Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #1

handgrip replacement.

just bought a nice set of universal handgrips and am wondering what's the best way to pull the old stock grips off...
also, does the throttle housing have to be pulled appart or does the new grip just slide on .

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #2

handgrip replacement.

Depending on how well they are glued on you may have to cut the old ones off. If you can peel back the edge a bit I sometimes try to spray a bit of WD40 or something similar to help slide them off. You don't have to remove the throttle to remove the grip.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #3

handgrip replacement.

I slid a small flathead screwdriver underneath mine and just worked it around and around until I could pull off the grip

Old 04-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #4

handgrip replacement.

Just replaced my grips with Kuryakyn ISO grips and throttle boss. There is an excellent article on Gadget's Fixit Page about how to change your grips and the link can be found on the KawaNOW Nomad Links section.

The end caps for both grips unscrew with a REVERSE thread and are put on pretty hard so wrapping the caps in tape and gently using water pumps can be very helpful. Be sure to turn them the opposite way than you think is correct or you will actually be tightening them. I wrapped my caps in tape so as not to mark them up because the left over end caps make perfect chrome covers for the engine mount bolts.

For the left grip you have to either work the rubber grip off with a screwdriver or if you have no desire to keep it just slice it off with a box cutter or other knife. The rest of the grip just slides right off after the rubber is removed. Use a little sandpaper or emory cloth to remove the old glue residue and rough up the surface for the new glue to adhere to.

For the right hand grip you need only remove the end cap then split the switch case by removing the three screws because the switch case is what holds the entire assembly in place. Once you remove the cable ends the whole grip assembly slides off. Reassembling is a good time to readjust your throttle cable tension and take out any slack that may have developed. The right grip just slides into place (along with an internal spacer that has to be cut to the proper length in the case of Kuryakyn) and the switch case gets reassembled around it. Be sure there is no binding and that the throttle moves freely or you may have to readjust things a little.

The new left grip has to be glued in place (Kuryakyn provides the cement with their grips) but be absolutely sure that you have the fit just right and the placement predetermined before putting the cement on the handle bar and sliding the grip into place. The cement dries almost instantly once deprived of air so you have to slide the new grip on in one continuous motion without stopping or it may end up glued in a position that you did not intend or at worst only partway on. Try this a couple of times as a dry run before you put the glue on and using a couple of index marks can be very helpful so that you are sure where you want to end up!!

This project is really very easy once you know how to do it and is not at all intimidating. Again, check out Gadgets Fixit page for a complete description.

Good luck!

Doug

Old 04-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #5

handgrip replacement.

Just replaced my grips with Kuryakyn ISO grips and throttle boss. There is an excellent article on Gadget's Fixit Page about how to change your grips and the link can be found on the KawaNOW Nomad Links section.

The end caps for both grips unscrew with a REVERSE thread and are put on pretty hard so wrapping the caps in tape and gently using water pumps can be very helpful. Be sure to turn them the opposite way than you think is correct or you will actually be tightening them. I wrapped my caps in tape so as not to mark them up because the left over end caps make perfect chrome covers for the engine mount bolts.

For the left grip you have to either work the rubber grip off with a screwdriver or if you have no desire to keep it just slice it off with a box cutter or other knife. The rest of the grip just slides right off after the rubber is removed. Use a little sandpaper or emory cloth to remove the old glue residue and rough up the surface for the new glue to adhere to.

For the right hand grip you need only remove the end cap then split the switch case by removing the three screws because the switch case is what holds the entire assembly in place. Once you remove the cable ends the whole grip assembly slides off. Reassembling is a good time to readjust your throttle cable tension and take out any slack that may have developed. The right grip just slides into place (along with an internal spacer that has to be cut to the proper length in the case of Kuryakyn) and the switch case gets reassembled around it. Be sure there is no binding and that the throttle moves freely or you may have to readjust things a little.

The new left grip has to be glued in place (Kuryakyn provides the cement with their grips) but be absolutely sure that you have the fit just right and the placement predetermined before putting the cement on the handle bar and sliding the grip into place. The cement dries almost instantly once deprived of air so you have to slide the new grip on in one continuous motion without stopping or it may end up glued in a position that you did not intend or at worst only partway on. Try this a couple of times as a dry run before you put the glue on and using a couple of index marks can be very helpful so that you are sure where you want to end up!!

This project is really very easy once you know how to do it and is not at all intimidating. Again, check out Gadgets Fixit page for a complete description.

Good luck!

Doug

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #6

handgrip replacement.

Good luck!

Doug

Old 04-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Advanced Member

handgrip replacement.

didnt use the glue for mine. i use hairspray, never had them slip, and can still be removed without destroying them.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
Advanced Member

handgrip replacement.

didnt use the glue for mine. i use hairspray, never had them slip, and can still be removed without destroying them.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Advanced Member

handgrip replacement.