Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-21-2015, 11:03 PM   #1

V&H header pipe breakage

Well, at the 45,000 km mark my rear header pipe finally gave way. I knew something was up when last week she started popping on decel out of the left hand pipe. At first I thought it may be that I hadn't cleaned the throttle body for a while, so after doing that and a full service ( getting ready for the rally in July ) it only got worse. At least it happened in my home town and not out on the road. So, I'll attempt to repair it, but I may order a replacement just to be on the safe side if the repair doesn't pan out.

What I can tell you is that it had nothing to do with alignment or improper torque procedures because I had taken my time whenever I had the exhaust off and on over the years. Yes, there is a design problem from V&H, however, I still like them and this really is a minor fix.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-21-2015, 11:26 PM   #2

Get it welded.

Mine broke about 6 years ago. I had it welded at a muffler shop, and it's still going strong.

I've had my pipes off at least a dozen times since.

MT
VBA 936

Old 06-22-2015, 02:04 AM   #3

I did the same thing as Mas. It broke, I removed it and took it to a muffler shop who welded it up for $25. It's still going strong that way.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 06-22-2015, 05:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post

Well, at the 45,000 km mark my rear header pipe finally gave way. I knew something was up when last week she started popping on decel out of the left hand pipe. At first I thought it may be that I hadn't cleaned the throttle body for a while, so after doing that and a full service ( getting ready for the rally in July ) it only got worse. At least it happened in my home town and not out on the road. So, I'll attempt to repair it, but I may order a replacement just to be on the safe side if the repair doesn't pan out.

What I can tell you is that it had nothing to do with alignment or improper torque procedures because I had taken my time whenever I had the exhaust off and on over the years. Yes, there is a design problem from V&H, however, I still like them and this really is a minor fix.
What kind of VN was this?

Old 06-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #5

Getting it repaired because V&H has none in stock so they have to make one with a 4-6 weeks delivery date. They still say that these breaks are rare........... :(

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:

I don't think it's a "design problem". It looks like a heat cycle related failure. Fairly common in single wall exhaust tubing. Repeated hot/cold cycles on certain types of steel alloys can cause the metal to become brittle. Vibrations from the bike can cause it to finally crack.

Did you ever take temperature measurements to see if the bike is running too hot/lean on that cylinder? A cheap IR temp sensor could tell you.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Getting it repaired because V&H has none in stock so they have to make one with a 4-6 weeks delivery date. They still say that these breaks are rare........... :(
I would agree with VH...it's fairly rare for the pipe to crack. But what people don't realize is that it happens on all manufacturers like VH, Supertrapp, FMF, etc. I've had it happen several times on motorcross bikes.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Don't just get the crack welded, have them weld a patch over it. Much stronger.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #9

my welder has a few options for me; one, being to reinforce the bend after the cracks are taken care of. two, the straight section that runs under the frame, cut a piece out and replace with a section of stainless, flex exhaust and secured with band clamps. The idea to allow for vibration flexing and lessen the stress on the bend by the head. We'll see how the repair goes first on the cracks................ stay tuned........

Old 06-29-2015, 02:49 PM   #10

Update: Welding unsuccessful, kept chasing the cracks. Patching over as well would have caused the heat shield to no longer fit. Sooooo, I ordered a new set of Cobra billet tips which should be here in a few days prior to taking off for the rally......Last thing I wanted to have to do but not many other options. I have the Ultimate Baffles in my old set which I'll put up for sale in the proper section if anyone is interested.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Update: Welding unsuccessful, kept chasing the cracks. Patching over as well would have caused the heat shield to no longer fit. Sooooo, I ordered a new set of Cobra billet tips which should be here in a few days prior to taking off for the rally......Last thing I wanted to have to do but not many other options. I have the Ultimate Baffles in my old set which I'll put up for sale in the proper section if anyone is interested.
Cut and replace the section of pipe. Why patch or weld the cracks when you can cut a section of the damaged pipe out and have them splice in a new section. TIG weld it, grind smooth, and you're good to go.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernomad View Post
Cut and replace the section of pipe. Why patch or weld the cracks when you can cut a section of the damaged pipe out and have them splice in a new section. TIG weld it, grind smooth, and you're good to go.
I have to agree there, any muffler shop with a good pipe bender should be able to copy the bend and weld a section in.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #13

By the time you pay their hourly rate plus material, you could just order a new pipe.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 06-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #14

Hey Kevin, I might take those ultimate baffles off your hands. Could you bring them with you to the rally? I'll see you in Salmon Arm if not somewhere along the way.
Andy
VBA member #02543

Old 06-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I did the same thing as Mas. It broke, I removed it and took it to a muffler shop who welded it up for $25. It's still going strong that way.
Not quite. I welded my own What was that 2 years ago now ? I think so maybe 3.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it