Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 08-31-2010, 08:25 PM   #1

tail of the dragon

Not sure if any on is interested but there will be a group of riders in the rockmart ga area going up OCT 2. I will be going it willbe my first time. I have been wanting to go just scared to go by my self. If any one is interested just let me know i will get you more info. PS its a free ride just a bunch of good folks watching out for each other on the way up and back.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-31-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
tail of the dragon

Not sure if I will be able to make it over. Would enjoy going over with you guys. How many will be making the ride? It will be weather dependent for me. Maybe it will be a beautiful fall day and I can ride over and join you. It will also be my first time for the Dragon. Keep us posted so we don't forget.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 09-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #3

tail of the dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Not sure if I will be able to make it over. Would enjoy going over with you guys. How many will be making the ride? It will be weather dependent for me. Maybe it will be a beautiful fall day and I can ride over and join you. It will also be my first time for the Dragon. Keep us posted so we don't forget.
not sure how many are going yet. will keep posted

Old 09-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #4

tail of the dragon

If you are going you owe it to yourself to go though the skyway to get there. i have been to the gap probly 200 times and it is a nice ride but for me nothing compares to the skyway. I can send directions tomorow if you would like ? sorry but i will be in panama at thunder beach or i would show yall the way first hand.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Advanced Member

tail of the dragon

Yea I don't think there is anything to be scared of the dragon as long as you ride it to your ability.

CHEROHALA SKYWAY now that one has a few scary curves in it. You get used to the nice sweepers and then the radius on a few curves changes, half way thru the curve it suddenly gets sharper.

Remember the bike goes where you look (so don't be lookin at the edge of the road in those curves) look where you want to go.
VBA #00077

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-07-2010, 06:44 AM   #6

tail of the dragon

Scoot is right, the dragon is easy if you don't push to hard. After riding to the start of the dragon my sister on her HD wasn't sure she wanted to run the Dragon (She isn't as experienced on curves as her husband or I). But after running it, she thought the run up to it was harder than the actual dragon. That may be because we gave her a couple of hints on running curves and because she expected a difficult time and was more prepared mentally. The one thing we all agreed on about riding around the Tenn./NC area was that you can't relax - ever. The minute you get used to the nice curves, as Scoot says, you will find yourself in a tighter than usual curve.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #7

tail of the dragon

Just got back from riding the Dragon. It was not as stressful as I thought for being the first time I rode it. I took it nice and easy, by the end of it I was really enjoying myself. So don't worry, just enjoy. I also went on the Cherohale Skyway. That road caused me more trouble than the Dragon. The Skyway lulls you into a rhythm of riding because of its beauty. Then you come up on a curve sharper than you think. Just stay focus on the ride and you will not have any trouble. :)

Old 09-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
Advanced Member

tail of the dragon

Did the Cherohala Skyway without any problems. Haven't done the Dragon yet so these comments are reassuring. Ride my own speed and enjoy the ride. Thanks.

Mike Bryant "CarolinaKid"

2007 Candy Red/Titanium Nomad
VBA # 1203
AMA # 1088875
VROC # 30589
Patriot Guard

Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #9

tail of the dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Just got back from riding the Dragon. It was not as stressful as I thought for being the first time I rode it. I took it nice and easy, by the end of it I was really enjoying myself. So don't worry, just enjoy. I also went on the Cherohale Skyway. That road caused me more trouble than the Dragon. The Skyway lulls you into a rhythm of riding because of its beauty. Then you come up on a curve sharper than you think. Just stay focus on the ride and you will not have any trouble. :)
My sister and brother-in-law and I just finished a couple days riding the Dragon and the Cherohale skyway. Your post is right on the money. My sister doesn't have the experience riding the twisties that I and her husband do and was extremely nervous about running the roads. But after a little guidance from her husband and I she enjoyed it. In fact her comment was exactly the same as yours. The Dragon at your own pace is easy. The Cherohale Skywas was more trouble because you relax into the ride and gentle curves then find yourself in trouble on a switchback you didn't expect. We also found another interesting thing about riding around that area. You look at a map and subconsciously think that twenty miles is 25 minutes or so. Then as you ride for an hour you start wondering what is wrong. It really plays games with you until you realize that twenty miles takes a lot longer when your averaging 25 miles an hour.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #10

tail of the dragon

not going to be able to make it to panama this time... so myself and a few others i ride with are up to it , if thats ok ? been riding with this group for 5 years now and there all safe and experienced rider's.... let me know where to meet and the time..

Old 09-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Advanced Member

tail of the dragon

Tenn. Police are on patrol in 'The Dragon'.
If you stay within the speed limit it's a safe fun ride.
The worry is the kid coming from the opposite direction at 3 time the speed limit.

Keep posting updates to your plans.

Mike

Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #12

tail of the dragon

sounds like we could just do a kawanow members ride? I f you guys wana just let me know, or we can run with the other group doesnt matter to as long as i have some one with me in case i break down haha.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
tail of the dragon

How about a run in mid-October? I might be able to make it over. Weekend or weekday doesn't matter to me.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 09-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #14

tail of the dragon

Ive already planned on Oct 2. Taking off work that day. so i gotta stick with the second

Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #15

tail of the dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud man
not going to be able to make it to panama this time... so myself and a few others i ride with are up to it , if thats ok ? been riding with this group for 5 years now and there all safe and experienced rider's.... let me know where to meet and the time..
All right Bud Man you are designated as our tour guide. Im close to cartersville or Rome so I think that since you are showing us the way we should met as close to you as possible. Lets met @ 9am OCT 2nd, you name the location. All kawanow members that wana ride come on. Lets make this as big as possible. Ive got three bikes on this end going so lets do this!!!!!