Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Trashy smokers - a rant

I used to smoke. Because I started smoking in the army, I always field-stripped my cigarettes. I try not to litter.

Today, I was coming home from work on I-270. Because of the light traffic due to holidays, we were cruising at 70-75. I was comfortably behind a cage. Suddenly, the embers from a bouncing cigarette caught my attention. Then the butt hit me in the knee. I've watched lots of smokers throw their butts out the window. It's pi55ed me off that 1) they think the world is their ashtray 2) they don't care that a motorcyclist might have trouble if it happened to bounce wrong. I've never been hit before.

I'm not sure what happened after it hit my knee-- full-face helmets narrow the field of vision. I'm not even sure if it came from the car immediately in front or the one in front of it.

I'm not talking about all smokers. But if you throw butts out the window, I want to know ... Why do you do this? Cars have ashtrays. What prevents you from using it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #2

Trashy smokers - a rant

I know what you're saying Bob. My lot borders 540' of street on the South side and 155' of highway in the front. Once a week I walk both boundaries and pick up 2 - 4 dozen of cigarette butts off of my property. It seems like my yard is every inconsiderate smoker's ashtray. I've witnessed a sloppy pig empty his car ashtray in the parking lot of our local post office.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #3

Trashy smokers - a rant

About thirty years ago I was following a van on my bike and the guy tossed out his butt and it hit me right in the nose. A few seconds later he dumps the suds out of his beer and I got a shower of that as well, it just wasn't my day.
Its not good practice to toss your butts out, just look at intersections, they usually have hundreds of butts along the curb.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Trashy smokers - a rant

If I'm not mistaken, new vehicles do not come with lighters and ashtrays, they are now an option. You have to either order the vehicle with the ashtray or have one installed in the space where it should be. But it does make you wonder why a smoker wouldn't have and use the ashtray in the vehicle. I've always been concerned about getting hit in the face or worse having a lit butt go into my helmet like bugs do. I've had a hornet inside my helmet biting but a lit butt would be a whole other nightmare.

Good to know you only got hit in the knee and everything is ok.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #5

Trashy smokers - a rant

On my way south to Monroe, WA a Goldwing rider flicked his butt off at a stop sign and it landed on the hood of the car next to him. Do Goldwings have ashtrays? This is just for balance. I don't smoke.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Trashy smokers - a rant

Our '08 Impala does not have an ashtray or lighter. That is a thing of the past.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 12-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Trashy smokers - a rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Our '08 Impala does not have an ashtray or lighter. That is a thing of the past.
But it probably has 6 drink holders.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #8

Trashy smokers - a rant

It's not just the humaniods. One time coming home from Mexico in the desert of Nuevo Leon I was behind a slow moving truck with two heads of cattle. When I finally got to pass him, just as I got into the on coming lane that beast next to the center line where I had been tailgating let go with at least forty two pounds of manure. I ain't a religous man, but as I watched that manure fly past me i knew the good lord was on my side.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Trashy smokers - a rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgringo
It's not just the humaniods. One time coming home from Mexico in the desert of Nuevo Leon I was behind a slow moving truck with two heads of cattle. When I finally got to pass him, just as I got into the on coming lane that beast next to the center line where I had been tailgating let go with at least forty two pounds of manure. I ain't a religous man, but as I watched that manure fly past me i knew the good lord was on my side.
You mean Tood missed another opportunity to gargle with some mouthwash??!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Trashy smokers - a rant

I think only four drink holders Scott. I have never ridden in the back but I know it has two. I will have to check and make sure.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 12-30-2010, 02:09 AM   #11

Trashy smokers - a rant

My Honda Accord has 8. Suitable for sippy cups, water bottles, slurpys or, I guess, a water bottle holder ashtray. I have seen the latter in Target, real cheap. I guess if you have a habit you improvise. I am thinking a large bottle of Glenmorangie would fit in one too but that's pretty much illegal here if it's an open bottle. Why have it if you are not going to open it? Officer!

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #12

Trashy smokers - a rant

I don't smoke, but Kelli does. No ashtray in my truck but I do tell her and all my smoking friends that I was considerate enough to provide them with a "smoking section", and I'll gladly stop and let them climb into the bed of my truck.

I do have plenty of those drink holders, though. Our solution to the smoking issue is that Kelli smokes when we take breaks or stop to gas up the truck when we are traveling. She always keeps a quarter full bottle of water and puts her butts in there and seals up the top. Then, after a few butts go in the bottle, we throw it in the proper container and get another. Instant disposable ashtray.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #13

Trashy smokers - a rant

Many forest fires have been started by this act too.

We just carry an old water bottle in the vehicle with water in it for this very purpose. When we get to a stop just throw it out and start another one, no problem.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #14

Trashy smokers - a rant

It shows how things have changed over the years, from having ashtrays in every door to cup holders all over the place.
My truck has an ashtray in the dash and two in the back seat.
I really like the cigarette lighter and ports, I have three in the dash and have used them all for charging and running stuff.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #15
Mega-Contributor

Trashy smokers - a rant

In Utah a couple o years ago, a driver flicked a butt out of her window and hit a rider in the face. If I remember correctly, this lead to a road rage type incident and the rider ended up dead.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17