Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Car tire AND WWW at the same time.

Now those who want a car tire on the back and a wide white wall can have it all!

Maybe some of you have seen this video- I got quite a kick out of it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Yup, as long as you only want a white wall on one side of your car tire!

Or you could take two car tires and cut them in two right down the center line of the tread and glue the two pieces with the white walls together. Voila! A two sided white wall car tire! Better have some real good glue!

Now when I was a kid, (a rather long time ago) we had two options to make white walls when you couldn't afford the extra cost of a white wall tire.

1. White wall tire paint. Sold in some auto parts stores. You actually painted the side of the tire white with this stuff. It lasted about two weeks and you had to do it again. If you tried to just wash it clean the dang stuff would come off.

2. Actual rubber white walls that you could install on the tire. You would break the outer bead on the tire and slip this circular piece of rubber over the rim. Pump the tire up again and the bead of the tire would hold the white wall in place between the tire and the rim. These were better than the paint because they were actual rubber and could be cleaned many times before they would discolor. The downside? If you were running Joe Blow's 57 Chevy out on the highway and got up over 100 mph the suckers would rip right off from the centrifugal force. That would make one heck of a noise as they slapped the side of your car!

Yeah, I actually tried both in my younger mis-guided days!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 06-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Advanced Member

:) :)

I had no idea they made such things!

I think somebody posted here awhile back about a place that specializes in wide white walls for old hots rods, etc., that claimed they would make a double-sided wide white wall tire- haven't actually verified that.

I just know if I tried doing what that guy did I'd have a ruined sidewall in pretty short order!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Yeah, that was back in the late '50s. White wall tires cost a good bit more than black walls back then.

I've seen that too about the tires for old hot rods. Some of the real old classics had white walls on both sides. Those things are pretty expensive and they come in the old car sizes. I don't know if they will make them in something we could actually use.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006

Old 06-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

That WWW got to me, I was wunderin' what a CT had to do with the WILD WOODLAND WEEDS, and then i said no this is about chicks! Now I like the ladies, but then it would have to mean WILD WILD WIMIN"S

And then imagine my dissapointmet to find it is wide white wall tires. Once a tech mounted some tires for a car white side out and I made him swap it back like it said on the work order!

Bob you are one old geezer ainch yee?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #6

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC

Luv that akcent macmac

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 06-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Bob you are one old geezer ainch yee?
I would say, "Well seasoned."

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006

Old 06-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #8

Thats a novel idea, but I think it would look pretty rough when finished, perhaps mounting the tire on a wheel balancer machine would give a staighter edge and smoother finish. Im not sure Id even try that myself but I would try the glue on whitewalls if I could find them.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket

Or you could take two car tires and cut them in two right down the center line of the tread and glue the two pieces with the white walls together. Voila! A two sided white wall car tire! Better have some real good glue!

Now when I was a kid, (a rather long time ago) we had two options to make white walls when you couldn't afford the extra cost of a white wall tire.

1. White wall tire paint. Sold in some auto parts stores. You actually painted the side of the tire white with this stuff. It lasted about two weeks and you had to do it again. If you tried to just wash it clean the dang stuff would come off.

2. Actual rubber white walls that you could install on the tire. You would break the outer bead on the tire and slip this circular piece of rubber over the rim. Pump the tire up again and the bead of the tire would hold the white wall in place between the tire and the rim. These were better than the paint because they were actual rubber and could be cleaned many times before they would discolor. The downside? If you were running Joe Blow's 57 Chevy out on the highway and got up over 100 mph the suckers would rip right off from the centrifugal force. That would make one heck of a noise as they slapped the side of your car!

Bob, weren't the rubber whitewalls called; Port-a-Walls?

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Yes, that's right. Of course now Mac is going to think you're an old geezer too!

Here's some on Ebay for 15" wheels. $69.99. Wow, they have gotten expensive!

Click Here

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006

Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #11

Im going to check and see if they come in a 16" size.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by billz410
Now those who want a car tire on the back and a wide white wall can have it all!

Maybe some of you have seen this video- I got quite a kick out of it.

Here's another place who says they can double white wall any tire that tire rack.com sells for about $100 extra plus cost of tire. [ http://www.widewhitewalltires.com/ ] Here's that other place Bob mentioned [ http://www.portawalls.com/16x3poset.html ]
2003 Bandit 1200
CMA GateKeepers, Southern Cruisers#034, Patriot Guard Rider

Old 06-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #13
Advanced Member

I was just going to mention that website. I think they sell a radial wide white wall in the same size that blowndodge has on the back of his bike. I imagine they could whitewall both sides of anything they sell, too.

I guess for the miles I ride, the m/c tire works OK. I'd like to have wide white walls and I've kind of gotten the car tire bug now, too.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

You ol' geezers gonna git some of them Port-a-Walls to go with the Port-a-Pots that fit in the saddle bags for those, uh, certain occashuns?

William Clark of Lewis and Clark said a well eddyukated man could spiel any givin words 15 different waz.. Thisn' heya Chil does his ol' best.

itsemt, You otter come swap lies around my camp fire sometime.. If you think I am bad here, with other 'skinners' I get right off the wall and so do all of them.. I can write up stuff no one here would bother to decipher. In camp I have a bad reputation which I intend to keep.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #15
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket

Bob, as I recall - step #2 looked pretty snazzy if you had baby moon hubcaps.

There was a guy on another forum who couldn't find WWW tires, so he bought blackwalls and some of that paint. It looked good for a couple of days, then he had "brownwalls". I could have told him he was wasting his time and money...
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17