Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Clear tail/turn lenses...legal or no?

There seem to be a number of opinions on the internet about whether clear taillight and turn signal lenses are legal or not.

Some say the lense itself must be of an amber or red color (depending on whether front or rear), while other sources say a clear lense is acceptable, if the housing has an amber or red colored reflector inside it.

Some of the newer cars have clear OEM taillights/turn signals- the back of a newer Nissan Altima is one that comes to mind. The front turn signals on a newer Honda Civic are clear, but have an amber reflector built into the housing. (When I say 'reflector', I don't mean bicycle or license plate type reflector, I mean the housing behind the lense and bulb that reflects light outwards.)

Has anybody had issues with law enforcement when implementing aftermarket clear lenses?

I've been looking for a clear (something along the lines of what Clear Alternatives offers) tail light lense for an '08 Nomad, but haven't had much luck. I don't want to do an LED conversion, just a plain old red bulb will work for me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #2

Hi Bill,
I think the official answer would be no. Try googling Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108, which is the official vehicle lighting standard. See excerpt below specifically on clear taillight lenses.

Have no idea how it is treated by law enforcement however. Sounds like a stock Honda Civic doesn't conform either, but I don't think a lot of them are getting pulled over for illegal tail lights.
Tom

All clear taillamps with "DOT" mark.
civic_clear_tails.jpg (19587 bytes) Are they compliant with FMVSS No. 108? Are they legal for sale in the United States?

The answer to both questions is NO. (see interp)

But why aren't they compliant with FMVSS No. 108?

- S5.8.1 requires replacement lighting equipment to designed to conform to this standard.

- S5.1.1 specifies the minimum required lighting equipment for each motor vehicle and the equipment must conform to the applicable SAE standards.

- The Honda Civic pictured above has the following functions incorporated into the OEM taillamps, which were required for the original certification of the motor vehicle.

Side Marker (Red, per SAE J592e)

Side reflex reflector (Red, per SAE J594f)

Taillamp (Red, per SAE J585e)

Stoplamp (Red, per SAE J586)

Rear reflex reflector (Red, per SAE J594f)

Backup lamp (White, per SAE J593c)

Turn signal (Red or amber, per SAE J588)

- The most obvious noncompliance of the "clear tail" shown installed on the Honda Civic above is the lack of red reflex reflectors on the rear and side.

- In addition, the stoplamp and taillamp are lacking a red lens to create the red color required by S5.1.5.

- There are probably more violations as well, however, only one violation is required to demonstrate a noncompliance with the standard.

- Please note: These taillamps appear to be noncompliant with FMVSS No. 108 despite the "DOT" marking. Therefore the manufacturer has falsely certified these lamps.

What about red bulbs, will they satisfy the requirements for the red color in taillamps and stoplamps?

Manufacturers are required to certify motor vehicle lighting equipment using bulbs which meet SAE specifications. Since there is currently no SAE specification for a red bulb, a red bulb could not be used to show conformance with SAE standards. Therefore, no taillamp with an all clear lens could possibly comply with the red color requirements specified in S5.1.5 of the standard.
red_taillamp_bulbs.jpg (117742 bytes)

Furthermore, the NHTSA knows of no manufacturer who is producing a red bulb that is intended to make signal lamps with colorless lenses comply with FMVSS No. 108.

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Old 07-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Advanced Member

WOW! I guess that answers that question. :)

Thanks for the info, tomm. I know some stuff doesn't necassarily get enforced real heavily- still nice to know what is right and what isn't.

I know from my trucking experience, a lot of guys will put amber or blue lenses in the lights on the back of their sleepers, and end up getting a ticket for it at the weigh station. They will generally allow white, though, because the lamp in that particular application can be considered a 'work-lamp', or a backup lamp. Pink, blue, orange, red w/ blue dot, DOT doesn't seem to like. (On semi trucks.) And since most of us on here aren't truck drivers, who cares???

Old 07-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Top Contributor

lens can be clear IF the bulbs is either the red or amber depending on which one your talking about. Thats what Ive heard.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #5

I run clear lenses front and rear, with amber bulbs up front and red in the rear. I checked with a buddy at the state patrol prior to the conversion, and he said that was fine in his opinion. He said what they crack down on if they really want to give someone a hard time are the smoked ones, or the blue centers that give off the purple glow.
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Top Contributor

+1 jasperboy, thats my take!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperboy
I run clear lenses front and rear, with amber bulbs up front and red in the rear. I checked with a buddy at the state patrol prior to the conversion, and he said that was fine in his opinion. He said what they crack down on if they really want to give someone a hard time are the smoked ones, or the blue centers that give off the purple glow.
I have that on mine (taillights) so far no trouble
VBA #00077

Old 07-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #8

+2 with jasperboy, have clear lenses on front and back, amber bulbs in front and red LEDs in the rear. The guy I purchased the bike from even had a clear main tail light lens, but put the red back on because he said it was too hard to see in the daylight.

Dennis "Master Mac" McHenry
VROC#880, VBA#673, DarkSide#273
'15 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
'05 Vulcan 1600 Nomad (Left the nest)
'02 Vulcan 1500 Classic Fi (RIP)
'95 Vulcan 750, (Retired)
Houston/Klien, Tx

Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #9

Maybe we are different here in Canada. I had a 2006 Yamaha V-star before buying my Nomad. The V-star came with clear lens turn signals with amber bulbs front and back.
All the Yamaha cruisers here come with clear turn signals and some come with a clear brake / tail light lens.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
Maybe we are different here in Canada. I had a 2006 Yamaha V-star before buying my Nomad. The V-star came with clear lens turn signals with amber bulbs front and back.
All the Yamaha cruisers here come with clear turn signals and some come with a clear brake / tail light lens.
Amber bulbs in the back are fine as long as they are turn signals only. If they are running lights / turn signals they have to be red.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 07-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #11

Strobe,
I guess pardon, the pun I was not clear enough.
The Brake / tail light are of course clear lens with red bulb (s).

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
Strobe,
I guess pardon, the pun I was not clear enough.
The Brake / tail light are of course clear lens with red bulb (s).
Sorry, I assumed that actually, I guess neither of us was "clear".

I was referring to the signal lights....if they are currently or if you turn them into running lights as well then they need to be red. our laws on running / signal lights are basically identical to the US ones.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
You crazy wacky Canucks. :)

Old 07-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhomoney
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
You crazy wacky Canucks. :)
Yea we are even crazier here in Quebec.
We're going to try switching all the cars and trucks to driving on the left hand side, and if it works we'll switch the motorcycles the following week.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136