Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Irate new clutch = new problem please help

clutch,bucking, t by saying this is a pretty awesome site and this is my first post . This is only my second season riding but I have rd a lot of atvs and dirt bikes so I'm fairly confident I'm not beating on the clutch .I acquired my 2001 vn 1500 g3 with only 9000 miles on It from my father who purchased this beauty when he found out he was going to pass away from cancer, so needless to say this bike is very important to me . Last riding season about 500 miles in ( probably my third ride or so I noticed the clutch starting to slip but I managed to get thru the season with it . I put about 7000 miles on it .so this year I had a friend of mine who is a Harley mechanic do some work on it . We replaced the intake with a kyraken skull air cleaner kit re jetted the Carb put on v.h. duel baggers new tires battery and finally the clutch the inner disk were pretty worn out with no groves left I mentioned what i have read on this site about the sprig plate to him he said it seems fine so he only replaced the disk. The bike ran great for the first week and now all of the sudden something is wrong I went to take off yesterday morning and the bike threw me like I was sitting on a bucking bull to the point I felt like it threw my back out it did it every time I would take off so I parked the bike today I tried to see if it would help starting in second so I could get the bike back to him but I couldn't even put it in second unless I was rolling down a hill and it didn't help now no matter how easy or hard I am with the clutch the bike throws its self forward and stalls re hard less of how much gas I give it . Any help would be greatly appreciated . Oh and one more thing I'm only getting 94 miles on a full tank since I had the work done . That can't be normal is it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
I've replaced my clutch spring and haven't had any issues. It sounds like the clutch isn't engaging at all.
So you changed the clutch spring ? Did you stay with the stock spring or go to the "Meanstreak" one or the barnett one? Not that, that would be the issue necessarily.
By the sounds of things you're not going to ride it anywhere. I would get it on a truck and either take it home to work on it, to your friends place, or a shop.
My first thing would be to get it home and take the cover off and have a look-see. Hard to say without some description or knowing if the spring broke/cracked/installed back to front... I wish I had some other suggestion.

Oh .... be ready for a poke of fun at the fact you let your Harley friend work on your bike. Does your bike leak oil now??
welcome to VBA BTW. Hang in there someone will be along soon with better suggestions than what I can give you.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Last edited by rickyboy; 04-22-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #3

Thanks rick! I was told the spring plate was fine and he only replaced the friction disk . He said he will be by today to pick it up and bring it to his garage but he is a Harley tech and I know the v/n is a completely different breed so I'm just trying to see if there is something I could tell him about the clutch that he may not know

Old 04-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #4

Haha just read the oil leak part lol now that u mention it the can plugs are leaking a bit more lol

Old 04-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #5

I will guarantee you that all you needed was a spring.

Your HD buddy (good on him for trying) screwed up.

Pull the cover off then pull on the clutch lever and look to see if the clutch is engaging.

I'll lay odds that it isn't. A couple of things could've happened, One or more of the limiter springs are out of place or deformed, the clutch nut didn't recieve the correct torque and is now loose.

Did he put the last disk in correctly? It is in the shallower grooves.

First, install the friction plates, fitting their tangs in the
deeper grooves [A], and finally the outermost friction plate
[B] in the shallower grooves [C].

There are other possibilities.

MT
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by MAS Tequila; 04-22-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Have you been to Gadget's site yet? Read this article while you wait for your buddy.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/clutch_spring_replacement.htm

If you happen to change the spring ...And I would for what it costs. Never gave the torque on the nut being an issue. But if you have nothing to go on when you're doing the job, how'd you know. But I'd go with the Barnett. It's a lot stronger and takes some getting use to but really not a big deal. This shouldn't be a major undertaking though.
Good luck ... I'm sure others will be jumping in to help. But MT made some good suggestions. Now get to reading.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Last edited by rickyboy; 04-22-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #7

Thanks tequila and rick wish I had the means to do it my self but I'm not much of a mechanic but I can build one hell of a house lol . Hope it is just the plate so I can tell him I told you so haha

Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjay1978 View Post
Thanks tequila and rick wish I had the means to do it my self but I'm not much of a mechanic but I can build one hell of a house lol . Hope it is just the plate so I can tell him I told you so haha
Print out that gadget post on the clutch plate change over. then you can tell him what and how to do it. But be careful or you'll be doing it yourself.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #9

Haha sounds good he is on his way now do I need to use judges washers with the Barrett plate and do u happen to know the part # for it

Old 04-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #10

Part number is listed in the Tech section.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #11

Sounds like when he put the clutch discs in he forgot to put the outer most disc with the tangs in the short slots. How's it feel when you pull the lever?

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #12

He just picked it up . Come to find out he didn't do the work on it he has a tech who works on all the kawi's that come into the shop . This time I started it up to show him when he got here and when I pulled the clutch in a god awful sound was coming out of the transfer case it sounded like banging and grinding and it stopped as soon as I let go of the clutch anyways its back in the garage keepingmy fingers crossed its nothing to bad I will find out this afternoonThankyou for everyone's help

Old 04-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Advanced Member

a couple things your harley friend might have done wrong, the last (outside) disc plate has its own slot for that disk plate only, also when torquing up the clutch spring nut those 3 limiter springs might have dropped out of place, you're suppose to put lots of grease on them to keep them in place as you replace the clutch spring and nut, from all the posts on clutch work I have seen I think having to replace disk and friction plates is rare, with only 9,000 miles on the bike I doubt those plates are worn, something tells me that the clutch re-install is the problem, let him read gadgets web page on clutch spring replacement to get familiar with how it's done, other potential problem could be clutch fluid, has that ever been changed? if not junk could be in the master cylinder, or air bubbles in the fluid, how about the clutch slave cylinder inside the left side cover? some have had the push rod seal pop off and engine oil leaking under the kickstand, you notice any oil leaks there? you said building a house is not a problem but when I started riding in 2002 i knew nothing about bikes or mechanics and with some encouragement from others and new tools i began to learn by doing, do you think you would like to learn how to do a clutch repair job yourself? It;s not really that difficult, you will need tools and a rented electric impact wrench and the desire to learn.

Edit: I can't spell rare, also just read your last post, do you really want to have them repair your bike? Why not decide to try repairing it yourself, you will need a dose of desire to get in there and learn, a bike manual, and if you need help just post the question here and get much help.

Last edited by degreaser; 04-22-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #14

Thank you degreaser I will mention all of the above to him I would love to learn ore about working on my bike the biggest problem is I live in a condo complex with nowhere to work on it bad enough the all ready complain about it being to loud . But Loud pipes save lives

Old 04-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
Advanced Member

I guess since you're in a condo with no garage that your harley friend is the best option on the clutch repair job, see if you can print off gadgets page on clutch spring replacement or give him the web link and give it to the mechanic, it might help, its worth a try, tell him to put lots of grease on all sides of those 3 limiter washers to stick them together so that they don't slip out of place on reinstall of the nut

Tags
bucking, clutch