio back in August and uploaded it to my TomTom Rider2. It works great.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #14

Downloading GPS Routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantakaw59
Lurking & Learning.. Garmin 255 WT for X mas
This unit doesn't support downloaded routes. You can download points and then select each in turn and press Go!. If you want to do this, then I suggest you number the points A01, A02, A03, etc. for Route A. Then B01, B02, etc. for Route B.
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Old 12-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #15

Downloading GPS Routes

Quote:
Here are some links that may help with MapSource, but you may have to be a forum member to see the first two.
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=3303.0

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=265

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/usefu..._Tutorial1.pdf
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles