Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 PM   #1

The Now Official Sequoia/Kings Canyon rally thread

(I edited this to change the title slightly....Cadd.)

TomK and I have been bashing about the idea of a fall ride to Sequoia National Monument & King's Canyon Nat. Park (it's all the same place actually.) It's the hottest time of year to ride through the San Joaquin, so the plan was to wait until the weather cooled off a bit, and the reports show not too much smoke up that way from the wildfires to the north and west.

Valdez has spotted us a quaint motel outside the park in Squaw Valley that looks like it could handle a small crowd of KawaNOWer's
I'm thinking a Friday ride in, overnight at the motel, ride the parks the next day with maybe lunch at the Wuchsachi Lodge and maybe a loop down through Three Rivers and back up Highway 245, overnight at the same motel, and ride out Sunday AM.

The ride loop would be almost 207 miles and about 5 3/4 hours actual riding time. If that sounds like a long time to go 207 miles, most of the route is quite twisty.

Here's the approx. route:

Alternately, we could forgo 245 and just double back through the park like this, which is 216 miles and about 6 1/2 hours saddle time, or perhaps an hour less if we don't go all the way down toward Three Rivers.

Alternate routes and shorter or longer rides are certainly possible. Going by Hume Lake would be a nice detour too, and shave some miles off, though be even twistier. Here's an alternate that goes by Hume but then only goes to Moro Rock, and avoids the twistiest and most challenging switchbacks. Only 170 miles an 4 1/2 hours:

Also, TomK mentioned camping in the park, which is possible if we can get reservations early enough (probably like right away) for a group campsite. They're much less expensive than staying at a motel, but of course it'll be primitive unless you're into hauling TONS of gear on your bike, and we'd be sleeping on the ground.

So this is what I've got so far guys. Comments? Commitments? Curses?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 PM   #2

This was the motel Valdez mentioned:

Squaw Valley Motel
http://tinyurl.com/6yowcp
30894 E Kings Canyon Rd., Squaw Valley, CA 93675,
(559)-332-2382

Old 07-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

I've been to Sequoia many times and I'm up for it !!!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #4

Well think about campaigning for camping or a motel, because at some point we're probably going to vote.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #5

Some images from the Giant Sequoias & King's Canyon, just to whet the appetite:

Many, many more here:
http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...mannq/Sequoia/

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #6

Man, that's beautful! Really whetting!

Rethinking my enthusiasm for the bike camping, I'm in favor of the motel. Like my wife reminded me, we "camp" in a fifth wheel with all the goodies. I haven't slept on the ground in ten years and gave it up for a trailer with AC, fridge and a heater!

If we can put this out for two to three months, I can commit to going.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #7

July and August are definately too hot IMO. I'm looking at late September most likely, however some stuff may be closed by then (like the restaurant in Lodgepole) so I'll need to look into the park's schedule.

Meanwhile, here's some more photos, just in case you haven't seen enough big rocks. Almost all of these photos are mine, but a couple I swiped off another forum (Pashnit) I hope nobody minds.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #8

OK, we got Me, BD, and Tom on board so far. Nico? Redeye? Valdez? Hooligans? Anybody else?

Old 07-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #9

BTW, this is the 100th anniversary of the Sequoia National Forest:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/

Old 07-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
OK, we got Me, BD, and Tom on board so far. Nico? Redeye? Valdez? Hooligans? Anybody else?

Sir Nico the Magnificent LOVES this idea!! I'm ready to ride with the crew!!!

Great job Cadd!!

Old 07-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #11

Thank you Sir Nico the Magnificent!

That's 4 plus my wife, so 5 people so far.

I'm checking out the live web cam & there are some fires in the Sequoias, but hopefully they'll be out well before the ride.

Pray for rain folks! I've hired the medicine man William Three Coons to do the Rain Dance, but he says his feet hurt right now from being on the War Path all week.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #12

Do we get to buy a shirt? That's important you know.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #13

I'd like to go if the ride is any time except September 26th through October 5th (former commitment). That whole area is beautiful country and I would enjoy seeing it again, as it's been several years since I was there.

This old body definitely votes for nice, soft motel beds over cold, rocky ground!

Old 07-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk
You can buy any shirt you like. ;)

As this is strictly an Un-Official rally, I hadn't hought about Official Rally Shirts though.

Wm. Three Coons opted to go shirtless as you can see from the photo, but for men a shirt is clearly optional. For the wives, shirts of some sort WILL BE MANDATORY until the second case of beer. At that point all bets are off, and a few shirts may be as well.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk
You can buy any shirt you like. ;)

As this is strictly an Un-Official rally, I hadn't hought about Official Rally Shirts though.

Wm. Three Coons opted to go shirtless as you can see from the photo, but for men a shirt is clearly optional. For the wives, shirts of some sort WILL BE MANDATORY until the second case of beer. At that point all bets are off, and a few shirts may be as well.
Interesting. I knew there was something to that pic of you hiding your face with the ladies to either side of you!