Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Hog Meat?

or was that Hog Meet? Thought about going on my first real ride with another rider. My friend with the decked out touring Harley asked me if I wanted to ride with him to the rally in Shreveport, La Saturday morning.. It's about a 4 hour ride. I said I would love to. I asked if it was just for Harleys and he said there would be all kinds of bikes there.. That would kinda get me some practice for Eureka Springs in May. Then today at the dealership I told the same girl who didn't like my pegs that I might go the the rally Saturday and she said I would probably get some strange looks. She has a Harley. I told her I drove on the Natchez Trace last weekend and many Harley riders waved at me and she said they probably thought I was riding a Harley. Those of y'all from Louisiana or anyone with some input, what do ya think? Will I get sacrificed by the Harley crowd or was my friend right about many other kinds of bikes being there? I'm not scared of anybody, just want to make it back home in one piece. Sure sounds like a lot of fun, though, just driving over to Shreveport.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #2

Hog Meat?

If your friend rides an HD; tells you there will be other bikes; and asks you to come along... then go. You'll likely see more HD's than anything else; but you will see other brands; and types including some crotch-rockets.

Don't worry... You should have a great time.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #3

Hog Meat?

I have ridden with harley riders for years on a 1984 Honda 750 magna, a 1998 Vulcan 1500 Classic and starting last year a 2008 Nomad. To ralleys, to dealership openings and runs.
There are usually jokes about me riding a fine tuned sewing machine which I follow up with my at least I dont have to carry a tool kit or my stops are for gas not to tighten up things before they fall off... but honestly I have never had a problem ever.

The girl was propably a harley groupie ... they do exist, you can tell because they react like dogs that hear a siren, they hear a harley screaming eagle go by and their ears perk up and tails begin to wag, their teeth fold back and they drool.....

You will probably get compliments on your Nomad too... I do

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
1946 George Orwell

Old 03-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #4

Hog Meat?

I ride mostly with friends that have Harleys and it's never been a problem where ever we go.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Hog Meat?

I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but on HOG Chapter runs around here, non-HD's have to ride at the back.

Nobody is going to mess with you because you don't ride a Harley. They may make "rice" jokes, but they are only jokes. A lot of HD guys are curious about other bikes and most know little about them. Hell, most of the Harley jockeys probably don't know much about their own bike.

When I tell a HD guy that I used to ride a Harley (early 70's Sportster) and they ask me why I don't have one now. I tell them I got tired of dragging around a magnet to pick up the parts that fall off.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #6

Hog Meat?

All the big runs around here start from the harley dealer. I always try to get their early enough to park my nomad right in front of the door or the snack shack that they set up. I like the jokes because people generally make fun of what they don't understand or are intimidated by.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #7

Hog Meat?

We have been to a couple of Harley sponsered charity poker runs and just don't go any more. We just got tired of be snubbed. If we didn't bring enough bikes for a group we where never invited to ride with any of the Harley people. No one ever came over and tried to make conversation or even joke about our Jap bikes. Around here if you get around 1 Harley rider it is OK. But if 2 or 3 are together they treat you like you are a leper. I hope it is better in your area.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #8

Hog Meat?

Around here the HD dealer is not too bad, the parts guys are helpful, and friendly enough even though they know I don't ride a Harley but am putting the HD fairing and Tour Pak on.

Riders, that is a mixed group, some good friends of mine ride HD and they are fine, even in groups, then there is the wanna be hard core guys that think they own the road on the HD and treat any other make and rider like crap. I stay clear of most HD organized events and my bike never sees the dealership, just don't need the attitude.

What was funny is on a trip with my father in law last year, he had his new HD 105th Aniv. Ultra (very nice bike I will say) along but I got more attention from people with my Nomad when we were stopped and on the ferry's in BC.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 03-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #9

Hog Meat?

I ride with a few Harley riders in the club I am in. No problems with them at all. Many Harley riders wave on the road and some don't. I am regularly invited to Bike Night at Mike Bruno's Bayou Country Harley dealership here in Houma, LA. I don't go but I don't go to Bike Night at the Kaw dealership where I purchased my Nomad either. Many Harley riders attend the Cycle World bike nights and regulary purchase cleaner, oil, and wax at the Kaw dealership. If I were you, I'd go and enjoy myself. If someone treats you badly your friend will probably want to leave with you. Don't worry, have fun Jamie.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 03-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #10

Hog Meat?

Most of the guys I ride with around my area have Harleys. I'm always included and treated as an equal. Many of them check my bike out and ask questions. I'm not sure if its because they are a decent bunch of guys or because I have a machine shop? I went to our local rally last yr and things were a bit different. There was inclusion but definately arogance and snubby towards non Harleys. I won't return!..I do look forward to a cruiser rally without the heavy Harley dominance and the attitude. Usually I ride by myself..do what I want to do..go where I want to and when I want to....Bdog

Old 03-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #11
Mega-Contributor

Hog Meat?

Last year during AZ Bike Week, I went on a charity run sponsored by a huge HD dealer. 13,000 bikes participated in it. When we got to the dealership to check in and enjoy the complimentary breakfast burritos, there must have been 2500 bikes in the parking lot. 99.9% were HD, I did see a few Goldwings and even another Nomad. As I was riding through the parking lot, I heard a couple of comments. I just consider the source and move on. You have to expect some crap from the jealous owners of inferior machines. ::)
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #12

Hog Meat?

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Are bikes are made in Nebraska, so that makes them American Made. Ask a Harley guy where his carbs are made and his ignition. Like CJ said you might want to take along a magnet for their parts and extra tools for their repairs. Like the rest said, most of them talk thru their ass because their mouth knows better. I always like to comment also that I can buy two Nomads for every one Harley they buy. Go and have a good time.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #13

Hog Meat?

First thing I would do is tell the girl with the attitude to piss off.
Then if there was another dealer in the area I would go there. I would let the owner of the shop you are now going to know why I left also.
Go with your buddt to the meet. The worst thing to happen is you may get some remarks but the best thing may be you will have a good time.
Al, I thought all Nomads were made in Japan. Some place that starts witha K but can't rememmber the name.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-18-2009, 12:39 AM   #14

Hog Meat?

I know that "I" would be going on a 4-hour ride and would enjoy myself at the rally regardless of what other bikes were there, and then enjoy another 4 hours home. But that's just me.
And if like me, you bought your Nomad to ride, you wont worry about what narrow minded, no-valid-reason-to-be-condescending people think about you or your bike.

" No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"
---Eleanor Roosevelt.

Eleanor would have ridden a Nomad. . . .

Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Hog Meat?

whenever i get asked why i didnt get a harley, i always tell em, because i like the oil on the inside of my engines. that normally shuts them up. most of the people who will give you a hard time are only the wannabe bad boy bikers and dont deserve the time of day. anyone that is REALLY into riding knows, ITS NOT WHAT YOU RIDE ITS WHY YOU RIDE. i ride with a mixed bag of cruisers (mostly harleys and triumphs) but all of the guys respect the nomad and always ask about it, however it does drive them nuts as it gets the most intrest when we are pulled up.