Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to cndfireman
tour pack

Hey guys hope the weather is nice and you are all enjoying the riding!! I am looking to purchase a tour pack for the back of the nomad and i found several diff. types on ebay. The one that has caught my eye is the tour pack by "DMY" with the wrap around back rest and the large top rack seems like a descent item just would like some feedback from members that have either purchased this item or a different one and for what reasons. Would hate to spend 200$ and have it sit in the garage because it doesn't look good or is not functional! The previous owner did that same thing and he gave me his tour pack but don't like the looks of it. It is a "givi" any input would be much appreciated!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-31-2009, 09:50 PM   #2

tour pack

Im not familiar with the tour pack your talking about, but I have a HD tour pak on mine and I love it. Its big and solid and has all the things you need in a box. There is also a lot of accessories available for them as well. If I was to get one, Id choose the ones made for an Ultra Classic because they have the brakelights and sidemarker lights built into them already.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #3

tour pack

The DMY is from Matuza. They are okay, but you get what you pay for. They are small and a bit flimsy IMHO compared to the other options out there, but for the price, they are a decent deal.

A high quality setup will cost a lot more. I have a similar HD trunk to Ring, just a newer model with side marker lights that wrap around a bit and a rear spoiler with running / brake lights and the DMY will fit inside the Harley Tour Pak. To properly mount the DMY as well you should have a proper mount for it, like the Wompus rack, the chrome luggage racks are not built for the load that a trunk can carry. Scootworks makes a HD clone trunk that is quite nice as well.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 07-31-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

tour pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndfireman
Hey guys hope the weather is nice and you are all enjoying the riding!! I am looking to purchase a tour pack for the back of the nomad and i found several diff. types on ebay. The one that has caught my eye is the tour pack by "DMY" with the wrap around back rest and the large top rack seems like a descent item just would like some feedback from members that have either purchased this item or a different one and for what reasons. Would hate to spend 200$ and have it sit in the garage because it doesn't look good or is not functional! The previous owner did that same thing and he gave me his tour pack but don't like the looks of it. It is a "givi" any input would be much appreciated!
What you are describing is the DMY tourpak made by Mutazu. I had one on my bike until recently. I replaced it with a Scootworks Supertrunk III because I wanted more room. For what you pay for the Mutazu, it's okay. Not great, but okay.

Here's a picture of the Mutazu on my Nomad:

I didn't buy the wraparound backrest because I do very little two-up riding, and I did buy the luggage rack but never mounted it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #5

tour pack

Like Ring, I would suggest the Harley type, mine is the "Ultra Classic" king tour pak. It has the tail lights (which I re-wired to be brake-turn-running lights). If your going to do a lot of 2-up riding, I'd suggest a strong trunk. The options are -- Harley, Premeux, Scootworks super trunk III, or the different models of the Yamaha Venture trunks. The HD trunks do have the most aftermarket accessory options, and the most room. But on the other hand, the Venture trunk "lines" match the Nomad's "lines" better.

My bike when I had the '89 Venture trunk on it..........

And my sig. photos are with the '02 Ultra trunk.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #6

tour pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE
Like Ring, I would suggest the Harley type, mine is the "Ultra Classic" king tour pak. It has the tail lights (which I re-wired to be brake-turn-running lights). If your going to do a lot of 2-up riding, I'd suggest a strong trunk. The options are -- Harley, Premeux, Scootworks super trunk III, or the different models of the Yamaha Venture trunks. The HD trunks do have the most aftermarket accessory options, and the most room. But on the other hand, the Venture trunk "lines" match the Nomad's "lines" better.

I notice your HD trunk matches the bike paint. I was wondering if you had to have it custom painted, or if there was an HD paint scheme that came stock as a close match? I also have a blue/silver. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #7

tour pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creed
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE

I notice your HD trunk matches the bike paint. I was wondering if you had to have it custom painted, or if there was an HD paint scheme that came stock as a close match? I also have a blue/silver. Thanks.
It is an exact color match, But I did paint it myself with the paint I had left over from when I bought the paint, to paint the Venture trunk. I carried one of my saddlebags into a local automotive paint shop, and he matched the colors from it. He told me that it would take 3-4 months before the paint would cure, until then the colors would be a little off, and he was right. He also told me not to wax it until the paint had fully cured. Before the paint fully cured, the blue was a little darker, and the silver was a little lighter than the stock bike colors, but now, they are exactly the same.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 08-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #8

tour pack

I have one on my bike now. It's a decent trunk for the money and my wife seems to like the wraparound backrest. But I wouldn't recommend the top chrome rack. It looks ok from a distance,but close up you'll notice the workmanship and finish isn't very good.