Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Another rider down (Update)

As I was driving to work this morning, I heard the air traffic guy on the radio advising people to steer clear of a certain intersection due to a motorcycle wreck. I was going that direction and had to detour.

Chandler crash: Motorcyclist killed in collision with car

By Yihyun Jeong The Arizona Republic- 12 News Breaking News Team Tue Mar 5, 2013 7:23 AM

A man on a motorcycle has died after slamming into a car near Germann and Cooper roads Tuesday morning.
A silver Ford was heading east on Germann Road and the black motorcycle was traveling north on Cooper. One of the vehicles ran a red light, Joseph Favazzo, spokesman for Chandler police said.
The male motorcyclists and his bike struck the passenger side of the car, Favazzo said. It appeared the rider laid the bike down prior to impact.
The motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene and the female driver of the car was not injured. She didn’t have a license.
Police are continuing to investigate the crash. The intersection remains partially open.

What puzzles me about this is there really isn't any NB traffic through that intersection. Cooper Rd dead ends just south of the intersection. There's a National Guard facility and behind it is Chandler Airport.

At any rate, it's very unfortunate.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by cactusjack; 03-13-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Really unfortunate. I'm always sorry to hear of a MC accident with a lost life.
It would be interesting to know the details when they are released.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #3

I would assume the person with no licence ran a light. Probably while on a cell phone.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #4

The driver of the car did not have a license, but that does not mean she ran the light or was talking on the phone. Sometimes the motorcycle rider is at fault. I'm also sorry to hear about the loss of life.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

The story has been updated. This makes more sense...

A man on a motorcycle died after colliding with a car in Chandler at about 5:45 a.m. Tuesday morning.
A witness told officers the driver of the car turned left in front of the motorcyclist on a flashing turn arrow at Germann and Cooper roads, Chandler police said.

The car, a silver Ford, was heading south on Cooper Road and the black motorcycle was traveling north on Cooper. The driver of the Ford made a left turn and the motorcyclist collided with the car, according to the witness.

The man and his bike struck the passenger side of the car, Joseph Favazzo, spokesman for the Chandler Police said. It appeared the rider laid the bike down prior to impact.
The motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene and the female driver of the car was not injured. She did not have a license.
Police are continuing to investigate and are asking for other witnesses to come forward and assist with the investigation. The intersection remains partially open.

A flashing turn light is something new in these parts. It allows a driver to turn left AFTER YIELDING TO ONCOMING TRAFFIC. In my opinion, the driver of the Ford was at fault and will probably be cited for failure to yield, not manslaughter or negligent homicide because she only killed a guy on a motorcycle.

Sorry, these stories tend to pi$$ me off.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post

A flashing turn light is something new in these parts. It allows a driver to turn left AFTER YIELDING TO ONCOMING TRAFFIC. In my opinion, the driver of the Ford was at fault and will probably be cited for failure to yield, not manslaughter or negligent homicide because she only killed a guy on a motorcycle.

The flashing (yellow) turn signal started here about a year ago. Although a public education program was rolled out I still see many people just roll through these flashing yellow lights as if they were green.

Don't get me wrong, I like the flashing yellow. It beats sitting there with no oncoming traffic. However, as I stated above allot of people don't understand what a flashing yellow light means other than hurry up the light is changing to red.

I think the problem is mostly a language barrier followed closely by stupidity.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #7

In Delaware, we have a lot of flashing red arrows for left turns. Recently, they have changed some of them to steady red and you have to wait for a green arrow to turn left. That driver should not have been on the road. I sincerely hope she gets the book thrown at her.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Here is another accident I was notified of today. Constable tuns in front of MC, rider dead and no charges.

http://bikerspost.com/forums/topic/5...s-after-causin
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
Here is another accident I was notified of today. Constable tuns in front of MC, rider dead and no charges.

http://bikerspost.com/forums/topic/5...s-after-causin
That is just not right.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #10

No its not.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
The story has been updated. This makes more sense...

A man on a motorcycle died after colliding with a car in Chandler at about 5:45 a.m. Tuesday morning.
A witness told officers the driver of the car turned left in front of the motorcyclist on a flashing turn arrow at Germann and Cooper roads, Chandler police said.

The car, a silver Ford, was heading south on Cooper Road and the black motorcycle was traveling north on Cooper. The driver of the Ford made a left turn and the motorcyclist collided with the car, according to the witness.

The man and his bike struck the passenger side of the car, Joseph Favazzo, spokesman for the Chandler Police said. It appeared the rider laid the bike down prior to impact.
The motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene and the female driver of the car was not injured. She did not have a license.
Police are continuing to investigate and are asking for other witnesses to come forward and assist with the investigation. The intersection remains partially open.

no one lays a bike down, they lose control. Just saying.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 03-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
no one lays a bike down, they lose control. Just saying.
Well if you do lay a bike down you give up control.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Well if you do lay a bike down you give up control.
They already lost or gave up control as opposed to having done it on purpose as some life saving stunt or feat, which some people have claimed. It's disingenuous and if it is done on purpose, ineffectual and stupid. The last thing I want is to be eye level with tires and 4000 lb battering rams.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 03-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #14

This just in..... I keep looking for an update because it seems so strange to just suddenly lose control. No other factors or vehicles involved...no witnesses. Maybe medical../??
By Alabama News Network

Story Created: Mar 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM CDT
Story Updated: Mar 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM CDT

A man died Saturday night in Montgomery when he lost control of his motorcycle. The crash happened shortly after 10:00 p.m.

Police say a 60-year old black male was traveling west bound on Bibb Street, when his bike crashed in the Commerce Street intersection.
The man was taken to Jackson Hospital, but died of his injuries. Police are trying to figure out what caused him to lose control of his bike.
This is Montgomery's fourth traffic fatality of the year.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 03-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
This just in..... I keep looking for an update because it seems so strange to just suddenly lose control. No other factors or vehicles involved...no witnesses. Maybe medical../??
No witnesses, who to say a vehicle didn't cut him off, but didn't get hit so it kept going? It was at an intersection, so certainly possible.

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!