Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 08-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Vendor rant

I need a replacement part for a Kuryakyn product, so I located the correct part number and googled it. Cruiser Customizing has it, so does Realhog, Goldwing Country and Dollarrider. Guess what they all have in common? They are all the same company, and all have an "MSRP" price of $41.95 and a "Sale" price of $36.25 and the sale ends today. If I looked it up tomorrow, the sale would end tomorrow. You get the picture. In my opinion, that's a shady sales trick and I'll be darned if I will do business with any outfit that tries to pressure people into buying under the pretense of a bogus sale that always ends on the current day. Where's the FTC when you need them?

End of rant.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #2

Vendor rant

I too have noticed this with CC and I agree that it is a shady business practice. A good company shouldn't have to lie to increase their sales.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #3

Vendor rant

What is the Kuryakyn part and # ?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #4

Vendor rant

on another note about CC.com I was ordering a pair of pipes and call to see if they would price compare they flat out said NO vs DK will price match any price so I ordered the pipes from DK

Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #5

Vendor rant

Why don't you call and ask them why they feel the need to be deceptive? I understand the need to have multiple names for the same internet company,it simply broadens your customer base,but I don't see the need for deceptive pricing or fake sales.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Vendor rant

Scott, C'mon... you think with all the fraud in the Internet that vendors haven't gotten in on it?

I'm betting a very large percentage of Vendors have multi-site links that masquerade as different sites but are the same.

The internet has brought out savage competative capitalism at a level unseen.... Of course tricks will be played. Even Amazon's links seem to redirec one back to the same company under a different banner. All part of business. I doubt it's illegal too.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #7

Vendor rant

If you conveniently get the part you want at a price you are willing to pay...then what's the big deal? Nobody is making you buy the part or buy from them just because they say it is a sale price. If you don't like their marketing practices, then vote with your feet and buy it somewhere else.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Vendor rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Scott, C'mon... you think with all the fraud in the Internet that vendors haven't gotten in on it?

I'm betting a very large percentage of Vendors have multi-site links that masquerade as different sites but are the same.

The internet has brought out savage competative capitalism at a level unseen.... Of course tricks will be played. Even Amazon's links seem to redirec one back to the same company under a different banner. All part of business. I doubt it's illegal too.
There are websites that place a "cookie" in your browser as an identifier, which in not necessarily a bad thing. This is how a website "remembers" you each time you visit. However, some vendors use that cookie against you. Here's what happened to me...

I had gone to an online vendor to purchase an item, for say...$50. I decided I wanted to buy another one, same part # and went back a few weeks later and it was $70. Someone else went to the website to order the identical part and their price was $50. I was given an inflated price because I had already bought one. I used a different PC and received the original $50 price.

There's lots of games that an online retailer can use to get you to pay more. People would be outraged if a brick and mortar store tried that, but since it's the Internet they feel they can get away with it?

I don't have a problem with multiple websites pointing to the same vendor (Jake Wilson and Rocky Mountain ATV are like that), I just don't care for their cheesy sales tactics.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #9

Vendor rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack

There are websites that place a "cookie" in your browser as an identifier
Set your system to delete cookies when you close your browser.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #10

Vendor rant

I have used CC many many times and actually now I look to them first for parts... Also I have met the owner of the company out riding one day by chance, nice guy from germany. I have never had any problems with them

Old 08-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Vendor rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank
If you conveniently get the part you want at a price you are willing to pay...then what's the big deal? Nobody is making you buy the part or buy from them just because they say it is a sale price. If you don't like their marketing practices, then vote with your feet and buy it somewhere else.
+++++

The cheapest isn't always the best, you have to look at the package and make your decision.

Nobody is twisting your arm or holding a gun at your head for you to buy!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #12

Vendor rant

I will not order from CC due to their shipping charges. They charge a flat percentage of the price reguardless of the actual cost.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #13

Vendor rant

I too have had issues with Cruisercustomizing. One item I ordered delivered to CDN arrived with COD charges. When I called they said it was customs that added the charges, well when customs does that they attached a customs invoice.
This was CC's way of collecting some addition shipping etc charges if I don't take the item and send it back I get beat on the exchange. I have had some good luck with Direct Line Parts, they price match but they have limited selection. I am learning, I have them deliver to my vacation place in Myrtle Beach free shipping in the US.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Vendor rant

It is really sad that the business world has gotten the way it has. I worked for a guy I went to school with and he and his brother owned three furniture stores and two hardware stores plus a couple of rental equipment companies. I worked at Ace Hardware for him and overheard him talking to the lady that worked in the furniture store. He was having a buy one get one free sale. He asked her if she had gotten everything marked up. So he would mark up prices and then have the buy one get one free sale. Although he didn't double the price he did raise the price to offset the getting one free. I like the guy but not his business practices.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 08-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #15

Vendor rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I need a replacement part for a Kuryakyn product, so I located the correct part number and googled it. Cruiser Customizing has it, so does Realhog, Goldwing Country and Dollarrider. Guess what they all have in common? They are all the same company, and all have an "MSRP" price of $41.95 and a "Sale" price of $36.25 and the sale ends today. If I looked it up tomorrow, the sale would end tomorrow. You get the picture. In my opinion, that's a shady sales trick and I'll be darned if I will do business with any outfit that tries to pressure people into buying under the pretense of a bogus sale that always ends on the current day. Where's the FTC when you need them?

End of rant.
What part# are you looking for, I will see what I can do for you.