Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 04-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Finally drove a big rig

Just started a new job delivering plants for a huge nursery here in the Virginia Beach area. I’ve been driving Class B trucks since December 2006, and nothing else since 1998 when I drove military trucks at Fort Devens, MA. Friday I arrived for work for my second day of training and there sat an International with a sleeper and a 60 foot reefer trailer and the regular driver was sitting in the passenger seat. Hmm, that meant that I was going to drive right off the bat. Okay, I can do this. I also hadn’t had much experience with the 10-speed transmission with the hi-lo toggle switch. Most of my driving had been with regular transmissions. Anyway, I almost stalled it, forgetting to release the airbrakes and away we go. The tractors I had driven in the military were either 5-ton or the air-assist transmission of the M915 or M916 and even then my time on those trucks was very limited. That country-western song, “Give Me 40 Acres” (to turn this rig around) came to mind as I negotiated my way out of the nursery complex and out to the main road. I got onto I64 heading toward I664 and across the Monitor-Merrimack Bridge Tunnel back to I64 heading west. Going in a straight line I was fine, but my shifting was somewhat rough. I turned off at the weigh-station and got back onto the highway and turned north on I295/95 up to I495. We headed for our first stop at a Costco in Leesburg. Driving on the secondary highway was a bit of a challenge with all the traffic lights and shifting. At our first stop I checked in at the delivery entrance and backed up to a loading door. I had thought that backing would be a problem for me, but that was much easier than I thought it would be. Shifting and making turns without clipping curbs and signs was the biggest challenge. Deliveries consisted of rolling off about ten carts at each Costco into the warehouse and loading on as many empty carts as we could. The other three stops were in Chantilly, Fairfax and Sterling, VA. On the second or third stop I turned off the main road and nearly caught the left front of a pickup truck. Fortunately I was looking out my mirror and stopped in time. A couple times I stalled out taking off from a traffic light. Not sure if I wasn’t giving it enough gas or if I was in high range. We made all our deliveries and stopped at a 7-11 store before we got on I95 to head back home. I asked the regular drive in all honesty how I did. He said I did fine. I made it back without incident and was relieved to know that I could handle a REAL truck. I will have to figure out how to smooth out my shifting and always be wary of that big-a## white thing that always follows me around. I don’t really care for the hours though. I worked 3:30 am – 4:30 pm my first day and 12:00 am – 12:00 pm on the tractor-trailer run. I will keep looking for another job with better hours, but for now I’m employed again after being laid off for 4 weeks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #2

Finally drove a big rig

Just like perfecting the Nomad in a parking lot......practice, practice, and more practice. Before you know it you will be training new drivers.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 04-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #3

Finally drove a big rig

Youll get the hang of it before long, back in 1977 I got a job driving one between Toronto and Montreal, first trip I clipped the mirror and broke the glass, second trip I backed into a low eavestrough on a building and jammed the roll up door a bit.
Then the third trip a front tire blew on me, and scared the crap out of me. After that I had no more incidents and drove trucks for years. It was all good experience for me now that I look back.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #4

Finally drove a big rig

Good job man.
They are fun...although it's been years since I've been behind the wheel of one.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 04-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #5

Finally drove a big rig

Way to go Bruce. Always fun to learn something new. Did it about 10 years ago for a bit. Also drove a tow truck. Backing up a big rig on the hook is double the fun, two pivot points. You will be fine, just like the bike, always stay attentive.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #6

Finally drove a big rig

It won't take long to get used to it. I've driven them for several years growing up on the farm and with my part time job in college. They demand a lot of respect, but they are a lot of fun, at least for me.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:05 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Finally drove a big rig

dont worry about the hours too much... when you stop stalling and grinding the gears you should shave a few hours off your day. it all takes time and patience with the roadranger boxes, and by the sound of it you did a lot better than a lot of blokes i have trained. the real fun bit is that no 2 gearboxes are the same (even if the trucks are identical in spec) so it will always be entertaining to drive one.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #8

Finally drove a big rig

Way to go with the job. A big rig is just that..a big rig. I put on over 2 million miles on super b trains and they are a handful in the ice roads. Its very simliar to riding a bike..pay attention, look ahead and around you..you'll do just fine..way to go bro..Bdog

Old 04-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #9

Finally drove a big rig

Been doin it over 30 years now, and it's not fun any more. It's a job, it feeds the family, but that said, just be safe out there. Remember that everyone is out there to get into your pocket...cops, vendors, you name it, it's all about the money. Trucking has changed drastically, and not everyone who gets behind the wheel can make the grade.