Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #1

Starter button

Ok got a question i got a 02 1500 fi i have seen that if the bike wont turn over with a new hot battery it could be the switch button dirty that you can take apart the starter button and clean it to make good contact just seening if im reading the right info any input would be helpful thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #2

Without much info, first place that I would check is the main fuse located behind the right side cover above the coolant tank. Second, check the starter relay (also next to 30 amp main fuse). Third, check the rest of the fuses under the seat. Good luck.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 03-16-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
Advanced Member

I've never had my starter button apart before but would assume there would be an easier way to test before taking that step - like jumpering across terminals to see if the starter engaged. Electrical problems confuse me. As soon as relays enter the picture my brain checks out.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #4

It is fairly simple to clean the start button contacts. Split the switch housing and remove the throttle, Then you can get to the start button. Be real careful when taking it apart and pay attention to how everything is assembled. The spring is cone shaped and has to go back in the same way it was.
When My bike wouldn't start due to dirty contacts in the start button, I could press the button and hear a click or buzz down toward the injectors. You could press the button, and while holding the button in, rock the thumb side to side, and it would make enough contact to engage the starter. I used a very fine nail file of my wife's to clean my contacts.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-16-2015, 10:48 PM   #5

I agree with Bud2Rat and Vulcan E. I just replaced my Starter Relay and it fixed my problem (I caused it in the first place). Anyway, it should be easy to use a meter and check all the fuses, don't go by visual check. Also there is a check you can preform on the starter relay in the manual using a meter. The starter switch shouldn't be too bad to check out just follow Vulcan's advice about the parts.
KawaNow #01849

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #6

Most times when the bike won't turn over, its one of the safety switches, either the kickstand switch that gets dirty and corroded, or the handlebar clutch switch that comes unplugged sometimes, or the neutral switch. Thats what I'd first look at.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951