Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-11-2007, 09:19 AM   #1

More Lightbar Questions

One of my winter projects is to mount a lightbar on my Nomad. I had plans to purchase the Cobra lightbar, but Kawasaki now has one available for the Nomad. Of course it's more money. The Cobra bar mounts in the same location as the turn signal bar, but the Kawi one mounts on top of the lowers bracket. I'm not too fond of this. I usually pull the lowers off to clean, but to do this I would have to pull the lightbar also. Anyone have any experience with either one? Any comments and suggestions, especially on the Kawi one are welcome. I am strongly leaning toward the Cobra.

JohnR

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #2

More Lightbar Questions

My question to anyone who has the cobra lightbar is: how easy is the instalation and are there instructions? I can't imagine the actual install being difficult but I don't want them hard wired in with a switch on the light bar or something - I want them to always come on and go off when my head light goes on and off. This is where instuctions would be nice. Other aftermarket items I have bought in the past have horrible instructions if any at all.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
Advanced Member

More Lightbar Questions

I have the Cobra bar. The install was pretty simple, the instructions have you wire it to the signal running lights. That's what I did. It does have the switch on the bar, but I just leave it on all the time. If you want while working on the bike, you can turn the lights off with this switch.
Also, when I bought the bar, I was told the signals mounted under the lights (like Harleys). When I got the bar, they mount on the ends. At first I didn't like the look, but I grew accustomed to it. It kind of keeps the original lines of the stock signal light bar.

Only complaint, when the 25 watt bulbs go, they are a little hard to find. I haven't tried using 35 watt bulbs yet.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 11-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #4

More Lightbar Questions

I have the Cobra bar. Installed it on a separate circuit per Gadgets page. http://www.gadgetjq.com/wiredrivinglights.htm
It is a great looking bar and well made. I like the signal lights on the end of the bar and not hanging down as on a Harley.
It is wired so I can turn off the bar lights with a switch that comes already mounted to the bar. Only problem is the 25 watt bulbs as jayc aka The Mexican said. If I want I could put in 35 watt and just up the fuse wattage as it is on its own separate circuit. I wired mine to be on all the time. High and low beams, I want to be seen.
wolfman, If you wire from the above link you can have it both ways. I can turn mine off with bar switch or leave switch on and lights will come on and remain on when bike is running and go off when bike is turned off.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Top Contributor

More Lightbar Questions

I also went Cobra about 6 mo ago. Good directions as other have said. Has rocker switch on the bar to cut them on/off. They come on when key turned on. Can run spots with the low or high beam. Buy you some spare 25 w filaments you will need them about $8 each. the bar attaches to the track that the windshield bolts too so very sturdy. Good chrome, I love it! Hope this helps

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #6

More Lightbar Questions

Thanks everyone. I'll probably look into it more this winter when I'm snowed in, bored and can't ride.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #7

More Lightbar Questions

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I'll probably look into it more this winter when I'm snowed in, bored and can't ride.
Thanks from me also. Looks like it's going to be the Cobra. Wolfman, I feel your pain. Winter is approaching quickly. :-/

JohnR

Old 11-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Advanced Member

More Lightbar Questions

Keep an eye on ebay. That's where I got mine.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #9

More Lightbar Questions

http://store.valueaccessories.net/in...OD&ProdID=1582

This is the light bar I have......easy install. Just be sure to buy sealed beam lights.........the "single contact" replacement bulbs that were used in the past having a short life, expensive, and a pain to replace. It cost me $50 to replace the "single contact" with sealed beam bulbs. You can replace them for alot less if you can locate the "GE 4411 Tractor 12V" sealed beam bulbs........sometimes used in riding lawn mowers and small tractors........about $5.

The lights do not come on until the engine is actually running, thus minimizing the battery load during starting.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #10

More Lightbar Questions

RamMan I have the same lights that you have. Mine are sealed beam never had a problem with them. Sliced in to the low beam wires in the headlight bucket, works great but I have been thinking of putting in a switch to turn on and off. I dont know if its worth the extra work or not. Any Suggestions Pro or Con? It looks like the price has gone up a bit I paid $169.00 or $149.00 in the spring for mine and that was through my dealer.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #11

More Lightbar Questions

They now install sealed beams in the light bucket, but when I purchased them they were still using the 'crap ones'. After many complaints from Kaw owners, they changed to the sealed beams.

If you want the lights "switchable" you just have to run the hot wire running to the lights through a switch before it goes to the lights. Here's good info on switch selection:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/accessory_switches.htm

Old 11-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #12

More Lightbar Questions

I went for the billet brackets that just bolt to the windscreen brackets no need to worry about the turn signals just bolt straight on and a lot cheeper than a complete bar,and a lot better looking bought them through Value accessorries.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #13

More Lightbar Questions

I have the Cobra light bar on mine. Installation is easy enough.
Using the hot lead in the headlight makes it easier. I didn't like
the switch and after I got a fairing it was almost impossible to get
to so I moved it to the handlebar with a switch I got from Valueaccessories.com I also went to 35 watt bulbs from Kuryakyn and have had no problems with them. Couldn't find 25 watt H-3's anywhere; even Cobra didn't have them. Here's a good shot of the Cobra.
Ride safe,
Dano

Old 11-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #14

More Lightbar Questions

Thanks for all the input and posting pictures. It really helped to see what options are available.

JohnR