Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-23-2009, 04:55 AM   #1

Does anyone else use HID spotlights.

I havent read anything in these forums about anyone else using HID spotlights.

Due to the horrendous cost of aftermarket and genuine accessories over here (I was up for around AU$500+ and a 7 month wait) for a genuine lightbar, and the very real probability of animal strike at night I decided to look at modifying a pair of spotlights that looked reasonable on the front of the Nomad, and would take the bulbs. The low current draw, and high light output were also big pluses for my decision.

In the end, while larger than "normal spotlights" I am more than pleased with the results. At 35 watts each, the lights put out roughly the equivelent of 400 watts of lights each. More than enough to stop any approaching vehicles from leaving their lights on high beam. And also enough light to see kangaroos, and other wildlife on the road, for anything up to about 3/4 of a kilometre in front of me.

So, does anyone else run HIDs on their Nomads?

Cheers
Bundy

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Not me, running 35W H3's. Was it much trouble wiring up the HID? From the output, it seems that you would have to wear suntan lotion when you walked in front of the bike with those lights on!

Pictures would be nice!

Old 06-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #3

Not a huge problem wiring them up. The conversion kits come complete with everything needed. The ballasts were too big to fit inside the spotlight shells themselves, so they are fitted behind the chrome headlight surround. Only issue I have is the looks of the wiring, with 4 wires going to the spotlight, its a bit unsightly.

My Nomad from front on, with the HIDs

And a couple of pics taken with the HIDs on

I am currently converting a pair of Cibie Super Oscars on my new Nissan Patrol, with a second set of spotlights to be converted soon afterwards.

Cheers
Bundy

Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Advanced Member

They don't look that much larger than mine, just sit slightly higher. So you get much more light using less power. I like that idea. As to the four wires going to the lights, perhaps you could get some colored wire loom to cover the wires (I think it comes in chrome, know it does in black). The most important thing is to see and be seen. If extra lights make humans (and other animals) more aware of you, all the better. I use a headlight modulator on my high beam to assist people to see me during the day and my fog lights (with my lens, they are definitely not spot lights) to assist my eyes and those that I don't want to come in contact with.

Looks like you did a good job. Nice bike, but with your lights, I'll need several sets of sunglasses.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Im not personally into HID lights but good luck.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-26-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
Im not personally into HID lights but good luck.
Too kinky for you, Doc?

Old 06-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Top Contributor

:-)

Old 06-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #8

I just recieved the conversion kit for the Cibie Super Oscars, so I will take a few pics as I do the job, so you can see what I am on about.