Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #1

Considering a GPS

Hi All,
I have a friend who works for Garmin and can get me a Zumo 550 for an incredible price. It's a NIB unit, not refurbed. I am considering it, but even at the employee price, it's a bit higher than other units not specifically for motorcycles. I have heard others referring to the Nuvi and Streetpilot and others.

My question is, is it really worth the extra $ to get the Zumo, or would one of the less expensive models still stand up to mounting on a bike. What I don't want to do is buy a less expensive one now and have it's lifespan shortened by using it in a way it's not meant to handle.

Thanks,
SuperDuty

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Considering a GPS

I have a less expensive model 330c, but if It was an expensive model I wouldn't be using it on the bike. If and when I buy another it will be a unit made for a bike. I hope I helped you.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #3

Considering a GPS

My partner has the Nuvi and it works great when we're flying to other cities and using it in the rental car. Seems kind of fragile though, so I bought the Zumo 550. Water resistant, built to take the shock of the road and it comes with the RAM mount plus the car mount. I put a 4 gig SD card in mine and loaded it with tunes, so it doubles as my mp3 player. No doubt, they are alot more coin. I think they retail for over $900 but if you shop you shouldn't have to pay more than around $600. I bought mine from Amazon because they had the best price at the time. I love mine!

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 06-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Considering a GPS

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 last year. I have a Ram Mount that is mounted in the center of the handle bars. So far I have had no problem with the Nuvi, it has a MP3 player and has performed flawlessly.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #5

Considering a GPS

I use the Tom Tom one, and for a meer 140.00 bucks it has work great now for over 7,000 miles. NOT water proof! But what I did was put in a zip loc bag and ran the wire through the bottom corner of the bag wrapped with a twistie tie. Worked great for a whole day ride in the rain.
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #6

Considering a GPS

GARMIN is a GREAT choice, I have the 2720... what you want is WATER PROOF or at least water resistant,,or as stated a Baggy keeps the rain off. BUT for a Tighter fit a UN LUBED CONDOM Stretches to fit and wont BLOW off. LOL.. SERIOUS, SHOCK resistance is a PLUS for Bikes..... RAM Mounts hold up well.....

Old 06-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #7

Considering a GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radco
GARMIN is a GREAT choice, I have the 2720... what you want is WATER PROOF or at least water resistant,,or as stated a Baggy keeps the rain off. BUT for a Tighter fit a UN LUBED CONDOM Stretches to fit and wont BLOW off. LOL.. SERIOUS, SHOCK resistance is a PLUS for Bikes..... RAM Mounts hold up well.....
This might explain why your nuts rusted?

Old 06-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Considering a GPS

I bought the Magellan Crossover 2500T. Good prod. Handles the rough roads no prob., water resistant, plays MP3's, photos, works for marine as well. So you can use it on a boat as well. It is also good for "geo caching" if you're into that. $300.ish tax's in off of eBay.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 06-08-2008, 05:27 AM   #9

Considering a GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdez (lone Juan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radco
This might explain why your nuts rusted?
YOU know you may be onto something MUST use Lube to fight off rusted nuts!!!;D

Old 06-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #10

Considering a GPS

I have used a Garmin Nuvi 660 for 2 years on two different bikes with no problems. I like the bigger 4.3 inch screen on the Nuvi, but, you can't enter waypoints into the Nuvi to make it change its chosen route to the way you want to go. Therefore, I just recently bought a Garmin Zumo 450. It does accept waypoints to alter the route.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #11

Considering a GPS

I have the Garmin Quest. It has a smaller screen but it is water tight. With the Ram mount, I have had no problems with its use. I mainly use it to keep track of miles rode and keep me in the speed limit. It has some limits but for $150 off Ebay, it does what I need.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #12

Considering a GPS

GO with the Zumo 550. I've had mine since Christmas and I love it. I also use it at work with the car mount that comes with it.

I enjoy the mp3, cell phone, and helmet communications that the 550 offers. My wife and I use the Scala Rider Team Headsets and it works great with the 550. I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS.

I have a friend who has the 450 and it is a great brother to the 550 as a navigation gps. However, he truly wishes he would have spent the extra bucks and got the 550 because we could communicate bike to bike using the cell phones.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #13

Considering a GPS

I have the Garmin 330. It was less than $100 and I mount it between the handlebar and the windshield. It talks to you for turns, etc. It isn't waterproof but I don't ride in the rain much anyway. The sun doesn't seem to be much of a problem for the most part. If you run down a different road than directed, the Garmin will recalculate. The price isn't too bad for what you get. And I get to where I want to go. I can also just turn the map on and see the streets coming up. I've been using it for about a year in vehicles and also on the Nomad. I pack it along when I'm traveling and throw it in the rental car. cool beans. Consider it before you blow your retirement nest egg on something more expensive that doesn't do much better.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:13 AM   #14

Considering a GPS

I've had two. First was a Megellan Roadmate 360. Fine unit, worked very well. Gave it to my wife to keep in the Subaru.

Recently purchased a Nextar P3. After the rebate it's about $90. Had to bet a Universal holder from Ram. It works just fine.

Yes, a unit designed for motorcycles would be nice. But, I can do a lot with the extra 2 to 4 hundred bucks.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:42 AM   #15

Considering a GPS

My question is, is it really worth the extra $ to get the Zumo

Yes. If you can get a good deal on one, do it. I love my 550.