Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 10-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #1

Maybe the last ride this year...

I was invited to tag-along with a group of riders that gof99 (John - here locally in the Rockford, IL area where I live) put together with a bunch of his co-workers (about 10 bikes).

We started out at 9am in 45 degree weather (a bit chilled)

We traveled to White Pines State Park near Oregon, IL (along the Rock River) for brunch/breakfast (great breakfast and location)

We headed on to to Savanna, IL to Poopy's Bar (great place to stop off and have a refreshment -- mine was hot-chocolate -- a huge biker stop-off point -- all types of bikes are welcome)

Next we headed to another Savanna establishment -- the Iron Horse Social Club (Not really a social-club -- but rather a bar with three classic/antique bar-backs of intricately carved wood from yester-year. Iron Horse also has an incredible motorcycle museum in the establishment -- which is a must-see if you are in the area).

Next stop; Palisades State Park along the Mississippi River. We made it to the look-out, which is another "must-see" if you are in the area. Great views -- however the fall colors were not what everyone was hoping for this year -- but still a fabulous view.)

Final stop; Galena, IL -- just up the road a bit from Savanna where the hills and vistas are unlike any other in the entire state of Illinois (again -- a must see if you are anywhere close to the area).

In total; we rode "bundled-up-for-the-cold" for around 10-hours on the trip -- most of the time in frigid weather.

All-in-all; this was a great ride and unfortunately likely the last "long-ride" of the season for me. I am almost sure I won't see many more miles this year on the Nomad.

The seasons in Northern Illinois are just not that long any more for me.

I have to thank John (KawaNOW NCR member gofs99) for thinking of me and inviting me and my wife along!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #2

Sounds like your group had a good time..........not many riding days left this season, get em in while ya can :)

Old 10-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #3

I know what you mean; my miles on the Nomad are very limited this time of year. The weather is getting colder, plus the days are getting so damn short! The sun isn't up until about 8:30 a.m., and it gets dark around 7 p.m. By the time I get home from school and have supper, there isn't much daylight left. Once we turn the clocks back in a couple of weeks the days will really be short!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #4

I am ashamed to post this but I put mine in the shed Saturday. I have so many things going on right now that I have to plan WAY ahead to get things done. So to make room in the garage so I can make the improvements to my trailer over the winter I put her away.

Naturally Sunday was the most beautiful day of the entire month too. I wanted so badly to get the Nomad back out and ride but I had to go out of town for my niece's b-day. :(

Old 10-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to scion0

Went out for a bit on Sunday...

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Unless there's ice or it's below 25, I try to get out at least a couple times a month in the winter. I don't like heat, but there has to be better places to live and ride.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 10-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #7

Greg, don't forget about the new years eve ride at midnight James was talking about . And as you seen, he is a bit nuts.

I am still braving it and riding to work, son has the car for college. I have been enjoying the 'no car payment' but I am afraid payments are in my very near future.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #8

Snow suits guys... snow suits!... that's all you can do after a certain temp!!

John... hang in there... you can likely make it to work for several more weeks before it gets too cold to ride daily to work. Also, I didn't hear anything about the New Year's Eve ride. I don't know about that. Have you done it? I don't drink a lot any more on New Year's Eve; and given Ponch's post about riding in the winter -- I just may be willing to give it a try. Be sure to let me know.

Ponch... no offense... but you are just not right!! However, I have an acquaintance from Madison, Wisconsin that rides all year also -- and let me tell you... it gets cold in Wisconsin in February.
I just can't hardly stand the deep-chill that winters around here provide. For the last two years I have seen multiple-week periods where my car's "outside temp gauge" registered -20 degrees. At that temp a small leak of air around the dashboard feels like a knife -- can't even remotely imagine it on a bike -- or maybe I can... death from frost-bite.

Op, from where you are, it gets colder earlier than here; thus the fact you just put your bike away is like me waiting for another two-weeks... and that beats me. I think I just had my last "real" ride for the year.

Greg

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #9

Yeah it has been raining for 2 days (non-stop) and is forecasted for 2 more. I am starting to think that I fell asleep and woke up in Seattle.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #10
Advanced Member

had snow showers here yesterday. in the 40's for highs this week. doin an oil change this weekend, then puttin my baby away.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to scion0

Starting to get cold here at night but no snow yet. Like Ponch, I try to get out for a few miles a few times each winter (but then I have an attached garage that the bike stays in).

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 10-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #12

Yeah i keep my bike in the attached garage also....so if it warms up in the winter i will get out and ride. If it's in the forty's i will ride.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #13

Unless the weather is completely unbearable; I am going to give it one more try this weekend -- all bundled-up if I have to.

We may only see a high of 50 up here in Northern Illinois this weekend; but I just have to try one more time no matter the temp.

Then... I am afraid I will have to arrive home early enough to clean and winterize the bikes.

Then... have a few bourbons.

Then see if I can start the snow-blower ahead of time so it will be un-summerized. Fix what needs to be fixed on it.

Then... have a few more bourbons.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 10-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #14

+1 on the bourbons ;)

Old 10-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
+1 on the bourbons ;)
What? Only one? ??? ???