Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #1

Better gas mileage with Amsoil

I have a buddy who is an Amsoil dealer. He has bugged me several times to use his product in my Nomad. For years I've used Rotella T 15W40 in my bikes and was quite happy.

Before taking a 3,000 trip last month I gave in and put Amsoil in my bike. In the past, when riding 2 up I would average 38 - 40 miles to the gallon. However, with Amsoil we were averaging 45 -47 miles to the gallon. A few times we actually hit 50.

I couldn't believe it. I had to eat crow. My friend said I'd get better gas mileage and I didn't believe him.

Does anyone else get increased gas mileage by using other synthetic brands? I was thinking of switching to Rotella synthetic before I put in the Amsoil.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

I have always run synthetic other than when the bike was brand new and had Kawasaki oil in it. First oil change I also used the Kawasaki oil. Since then I used Amsoil for one oil change and the rest have been Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 full synthetic. I didn't notice any difference in my gas mileage with any particular oil. I have averaged 47 and 48 but that was on a trip to Texas with no short trip riding at all.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #3

I've never used Amsoil but have used dino for the first 3,000 miles, Mobil 1 full syn, and now Rotella T6 5w-40 full syn. My mileage is always 37 - 42 mpg depending on if I'm pulling the trailer or not and whether the trip is hilly or flat. Different oils haven't made any noticeable difference in my mileage. But again, I've never tried Amsoil.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 08-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

This is a first time I've heard of Amsoil helping a Nomad get 7 mpg's higher. Does anyone realize how much friction reduction has to occur for that to happen? I can't see how our wet clutches could hold up to that? ::)

Not doubting amsoil is probably a good product but if that type of mileage increase in a two cylinder, not very many moving parts motor, could be realistic can you imagine automotive V8's and V10's engines getting mileage like small V-6's with all that friction reduction!!??

the math doesn't seem to add up.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-25-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Advanced Member

I would guess that on a 3000 mile trip the majority of the riding is on hiways/freeways. Certain road conditions and driving habits can have an affect on mileage as well. A 20% increase in economy from changing oil seems a bit farfetched. But, if bernsax is willing to do a documented study on his next oil change and have some back up stats, there may be some new amsoil users. I have searched some (not all) of the oil related threads here. I did not see any opinions on oil mention a hefty (like 20%) increase in fuel economy. Not that it doesn't happen. I'd be more willing to trust a real world oil study vs a lab study any day.

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

I agree, but Amsoil has been out for many years and major increase in gas mileage would be known by the world by now wouldn't you think?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 08-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
Top Contributor

I have used Amsoil now for over a year and have not noticed any increase in fuel mileage. I never get the kind of mileage you stated. The bike shifts better, thats the only benefit I have noticed.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Full syn oils will help, but that much help seems excessive to me too.

I can get that sort of MPG's with full syn oils in the engine and the finals, but in order to get there needed a free flow intake a TFI and baggers, plus desert dawgs covers on the crash bars.

I run Mobil 1 full syn in each zone.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #9

Could it have been where you were riding? If you were riding in the mountain, at a higher elevation than usual you would see a big increase in MPG.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Mega-Contributor

I think the fantastic fuel economy increase attributed to Amsoil in this case is circumstantial at best. I'd expect to get much better mileage on a 3,000 cross country ride than in normal driving, regardless of what brand oil I put in the crankcase.

Hey, I wore my new HJC helmet on my Grand Canyon trip and I got 45 MPG. Everybody go buy an HJC IS-MAX BT helmet and you'll get 45 MPG, too. ::)
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Good one Scott. Too bad I already bought the HJC IS-33. I use need the increase in mpg's.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 08-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Now you tell me Scott! That mileage increase would have paid for the helmet already!! sheezz....

Hey bernsax we're just busting your chops.... there are many many long term "Gear Heads" on KawaNow and collectively we've been there and done that.

I did see that of all your 16 posts that 2 threads were started by you about the glory of Amsoil.

"Better gas mileage with Amsoil"
"Amsoil question for the oil experts"

When a newbie first comes on board and starts proclaiming the virtues of Amsoil in multiple threads my bird dog starts barkin'

Member # 0005

Old 08-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #13

I have run dino Spectro, Spectro Golden and Amsoil. No change in mpg and the reality is, my bike ran better on dino over them all. Let the bashing begin. I found I had more grip on hard accelleration with dino and the least with synthetic. Let the bashing begin.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to wompus

I've been a Ansoil dealer since around 1973 and I've used it in everything that needed oil ever sense!
My millage went up, but only by a few mpg. The millage doesn't mean a thing to me as much as the longevity of my engines mean to me.
I have a 79 Dodge van with over 364,000 miles on it and never had one problem with it, still has 60 lbs oil pressure!
Got it in my boat, weed eater, and everything I drive, and will never change to another oil!

Got my Harley buddy to try it and he admits his bike runs better and a lot cooler then it did before!

Mike "WOMPUS' Nieznany
1999 Nomad "Fronkensteen"
Viet Nam Vet 68-69-70
KawaNOW #00577
I'm sarcastic and have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against DRAMA, BULLSHIT & STUPIDITY!!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #15

Used to run Amsoil in my old Yamaha 650 back in the 80s. There was a definite substantial increase in the MPG when running it. But had to give it up as it got too expensive to keep running.

I run Mobil1 4 cycle synthetic now in the Nomad due to the moderate temps here in AZ.

In tracking mileage after I switched to Mobile 1 I did notice a 1-2 MPG increase. I have not tracked it this year, but have not been able to do alot of riding either.